Taxation on my UK Pension

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Big Boy wrote:
Another part of my now crumbling cunning plan was that if any of us developed a serious disease such as Cancer, we would return to the UK at a rate of knots, and benefit from all of that National Insurance I've paid. I guess thats another re-think, or does it work a bit like visa renewals ie pop back to the UK for a quick holiday every 2 years and 11 months?
I don't think it is crumbling. As it was when I left the UK, NI was a separtate issue from National pension and run from two different offices even though your NI partly went towards your state pension.

Except for income taxation purposes, private pension or health schemes are none of their business.

The fact that you have been credited an NI stamp every week until your are sixty five surely the entitles you to claim from the NHS for the rest of your life. I belive this applies in any Europena Union country also). I would not be surprised though if the UK ultra right wing government has changed to rules to pay for F16s and other hardware and all the immigrants it has had to take from Somalia, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Definitely check out the site listed above, apparently they (UK Gov) are getting quiite good with their web sites now that they have found it is cheaper than employing loads of people to answer phones. It can be difficult to get to the English Language section so a basic knowledge of Arabic or Urdu is always advisable as I believe English is being pushed into the third language now in the UK. (Where you are I suppose you could always try Welsh).

This is another good topic and it woud be interesting to hear of peoples actual situations rather than the speculations of the guy in the pub who knows more after each beer Chang.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

This could have been speculation about a month ago. From now on farrangs wishing to stay in Thailand with their Thai spouses will need to have and prove an income of no less than 40,000 baht per month.
What's wrong with SPECULATING?
And I will hazard at a guess, the next one will be. Retirement visa, need to show proof of no less than 65,000 per month. Forget the 800,000 baht in the bank.
Please tell me, where will those policies leave most farrangs?
I'd say.............In the shit!
¼Ã
pookie

Post by pookie »

Onlyme wrote:And I will hazard at a guess, the next one will be. Retirement visa, need to show proof of no less than 65,000 per month. Forget the 800,000 baht in the bank.
I thought this was the case anyway............the 800,000 is good for the FIRST year only. After that you have to show a monthly income.
Anyone clarify?

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pookie wrote:
Onlyme wrote:And I will hazard at a guess, the next one will be. Retirement visa, need to show proof of no less than 65,000 per month. Forget the 800,000 baht in the bank.
I thought this was the case anyway............the 800,000 is good for the FIRST year only. After that you have to show a monthly income.
Anyone clarify?

Pookie
Using the US as an example, you can be bloody rich and retire when you're 25 if you want but, you will not receive any Social Security retirement funds until you are 62 at minimum. This means any monthly income would be coming from investments and/or bank interest. 65,000 per month relates to about $1,750 USD. This would cut probably about 80% of retirees with cash but inadequate monthly income. The other 20% would probably opt for a place other than here. They may as well just cancel the retirement visa option unless all the want here are geriatrics. Pete
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

taxation on my uk pension

Post by sargeant »

Pookie that has been he case exactomondo for the last 3 years i have been on a retirement visa. I have to show a bankbook with 70,000 a month as 65,000 X 12 doesnt equal 800,000 for the year.
A geriatric i am, a walking cess pit of cancer alzhiemers and bovinespongeyformencepalopathy. Oh and high blood pressure caused by having to pay 183.76 pounds a month tax to the U.K.
I know which country pi@@e@ me of most and it aint this one
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

Let's look at the situation from a Thai perspective.
About 3 years ago they decided to change the immigration laws regarding retirement visas for 50 year olds and marriage to support Thai spouse.
They gave "Grandad rights" to retirees and doubled "Support of Thai spouse."
They've now gone and altered "Right to support a Thai spouse."
In my book that's a "Double whammy" if you're married to a Thai.
They've been pretty good with the retirement visa ( probably because they think they're getting more cash.)
It's only a matter of time before they stop the "loophole" of 800,000 baht in the bank.
WHERE WILL MOST OF YOU BE THEN?
¼Ã
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Rubbish,
The only only thing that's changed for a "marriage extension" is from 400k to 40k per month.
40kx12 months is 480k.
Wow, they've ripped us off for 80k?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:? My head is starting to hurt, too much information :?

I am 50 years old, and married to a Thai wife. Do I need a retirement visa, or a Support of Thai Spouse visa?

Regarding the financial side, if its a retirement visa, I've read that the qualifying amount can be mix n'match ie if I had a pension of 35,000 Baht per month, does that mean I would have to show 400,000 Baht in the Bank to qualify?

Likewise, if its a Support of Thai Spouse visa, if I had an income of 20,000 Baht per month, does that mean I would have to show 160,000 Baht in the Bank to qualify?

Thanks as usual in advance for your words of wisdom.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BB,
As far as I'm aware, it's as simple as this.
Retirement - 50 yrs+, 800,000 in a bank, or 65,000 per month.
Marraige - 40k per month. If you have had an extension already, then for marraiage, 400,000 comes into it.
Welcome to the Land of Smiles.
I never wanted to marry anyone for nothing!!!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I should say this, that as far as I'm aware, the 40,000 for marriage can now be joint income.
C'mon missus, earn a crust.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Only me sorry but i will still be right here :D because the people who were signed up to retirement visas when it was 400K are still on 400K
i am on 800K and it will remain so until i am BBQd at wat borfie they may change the figure later but so far it has never been made retrospective

Lomu 1st year i was told to produce a bank account showing 65K a month for 2nd year renewal which mrs sarge did exactely. She was told that it was short of the 800K but never mind next year show a few extra payments to add up to 800K she now puts 70K a month and 3 months ago 3rd year low and behold no probs all done dusted and out in 30 mins tops
We were specifically told that the 800K option was only allowed for the initial application
I would hazard a guess the 40K a month is a similar sort of maths and that if your bank book showed 33,333 baht each month it would be accepted although it might raise a few eyebrows only a guess though

Big boy mix n match is exactely right for retirement i did that but same as above for renewal, Dont know for marriage.

Marriage visa if you can do a retirement visa then 400K for a marriage visa shouldnt be a problem however i did read on a thread somwhere marriage visas have to be done in BKK I dont know where for sure but i did read it honest
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yes sargeant, you are right about that you have to go to Bangkok to get your 400K approval, this can not be done in Hua Hin any longer.

If you have 800K you need to show your bankbook at the imm. office together with a statement from the bank that you are their cusomer indeed.

If you don't have 800K, but your income is 65.000 (or more), then you will need a statement from your embassy in Bangkok to verify this.
You don't need to show your bankbook to the imm. then.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

100% correct up to the 2nd year renewal i have just advised my mate down the street and walked him through it successfully that was last month and in hua hin. :D
He has had to open an account to show his 70K a month for his first renewal (next Oct) as per instructions of imm staff same same umwah :D
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Don't let this person mislead you.
Retirement - 800k or 65k per month.
Marriage 400k or 40k per month.
The only thing that has changed is for the married one. Unless you have had an extension before, the 400k is academic.
Those, as far as I'm aware, are the rules now.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Lomu not trying to mislead anybody i qualified what i said about marriage visa with (i will hazard a guess)( only a guess though) (dont know for marriage)
However on retirement visas i am explainig everything that has transpired with me and my mate including hoops and hurdles and statements made by imm hua hin they are facts not guesses and have worked

I will agree however that it is complicated and me and my mate are only 2 cases out of thousands but they are 2 successful cases