New International School

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

New International School

Post by SuperTonic »

Just wondering if there's any truth in this. I've heard from a friend that there is to be a new international school on Soi 94 or 96.. truth or random rumour?
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

It's already there - but not strictly an International school

It's called Yamsaard.

It has an extended English Programme, in that English (Obvious), Science and Maths are taught in English.

The Social Sciences etc are taught in Thai.

It's a brand new facility and some of it has yet to be finished but they opened as promised in May.

I moved my two sons there from Somtawin, and although they work much harder at school, get more homework, better discipline and are taught basically 50 / 50 - they love it!!!!!!!!

I must stress that as a parent, I want my kids to be taught matters Thai as well as English. This is because as a family we have no intention of moving elsewhere. In this respect Somtawin did not cut it. They had one hour a day of Thai in the 'English Programme' - (The legal minimum).
OK if your family is transient.

Yamsaard has already got three Campuses in BKK, they've been running this type of educational programme for nearly 20 years and a friend of mine has had his daughter there for 4 years very successfully.

From what I've seen thus far I'm very impressed, which is more than I could say about 4 years of Somtawin - who seem to have lost the plot.

There are some good teachers at Somtawin but unfortunately the Management are more interested in making money than providing a good education - my personal opinion.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Could be Yamsaard school they're talking about, checked it out the other day and it looks like a promising alternative to Somtawin.

More info here: http://www.expathuahin.com/schools-huahin.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

From what I've seen thus far I'm very impressed, which is more than I could say about 4 years of Somtawin - who seem to have lost the plot.
That's spot on as all of us are really moving backwards here at Somtawin rather than trying to improve!!
There are some good teachers at Somtawin but unfortunately the Management are more interested in making money than providing a good education - my personal opinion.
Yes, as it's such an extortionate rate for a school with 200+ students and 30+ teachers. Check these rates against other english taught schools and you'll realise that it's actually not that bad.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

GLCQuantum

1) I DID say personal opinion
2) I know that you are a teacher at Somtawin and would therefore be defensive.
3) Somtawin is definitely not expensive compared to the Bangkok establishments.
4) FACT - Yamsaard fees are cheaper than Somtawin - only just - but nevertheless cheaper.

Somtawin's management have been promising improvements for so long, without any real results - they are an embarrassment.

The new school beyond the byepass is scheduled to open August - is that this year or next?

I REPEAT - there are some good teachers at Somtawin - but the management have lost the plot and frankly I have every sympathy with ANY teacher who tries to do a good job there. It's sad - very sad.

You stated

'Yes, as it's such an extortionate rate for a school with 200+ students and 30+ teachers. Check these rates against other english taught schools and you'll realise that it's actually not that bad.'

I just feel that my family (and I have to kids to pay for) are getting better value for money all round.

Yamsaard just fits the bill for my family situation - simple
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Understood Terry,

After speaking to parents that were pulling kids out of Somtawin the main reason given was the minimal amount of Thai lessons as you have stated. Others just simply didn't like the school.

All I can say is that all the teachers we have here really are working their socks off to try to make Somtawin the best teaching environment possible, and it's no easy task I can assure you.

Having taught the older of your 2 boys over the last few years I wish them all the best at their new school and hope that everything works out well.
deemakmak
Novice
Novice

Post by deemakmak »

Edited: decided expressing my views on somtawin management may be a bad idea
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Edited: decided expressing my views on somtawin management may be a bad idea
Very informative first post 'dee mak mak'.

Could you fill us in as we are open to constructive critisism yet some are lacking the vocabulary to do so, so can only opt for slander. :roll:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Yamsaard is not an International School, not quite finished yet but open. Looks a very promising place to send your kids to get a good balance of English and Thai schooling though
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

JG

Ref my post of 25th June - I did say that Yamsaard is not strictly an international school.

A little early progress report from my two lads.

1) They say that they work a lot harder than at Somtawin - BUT THEY LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!
2) They certainly get a lot more homework
3) My eldest boys reading skills in Thai and English have improved dramaticaly
4) Their manners are EVEN better!
5) They dont miss Somtawin.

Now this is not an anti Somtawin post - just an accurate reflection of two innocent minds.

I've spoken to two other parents who have moved their kids there and it seems that there are similar encouraging results.

I'm hoping the trend continues.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Would like to hear how this school is going on now 9 months on, hopefully all the construction has been completed. When I visited June 2007 it was open but not finished.
Is it a compulsive money making machine like so many other paying schools or is it well balanced on this front and most importantly are the kids getting a good education?
buksida

Post by buksida »

It looks the part but is obscenely expensive for kindergarten as I have just found out, going to wait another year or so to see how it comes along.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Hi Buksi

When we went last June the cost was 60K a year so my gf tells me. We have the brochure and price list somewhere but I can't be bothered to ask her to dig it out. My recollection was about 1K uk pounds or just under which would have been nearer to 70K baht a year. I didn't find that way over the top at the time if the quality was good. I'm not really able to afford it myself as not retired yet and having to trawl back and forth to make a living.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Mrs buksi went there last week, they've put the prices up for Anuban 1-3 as follows:

Two terms (one year) : 80,000
Lunch (one year) : 8,000

Just under 100k or 8,200 baht per month, this didn't include any uniforms, books, transportation or extras.

I found this rather excessive for kindergarten (I'll have two going there soon) which is essentially play-learning so we decided to leave him where he is at Prattana for another year.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nothing to do with this topic really but having put our daughter in Prattana after hearing about it on here, she loves it and thats what counts the most as far as I'm concerned. My wife tells me that they do teach a bit of English there but I suppose its not much. Hopefully she will get to speak English with some of the other Thai/English kids. Its also convenient being just down the road but of course, once she gets a bit older then we'll have to start looking into other schooling. Just as a matter of interest, until what age do Prattana cater for?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact