Western food supplies in Cha-am

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not sure how long this shop has been there, but I only noticed it first time today (Cha Am Expat Foods), almost immediately past The Baguette bakery as you approach Cha Am from HH and before you reach the BYD and Mitsubishi showrooms. We’d already gone past so didn’t stop but will do so next time I’m passing but looking at their site, they look to have a good range of items available.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Py1gsQEWXh98FSNp6?g_st=ic
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Interesting, thank you - will have to check it out.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Western Food Supplies

Post by joelle »

Been opened about a couple of months, similar to AP Interfoods, good choice of various, mainly British, food.
They have very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price (but forgot how much).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Western Food Supplies in Cha-am

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 am Been opened about a couple of months, similar to AP Interfoods, good choice of various, mainly British, food.
They have very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price (but forgot how much).
Being new, everything looked clean and organised - I’ve used AP a number of times although it’s a little bit jumbled up. I’m sure that prices will be similar but this new shop is more convenient for me - I’ll post an update once I’ve visited. :cheers:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Western Food Supplies in Cha-am

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:38 am
joelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 am Been opened about a couple of months, similar to AP Interfoods, good choice of various, mainly British, food.
Being new, everything looked clean and organised - I’ve used AP a number of times although it’s a little bit jumbled up. I’m sure that prices will be similar but this new shop is more convenient for kme - I’ll post an update once I’ve visited. :cheers:
Yes same for us, my husband went there a month ago and thought it was quite good, neat and tidy, as for the prices same as AP or Nanny's
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

joelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 am They have very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price (but forgot how much).
I haven't seen pie like that for years, my father used to eat something he called ham and veal pie that looked like that.
I'm tempted!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Western food supplies in Cha-am

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:
joelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 am They have very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price (but forgot how much).
I haven't seen pie like that for years, my father used to eat something he called ham and veal pie that looked like that.
I'm tempted!
That’s almost correct - other than I think it was more commonly referred to as Veal and Ham, rather than the other way around!!

https://food52.com/recipes/28671-veal-and-ham-pie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KanDoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KanDoo »

Is the order of "veal and ham" or "ham and veal" important? Most curious . . .
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nany's also have whole Gala pies. The problem is unless you will eat a whole one fairly quickly, it won't stay in the best condition.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

KanDoo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 am Is the order of "veal and ham" or "ham and veal" important? Most curious . . .
In most senses, not in the least, but in the UK, certainly where I grew up, it was always referred to as a Veal and Ham pie, rather than Ham and Veal pie - if you do a Google search using “Ham and Veal”, all the results come back as “Veal and Ham”!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:11 am
KanDoo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 am Is the order of "veal and ham" or "ham and veal" important? Most curious . . .
In most senses, not in the least, but in the UK, certainly where I grew up, it was always referred to as a Veal and Ham pie, rather than Ham and Veal pie - if you do a Google search using “Ham and Veal”, all the results come back as “Veal and Ham”!!
It depends on which end of the pie you eat first!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I always thought Gala Pie was pork based. Never heard of one with veal before. I get mine from Hua Hin Ham & Bacon (special order) - delicious fresh, and definitely no veal.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:18 am I always thought Gala Pie was pork based. Never heard of one with veal before. I get mine from Hua Hin Ham & Bacon (special order) - delicious fresh, and definitely no veal.
As in many food recipes, there are countless versions of “the same thing”, some of it regional, but not all. Like you, my familiarity with Gala Pie ,is basically a pork pie with eggs in the middle, but here’s another version!!
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recip ... nge%20eggs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but we're talking "very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price." I would think if veal in Thailand, the price would become untouchable.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:58 am Yes, but we're talking "very nice oblong pork pies with eggs in it (I think it's called Gala pie) at reasonable price." I would think if veal in Thailand, the price would become untouchable.
This is the pork pie, 780 grams at 249 baht
Attachments
IMG_20240218_100836_960.jpg
IMG_20240218_100836_960.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 300 times