Music - what are people listening to now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Re: Music - what are people listening to now?

Post by Kraka's Dad »

That's him playing Soothsayer
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, Saul Hudson thought he was good......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

These lads were on the news tonight (UK) and seem to have found some fame of late.

All good fun! And Bristolians to boot BB! :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8BvYN ... SoXGSrfaBA

:cheers: :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:00 am These lads were on the news tonight (UK) and seem to have found some fame of late.

All good fun! And Bristolians to boot BB! :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8BvYN ... SoXGSrfaBA

That's brilliant!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Most appropriate for today, these two Canadian kids are giffted:

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Benee from NZ. interestingvocals and lyrics
PeteC

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by PeteC »

This could be watching and/or listening to. 37 years later kids have discovered a song that they apparently really like. Originally in 1985 it only got to #3, yesterday it was #1. :shock:

Kate Bush says the 'world has gone mad' over Stranger Things song

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61885400

Singer Kate Bush has said her sudden popularity with a new audience after her recent Stranger Things-inspired chart success has been "very special".

Running Up That Hill went to number one on Friday after being featured heavily in Netflix's sci-fi drama series.

"It's just extraordinary," she told BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour on Wednesday.

"It's such a great series. I thought that the track would get some attention. But I just never imagined that it would be anything like this."

She continued: "It's so exciting. But it's quite shocking really, isn't it? I mean, the whole world's gone mad."

The song originally reached number three in 1985, but took off again 37 years later when a new generation discovered it through Stranger Things.

The tune is used in a number of episodes of the fourth series, and becomes crucial for the character of Max Mayfield, played by Sadie Sink.

In a rare interview, the 63-year-old singer told presenter Emma Barnett it felt "wonderful" that her music had "got to a whole new audience", many of whom had previously not heard of her.

"The thought of all these really young people hearing the song for the first time and discovering it is, well, I think it's very special," she said.

Asked whether it was important for her that the song helps a female character, Bush, who has been a fan of the show since it began, replied: "I think they've put it in a really special place.

"The Duffer brothers created the series and actually we watched it from the first series onwards, so I was already familiar with the series. And I thought, what a lovely way for the song to be used in such a positive way.

"You know, as a kind of talisman almost for Max. And yeah, I think it's very touching, actually."

Running Up That Hill has also recently gone to number one in countries including Australia, Belgium and Sweden, and number four in the US - her first ever appearance in the Billboard top five.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

^ The old ones are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Kate Bush was superb - as were many others of that generation..... My time of course!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Carlos Santana: Legendary US guitarist collapses on stage

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62059167

Legendary US guitarist Carlos Santana has collapsed on stage during an open-air concert near Detroit, Michigan.

Medical personnel treated the 74-year-old in Clarkston on Tuesday, and he was taken to a local hospital's emergency department for observation.

Santana, who was born in Mexico, later wrote on his Facebook page that he "forgot to eat and drink water" and "so I dehydrated and passed out".

His manager Michael Vrionis said the musician was doing well.

However, he added that a show planned for Wednesday in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania, "will be postponed to a later date".

Footage has emerged showing Santana being helped off stage at Clarkson's Pine Knob Music Theatre. In the video, the star waved to the audience as he was wheeled away on a stretcher.

Representatives for the 10-time Grammy Award winner said he was suffering from "heat exhaustion and dehydration".

The guitarist and his band Santana have been touring in North America with their Miraculous Supernatural show.

They rose to fame in the 1960s and 70s, pioneering a fusion of rock 'n' roll and Latin American jazz.

Among the band's biggest hits are Black Magic Woman, The Game of Love and Oye Como Va.

Today, Santana is considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time, thanks to a distinctive style characterised by long, sustained notes, dextrous runs and Latin rhythms.

Prince called him a bigger influence than Jimi Hendrix, saying: "Santana played prettier."

In 1998, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2015, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him 20th on a list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

Last February, Santana and other members of the band tested positive for Covid and had to cancel several shows.

In December, the guitarist cancelled a number of performances in Las Vegas after he had an unspecified and unscheduled heart procedure.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I remember my first holiday abroad to Spain in either 1971 or 72 and walking along the beach they were playing Santana’s Samba Pa Ti - I loved it then and still love it now
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:42 pm I remember my first holiday abroad to Spain in either 1971 or 72 and walking along the beach they were playing Santana’s Samba Pa Ti - I loved it then and still love it now
It may sound silly to say that a war made a musician, but his music exploded during the Vietnam episode starting in about 1970 (especially Black Magic Woman), and is held dear by everyone I know from that time. I hope he pulls through whatever is wrong with him. :(
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:42 pm I remember my first holiday abroad to Spain in either 1971 or 72 and walking along the beach they were playing Santana’s Samba Pa Ti - I loved it then and still love it now
It may sound silly to say that a war made a musician, but his music exploded during the Vietnam episode starting in about 1970 (especially Black Magic Woman), and is held dear by everyone I know from that time. I hope he pulls through whatever is wrong with him. :(
One of the first albums I bought in 8-track stereo format for my car (a 1957 Morris Minor) was Abraxas!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A good few years back I bought a Paul Reed Smith guitar to try and capture that Santana sound. Never came close... :laugh: :laugh: :bow:
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.68 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.