California Mining Cantina

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

California Mining Cantina

Post by hhfarang »

I've eaten at the California Mining Cantina several times since it opened a few weeks ago (I love Mexican food and was elated when I heard about the place). I have never been disappointed and I've sent many friends there and have not had any serious complaints. As with any restaurant in Thailand trying to serve specific types of international food, they have had and are still having some start-up growing pains. Good supplies for Mexican food are hard to come by and it takes time to train Thai chefs to cook dishes that are alien to them. As another reviewer said, the owners welcome comments and criticism and seem to be genuinely interested in making changes for the better. It is located in the former location of Papa John's across and down the soi a bit from the Sofitel.

Besides Mexican food they also have New Orleans style Cajun food and the best BBQ ribs I've had in Thailand (and I love ribs so I try them every time I see them on a menu). They also have steaks, western breakfasts and Thai food (which I have not tried).

As for the Mexican food, The fajitas, the quesadilla, and the margaritas are all excellent (from personal experience). I had the Mexican combination plate when they first opened (beef taco, pork burrito, and chicken enchalida choices) and it wasn't the best I've ever had but it was good, and definitely the best in Hua Hin!

I would ask JW to please state exactly what he ate there that was so bad as they have a huge menu and I'm sure there must be room for improvement in some areas, but if it was one of the Mexican dishes I mentioned, it's just a matter of personal taste.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi hhfarang,

Sorry if my post seemed harsh but i went with high hopes of good Mexican food and i was disappointed. I had potatoe skins with cheese and sour cream (they were soggy i think they may not have been fresh potatoes, not sure). I think i had a chicken burrito, wasnt fresh chicken (it wasnt bad it was just tiny pieces) and i am sure that the sauce was out of a can - there didnt seem to be anything fresh in it.
It had also definitley been warmed in the microwave, which made everything a sloppy mess.
Having said that i did go in the afternoon, maybe the chefs were out - i will try again and let you all know what happens.
The american rib company serves Mexican, and i wasnt impressed with that either.
Let me know what dishes you have tried and i will give them a try.

Cheers,

JW
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JW,

Your previous post makes me wonder who's plate the food had been on the previous night :twisted:

Sounds disgusting!
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Big Boy,

Wasnt good, but its only been open a short while so i will give it another try, would really love some good fajitas with guacamole and the works.

Not long now btw!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

To get good, partially crisp potato skins you have to oven bake them and that takes a long time and perhaps they're not sure who will buy that day? Then the question, what do you do with the potato meat you scoop out? In the western world I think restaurants buy potato skins already partially de-stuffed which take much less time to prepare properly. Pedro :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

JW,

I haven't tried the potato skins. I ate there again last week and had the fillet steak. It was tender and tasty. I have added it to my list of things they do well and I will order it again in the future!
I.O.U.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by I.O.U. »

Went there twice in 3 months both times the food sucked,meet the owner who told me his staff were trained by huahin rib co.food sucks there too which I dont understand because there sister diner in bkk (Bangkok rib co.) is one of my locals in bkk.I have heard there is another place in hh with good mex & steaks that has an Irish name or something like that.Will try there the next time I visit.The best steak I have had to now in hh was at the fresh inn(not cheap.).
Can someone tell me where to get a decent breakfast when I visit some where like the pig n whistle.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I.O.U.,

This has been the subject of many posts in the past - here's a couple to whet your appetite

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/wh ... 5800.html?

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/br ... 5727.html?

Points 51; Position 21
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I dont think Crawfords breakfast is half as good as it used to be.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a shame, I was going to give them a try this visit. Has the quality gone down since the new owner took over? :cry:

Points 51; Position 21
tigger

Mexican Food

Post by tigger »

Been reading with interest about Mexican food. What suprises me was Richards comment saying he had heard that el murphys was "dodgy". I have eaten there quite alot this time round and must say that most things I have tried are not only tasty and good value but also Authentic. Not TexMex style that alot of brits and americans are used to. I appreciate his comment was made in February, so perhaps he has now HEARD different. Finally, from the amount of postings richard has made I WOULD EXPECT HIM TO BE A LITTLE MORE PROFESSIONAL AND ACTUALLY TRY A PLACE BEFORE THROWING INSULTS. ........... your surnames not Head by any chance?????????????????
buksida

Post by buksida »

Amazing how many new members are so enthusiastic about Mexican food living in Southeast Asia, must admit I quite like the stuff myself.

Welcome to HHAD BTW, hope you guys have a few more interests that you can post about aside from enchiladas.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Tigger

Head is not the surname and do not remember making any derogatory remarks about the establishment

My posts are based on personal experience not heresay

:guns:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
tigger

Post by tigger »

" EL MURPYS I have heard is dodgy" Thought you said personal experience not heresay???? May have quoted wrong... silly me
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

No worry Tigger

Personal experience was sitting there alone and waiting 20 minutes for a beer

A one off, I admit, but leaves a sour taste in your mouth And a thirst !!!:cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.