Grilled Rat

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Grilled Rat

Post by Jaime »

I would like to try some rat over new year but Mrs Jaime tells me that it is out of season. The correct time is when the rice is high apparently.

Does anyone know if rat is currently available in Hua Hin and if so, where?

This is not a joke.

I would also be interested in eating badger or similar. Rats and/or badger should preferably be wild, not farmed or city bred.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Would mouse do? Same word in Thai. If mouse is suitable, you're welcome to come to the Dog Center or my previous house & catch as many as you need for your repast, Jaime. I won't miss a few! :shock:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I think mouse will be too small. I want something more like this:

dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Looks delicious !!!!
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I saw sign for grilled field rat between Bangkok and Ayuthaya (western ring road) the other day.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I ate a badgers arse once. Well... it tasted like a badgers arse!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Those field rats are supposed to taste delicious? Can't say I've ever eaten one - knowingly. The ex used to go on about them in Buriram.
Each to their own, Jaime. Reckon I'll try to keep to seasonal birds this festive season.
Now then, how many of those sparrows, starlings or mynahs at Saturkan Square do you think it would take to feed a family of 10? :idea:
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Try the "pork" from the stall on the corner of the Canal Road and Soi 6 at Bo Fai. 20 baht buys about 4 flanks of rat.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Grilled Rat

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:I would like to try some rat over new year but Mrs Jaime tells me that it is out of season. The correct time is when the rice is high apparently.

Does anyone know if rat is currently available in Hua Hin and if so, where?

This is not a joke.

I would also be interested in eating badger or similar. Rats and/or badger should preferably be wild, not farmed or city bred.
Since my pussy was stolen I have plenty but I don't think they would satisfy your appetite even If I was quick enough to catch the buggers.

There is a restaurant that I have been in on the road to Pala-U just past Nong Plub on the left where they were skinning a badger like creature. I have been told by a friend of mine that there a a few restaurants up that way that cater for these bizarre tastes. I have been assure that no endangered species are consumed. There are also larger rodents that are eaten that slightly resemble Guinea Pigs.

If you are serious I can arrange for you or the missus to have a chat with him and get directions.

When I went to the restaurant that was skinning a badger I promptly returned and changed mu order to Tom Yung Kung to be absolutely sure I knew what I was eating.

BTW, just a reminder in case too get too exited. The killing and consumption of any species of cat or Gibbon in Thailand is illegal. They are all endangered unless you want to eat one of those scabby feral things that spends half its life in a garbage sack.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

to which regular poster does your last sentence refer?

maybe this should be the alternative Christmas quiz?
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rats I can understand and some residing at Dawn's old place may very well be plump due to their diet of kibble left about.

As far as badgers and other similar, don't forget where SARS came from in HK and southern China, civit cats which are somewhere in the racoon family I think. No thank you. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Stu-Pot

Weird food

Post by Stu-Pot »

While we are on the subject, I had the opportunity to sample "Ant egg curry" recently. Eggs are complete with bay ants inside.

First & last time!!!!!!!

At Baan Isaan near Dusit. I will certainly be returning for the other GREAT food, but NOT the Ant Egg curry.

Bon appetite!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jim wrote:to which regular poster does your last sentence refer?

maybe this should be the alternative Christmas quiz?
LOL. Well done Jim.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

prcscct wrote:
As far as badgers and other similar, don't forget where SARS came from in HK and southern China, civit cats which are somewhere in the racoon family I think. No thank you. :shock: Pete :cheers:

This is why I stick to vegetables and fish mostly. The odd bit of chicken now and again.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

I do remember being in Billy's ages ago and seeing a huge rodent scampering around, which one friend's wife spotted with an enthusiastic "a loi". It's good to fit in, but some local habits I can leave.

(and I'm sure Billy no longer has any of the critters)
ดวงขึ้น
จิม