Walking Street or Not? Make it clear!!

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Walking Street or Not? Make it clear!!

Post by GLCQuantum »

Good Morning, Afternoon and Evening all,
Now I know this topic has been brought up before in a thread but after nearly colliding with drunken tourists on three occasions tonight (which is not the first time) I think this topic is worthy of being brought up again in an attempt to make tourists more aware that these sois are not like "Walking Street' in Pattaya but actually are roads that are used all night, every night by every automoblile you can name.

At least twice a week I like to go down to the seafood restaurants on the beach road ( sorry don't know the actual name of the road, should do after 3 years in Hua Hin) and coming from "Cole's Fish and Chip Shop" towards "Buffalo Bills" it seems that none of the tourists realise that this is a road of which automobiles go down. I am forever dodging the drunk or not drunk Farang/Farangs walking in the middle of the road. Soi Binthabat is even worse, with Soi Poolsuk not trailing that far behind.

Not that it should be necassary but maybe signs stating in BOLD " YES, THESE CARS AND BIKES DO TRAVEL DOWN HERE AT ALL TIMES, PLEASE BE AWARE" could be located at every entrance to these Sois as, IMHO, tourists do not realise about the dangers of oncoming traffic mowing them down within these Sois.

I also see crazy brain dead plonkers absolutely belting it down these Sois as if they are trying to break the sound barrier :guns: and god forbid a tourist or their child should step out into the middle of the roads on these occasions as the police will be given the job of picking up the pieces ( and limbs! )

Don't know what I or we can do to solve this matter but maybe we can initiate a plan of action to make people more aware OR try to get a ban on all automobiles driving down certain Sois at nightime.

Looking for a solution. :|
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

If your travelling from Cols to Buffalo Bills your going the wrong way down a one way street.

Having said that i do agree that many tourists walk around like they are on Mars and really do get in the way on the roads... its like their brains are turned off at the airport.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

It's all about getting coach access into the Hilton. Coming from Soffitel end at the end of the Hilton driving entrance, ie: where their ramp goes down to the underground car park, there is a No Entry sign on the right.

In otherwords you shouldn't drive past the Hilton when going towards Col's/Buffallo Bills etc.

Burger
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sorry about the illegal driving there JW, sometimes it is easy to forget the one way system when you're following 20 other bikes/cars :oops:

Anywho, even driving up the other way or down Binthabat/Poolsuk I seem to get the same situation arise.

Maybe I'm just getting an unlucky run.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably a controversial reply, but do you really need to do anything? Obviously Thai pavements are inadequate - either that or the roads came before the mass increase of motorised vehicles. However, because of the danger that should be evident to everybody, most people take extra care.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that these places are dangerous, so every level headed person should take the extra care necessary.

In several accident black-spots in the UK recently, they have removed all road markings. The theory being that the confusion will cause people to slow down, and take more care.

The way I've seen Thais (and a few idiot copy cat Farang) drive, I don't really think pedestrianising the road in question would solve much - policing such a large area would be very labour intensive. I don't think you would stop the 'idiot' driver taking his/her normal route.

There isn't much comparison with Walking Street in Pattaya, which is just one popular street - with a very good by-pass already in place to avoid it. Yes, you could pedestrianise Binthabat, but I don't think the OP's suggestion would be feasible - too large an area, affecting many routes.

It is unfortunate, but the area of Hua Hin in question is a small fishing village with roads to match (and are a massive part of the town's character), unless you start ripping down buildings and rebuilding to cater for decent pavements, my personal opinion is that the only way forward is to take extra care.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

However, because of the danger that should be evident to everybody, most people take extra care.
I agree with you completely and I DO drive with extreme caution when driving round this area but, when given a nanosecond to avoid a clueless pedestrian it doesn't seem to make a smidgen of a difference.
It doesn't take a genius to realise that these places are dangerous, so every level headed person should take the extra care necessary.
Problem being we are dealing with a great deal of NOT level headed people walking in that area.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Police have just walked through the door.

Heard about me 'driving the wrong way down a one way road'.

200 baht worse off.

Damn this forum!! :cry:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

To give the OP the benefit of the doubt when supposedly 'driving the wrong way'. The permanent sign by the Hilton used to be a no entry sign but was changed some months ago and states quite clearly in Thai and English that CARS are prohibited. Not anything about other forms of transport. There is a temporary sign on the ground but that's all written in Thai of course.
Lots of signs around Hua Hin are either missing or incorrect and their are times when police will stop you for going the wrong way although in some situations there isn't a single sign to inform you of this. Okay for those of us that live here but visitors have no chance.

Take care out there.
tj

Post by tj »

This has always been a sore point for me. :guns: Cannot understand how they still allow traffic down the main soi past hilton esp during the high season. I know they have to allow some traffic into the hilton but these should be the only vehicles allowed and then only at specific times.(eg. not between 18:00 till 22:00).
This would allow the majority of tourists a free go at wandering around the area and make dining within this area a lot more pleasant.
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

tj wrote:
Cannot understand how they still allow traffic down the main soi past hilton esp during the high season. I know they have to allow some traffic into the hilton but these should be the only vehicles allowed and then only at specific times.(eg. not between 18:00 till 22:00).
This would allow the majority of tourists a free go at wandering around the area and make dining within this area a lot more pleasant.
Do you really think this would make things safer?

How would somebody policing the situation know if the traffic is legitimate Hilton traffic, or somebody just taking a short cut? I'm sure if anybody was stopped, they'd soon say they were just going to the Hilton.

I just don't believe it would stop all Thais (including a few idiot copy cat Farang) - If they'll drive the wrong way up a busy dual carriageway, a simple 'don't go there' sign isn't going to stop anybody.

They're all meant to wear helmets on their motorbikes, but how many do? TIT.

At least the way it is now the danger is visible. Its visible to the extent that most people take that extra care necessary. Make the traffic levels neglible, and that additional care will go away - people will become complacent. Then when the next vehicle comes along legitimately (to access the Hilton) or otherwise, you have a life threatening situation on your hands.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think you guys know what's going to happen, but I'll say it anyway. As tourism increases in HH, you're going to lose at least 2 soi's of the old, wooden structures up from the beach road where the pier restaurants are.

Then, you will indeed have a walking street/promenade area where people can roam in safety day and night.

From an outsiders point of view and seeing what has happened elsewhere in tourist areas here, this point really stood out when we were down there in December. Most of the area is just too narrow and dated for what is happening now.

I would be surprised if it's not already on the agenda at the city council. Growth ain't always good, you lose the charm. :( Pete
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sure, like the bar area will be zoned (3 years ago and they're building a new bar next to the temple wall across from JW's( recently refurbished)) and the restaurants on the beach side of the front road are going to be pulled down to open the beach (2 years ago). TIT
Go to the municipality building and you can see the plans. Blow the dust off first.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree with the above, there are too many people making too much money from the existing businesses and rents to move over and let the bulldozers come through in a hurry.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

HHTEL

Who's money in invested in the Hilton?

Think about it
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

richard wrote:HHTEL

Who's money in invested in the Hilton?

Think about it
Paris Hilton? Please get some photos.... :D Pete