Cheap food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

BaaBaa I have never eaten in that Swedish Bar, but have drank in the bar by the road a few times.
Always found the girls that worked in that part very good to talk to and could also spreak pretty good English
:cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Was around Midday when i ate their and was also returning back to England that day. Wasnt in the best of moods anyway having to leave my Lady Friend and Thailand after a month. Maybe just a bad day. Will have to give it a try for drinks when i return in December. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I tried that Swedish Bar a couple of years ago and vowed never to return again - overpriced, small helpings and poor quality.

A bit off thread, but Chelsea wrote:
BTW, you have missed one item from your message at the bottom of your messages. I think it should also read "Already knocked out of the League Cup by Walsall".
I've told you many times, after so many years as a Plymouth supporter, I'm a realist. Plymouth are never going to win the competition, so drop out of it as soon as possible. Sir Alex had a similar view for many years, and would only play a reserve team - albeit he wanted out because it wasn't worth winning, not because his team weren't good enough. I am actually delighted Plymouth are out of the competition - survival in the Championship is far more important.

To keep you happy, I've changed the message anyway :cheers:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Duplicated posting - sorry
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Agree BaaBaa,
if it's good old Scandinavian comfort-food you're after you'll have to go
"Eriksson's vardshus"
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Arai? Was looking for somewhere within touching distance with Thai food for the lady friend and something resembling western food for my breakfast.
I did not expect to be presented with what looked like a large findus crispy pancake but actually tasted worse. :cry:
Crawfords everytime next time im craving a big english breakfast or a wander upto kims if with GF. :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I know that the quality of street restaurants can be a bit erratic, but one that I’ve found good recently is on the pavement opposite the Palace, near the Parachute Regiment HQ. You are eating on the side of the main road, but the food is very good for the price. I asked my partner for the name of it and she looked at the sign and replied “restaurant opposite the Palaceâ€
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

for those who like a Korean BBQ there is one on Kan Khlong road called prannees Buffet

On the 16th 17th and 18th november she is having a promotion

Food 49 baht per head all you can eat and buy 3 three jugs of draft chang and get one jug free
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Gin Lairk - open air restaurant on Petchkasem road not far from Sailom Hotel & on same side of road. Authentic, reasonably priced food & very popular with Thais.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jaime, since you've surfaced. Crossword, forget how many letters but, the clue was Welsh Rabbit. I don't think I'm off thread, by too much?! :shock: Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

prcscct wrote:Jaime, since you've surfaced. Crossword, forget how many letters but, the clue was Welsh Rabbit. I don't think I'm off thread, by too much?! :shock: Pete :cheers:
Cheese on toast? Don't shoot me, Jaime. Thought it was something like that?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:
prcscct wrote:Jaime, since you've surfaced. Crossword, forget how many letters but, the clue was Welsh Rabbit. I don't think I'm off thread, by too much?! :shock: Pete :cheers:
Cheese on toast? Don't shoot me, Jaime. Thought it was something like that?
This is a PEETA sponsored post :D. My damn newspaper has gone to the recycling old lady already! I thought it was one word and about 6-8 letters? Have I seen something like Welsh-rarebit or Welsh-rarebet written somewhere before, maybe on a menu? I have no idea if this is a dish or not, I don't travel in those circles...LOL.

I think this clue was actually asking the one word name of a 'Welsh Rabbit'??? And if it was, why are the special and are they tasty? Pete :shock: :cheers:
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Welsh rarebit is (basically) cheese on toast, Pete. A Welsh rabbit? No idea? Dylan (from the Magic Roundabout)? Only 5 letters, though. :(
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Welsh rabbit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Welsh rabbit – or rarebit – is a traditional British snack dish, also known as toasted cheese. "Cheese on toast" is a variant of this dish.

It is made by grating cheese and blending it with beer or a little milk and butter, adding seasoning (particularly mustard), and spreading the mixture onto hot toast; the whole is then heated briskly from above (a procedure known as grilling in British English, broiling in North America). Classically the cheese used in Welsh rabbit is Lancashire, Cheddar or Double Gloucester, although Red Leicester is a popular substitute.

The Oxford English Dictionary states that it can also be "simply, slices of toasted cheese laid on toast".

The OED establishes that the original name of the food was "Welsh rabbit", and mentions "Welsh rarebit" only as an "etymologizing alteration of [the preceding]. There is no evidence of the independent use of rarebit". The source is not exactly known, but most likely was originally a slur. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was common to use the adjective "Welsh" to mean inferior quality, even implying counterfeiting. In a society where most people could snare a rabbit for the cooking pot, a Welshman was considered by some people so hopelessly feckless that cheese melted with beer would have to substitute. The first record of the word was in 1725. The alternative form "rarebit" only occurs from 1785. In the Victorian era and later, however, recipe books began to refer to this dish as "Welsh rarebit". This was a euphemism based on folk etymology (that is, this was a new word made up by people who didn't understand why the dish was called "rabbit"). Perhaps because the disparaging origin is recognised, the form "rarebit" is strongly advocated by some in Britain, although the original form remains common.

In parts of the United Kingdom today, there is a tendency for the traditional name to be replaced by the more prosaic "cheese on toast" (more typically applied to a slice of cheese, placed on toast, then grilled) or "toasted cheese".

The Welsh name for Welsh rabbit is caws-wedi-pobi, or the northern caws ar dôst.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, for sure Jaime is going to be upset if they go caws-wedi-pobi in his garden. :P :cheers: Pete