Mobile SIM Registration Name Must Match Mobile Banking Name

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Mobile SIM Registration Name Must Match Mobile Banking Name

Post by Ratsima »

This was in the Bangkok Post on May 21st, but I just ignored it until I watched the news this morning:
Approved by the NBTC previously, the [new] policy requires that the name used in registering a mobile phone SIM card is identical to the name of the owner of the bank account connected to the internet via a SIM card.
Apparently this went into effect this morning with many people suddenly finding that they are locked out of mobile banking because the name on their bank account doesn't match the name on the SIM registration. As a result, a delay in implementing the policy has been announced.

I'm sure others are in the same boat. My SIM is part of a family plan all under my wife's name which, amazingly enough, doesn't match my name.

So very typical of policies implemented without much thinking having gone on.
Big Boy

Re: Mobile SIM Registration Name Must Match Mobile Banking Name

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - I still haven't moved to mobile banking, but it makes a lot of sense to me for security reasons.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Banking is going to get so much harder (read: impossible) for foreigners here when they implement and enforce the National Digital ID (NDID), which is designed to be linked to bank accounts so they can track financial activity.

Edit: though I think this move is part of a wider crackdown on call-centers and robocalling, I get multiple scam calls per week from these pricks.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Some clarification here:

Mule accounts targeted, new mobile banking curbs
The telecom regulator says access to mobile banking accounts where the names of the account holders and phone subscribers are different will require case-by-case permission, as a clampdown begins on the use of mule accounts by fraudsters.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Does anybody know how to check what your SIM is registered as please?

My son uses a SIM bought for his business 12 years ago. He has no idea whether he registered it as himself or his business name. He hasn't been blocked yet, but it could be embarrassing if he was trying to pay a bill and was blocked. Better to get it sorted before it happens.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thinking about it, I'm sure we've had a few forum members registering in their wife's name because it was easier.

Points 51; Position 21
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:40 pm Does anybody know how to check what your SIM is registered as please?
The DTAC app shows the name of the person who registered the SIM. Not sure about other carriers.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:42 pm Thinking about it, I'm sure we've had a few forum members registering in their wife's name because it was easier.
It's my recollection that we got a family plan under my wife's name and that all the SIMs are under her name. But, according to the DTAC app, that was ten years ago.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:42 pm Thinking about it, I'm sure we've had a few forum members registering in their wife's name because it was easier.
Yes. I have, the daughter has. Dancing around now to amend SIM registration names with TRUE.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I thought there was an exercise a couple of years ago where you had to get the sim done in your name otherwise it would be deactivated?
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

VincentD wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:58 pm I thought there was an exercise a couple of years ago where you had to get the sim done in your name otherwise it would be deactivated?
All I recall on that is SIMS had to be registered with the Gov. at that time. All 4 we had/still have where then registered in the wife's name. That was sufficient.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I imagine the banks and mobile providers must be ripping their hair out now as the inquiries and complaints come rolling in.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Ah. Okay. The original Nokia brick (no such thing as a SIM card then) was registered to the wife. I later got a company phone, but eventually got one in my name for my own personal use so it was in my name.
Fair enough. Thanks Pete.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

VincentD wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:11 pm Ah. Okay. The original Nokia brick (no such thing as a SIM card then) was registered to the wife. I later got a company phone, but eventually got one in my name for my own personal use so it was in my name.
Fair enough. Thanks Pete.
Yes, I remember whatever AIS name was before (Thaksin's original company), they ran out of phone numbers! :shock: :laugh: I think that's when the SIM came into being here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ratsima wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:45 pm
It's my recollection that we got a family plan under my wife's name and that all the SIMs are under her name. But, according to the DTAC app, that was ten years ago.
:laugh: I have 2 AIS SIM cards. One is registered to AIS Customer, and the other is registered to one-to-call customer. Probably a good job I'm not into Mobile Banking.

[Edit] I still remember going in to AIS to register my SIMs.

Points 51; Position 21