Having a sunday roast at Gordon Ramsay in Bangkok.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Having a sunday roast at Gordon Ramsay in Bangkok.

Post by caller »

Or rather, having a sunday roast at Gordon Ramsays Bread Street kitchen & bar at Emsphere, in Bangkok.

Well, this was a real treat. I don't often eat a Sunday Roast, but whilst I can, this will be my go to place for a roast dinner in future. Simply put, the best I have eaten since being in Thailand.

The restaurant has only been open about a month, although the mall, Emsphere, connected to Phrom Phong BTS via an approx. 200 metre walkway, opened on 1st December last year. It's also just a 10 minutes walk from Asok BTS/MRT along Sukhumvit from the other direction.

We reserved a table for two for 5pm on Sunday and arrived about 10 minutes early. The meat this Sunday was beef. We were told you have to check before each weekend what meat will be served, there isn't a choice of meats. Apparently, all info is on their website, including being able to make a reservation, I haven't checked.

There are are still some teething issues with the service, but when the food was as good as we experienced, they can be forgiven, and hopefully eradicated in due course.

The servings were huge, the beef served in perfectly carved, large slices - and very rare, to my taste, less so for Pam, but she was soon going Mmmmm! The yorkshire pud was spot on, the spuds, more of a saute, than roasted, but very tasty. The carrots had an incredible flavour, no idea of what, but just superb, then there was boiled cabbage, who would of thought that? But boiled with something to add to the flavour, I loved it, but Pam wasn't so keen. The last item, was some greenery similar to watercress, but with a red stem, Pam thought it a Thai vegetable. It didn't work for me, but she finished it off. We had a simple salad between us to start, along with five excellent complementary bread rolls, which I could have happily just ate and nothing else!

My only real gripe was that they only offered dijon mustard, which I had to ask for. Roast beef and no Engkish mustard? A serious faux pas in my opinion. I love dijon mustard, especially with a medium rare steak, but English belongs next to roast beef.

Highly recommended if you are in Bkk. If you want the roast only, it's 990 baht per head, which for me,represents really good value for the quality you get. He also has a pizza restaurant here, but still on a very soft opening, with limited opening hours. Hopefully, I will get to try that this week.

Anyway, some pics to finish off, including one of the full menu.

20240211_171137.jpg
(288.68 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
20240211_171133.jpg
(281.94 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
20240211_175043.jpg
(280.79 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
20240211_170432.jpg
(237.86 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
422657828_3614955895419888_5152955969145510468_n.jpg
(181.86 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Having a sunday roast at Gordon Ramsay in Bangkok.

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just a few points, caller, which I hope you will find useful... 8)

1. Who is Pam and why have we never heard of her before? Your sister I presume.

2. "The carrots had an incredible flavour, no idea of what..." - Just a thought, and I could well be wrong, but... carrot perhaps? :D

3. You had a STARTER before that lot??? :shock: :shock:

4. You didn't eat the fatty bits! :shock: They're the tastiest part of the beef!

5. I was about to harangue you for eating Sunday roast in a Gordon Ramsey establishment with no shirt on, but on closer inspection you appear to be wearing a flesh-coloured T-shirt.

Seriously, it really does look jolly tasty! :thumb: :cheers:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The carrots are probably this, minus the parsnips which may not exist here?

Honey Glazed Parsnips And Carrots

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com ... -parsnips/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree that it should be English mustard, with a dab of Horseradish.
Maybe the way I was brought up but Sunday Roast (lunch) doesn't seem right at 5pm. Usually around 2 or 3 after a visit to the pub!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm not normally impressed by these big name restaurants but that does look pretty tasty.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Whilst the food does look good (especially the big Yorkie) and despite the purists saying that’s how it should be eaten, I personally prefer my beef a little less pink and to eat the fat, I’d want it to have a bit more colour!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Must admit, looks excellent - certainly love beef and steak rare and would have to agree with DM on the fatty bits!

Can't say I'd be bothered with English Mustard with a roast (cold-cuts...yes), but Dijon or Horseradish would certainly be my choice.... Agree with PeteC RE: Glazed Carrots - certainly very popular with roasts in the UK and we'll always have them as part of the dish!

Not something/somewhere I'll be trying next time in Thailand - we'll just want to be sampling the Thai/Asian delicacies during a "holiday visit".

Has got me licking my lips though - looks like an "Any-day" Roast coming up!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say, apart from the veg actually being cooked for a change, I can't really see what the fuss is about. I also prefer my beef to be cooked a bit more also.

All of the green stuff with purple stalks would have been the ultimate turn off for me, but yes, I am a fussy eater, and do baulk if there's something strange on my plate.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:53 pm All of the green stuff with purple stalks would have been the ultimate turn off for me, but yes, I am a fussy eater, and do baulk if there's something strange on my plate.
I'm guessing you wouldn't go for the Welsh version with a spot of "Lava Bread" on the side then...? A modern take on "Surf & Turf" perhaps!! :D :wink:

Must admit though, the greenage with stalks does seem miss-placed from your salad bowl caller - are you sure it was meant to be there?! :laugh:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HaHa - okay, to answer some questions.

There was a mix of extremely lean and some less lean beef, I was genuinely taken aback at the portion size. I ate much of the fatty bits, but left what you see.

Pam is the other half and has been for just under 14 years. We met in England.

The carrots were definitely glazed, maybe honey? Neither of us were sure and we didnt ask. They were exceedingly good.

Pam ordered the salad to start, before we knew what the size of the roast would be.

I think there are two sittings in the restaurant, not sure of that. Roast is served from 12.00. We were told we could reserve a seat from 17.00. I asked if we needed to and was advised it's best to. This was the day before by the restaurants meet and greet lady, who spoke perfect English and was very nice. When we arrived, there was one other couple sat immediately behind me, but others soon started arriving and when we left, I would say it was about 75% full. Just one table with farangs, the rest presumably Thai? The beef wellington seemed popular.

I've never eaten in a big-name restaurant before either, but when I saw the menu, taking into account who the owner is, I was genuinely surprised by how much I fancied eating, and by the prices, which for anything other than a few items, I thought were quite reasonable, and that it would just be a fun, one off thing to do. But we both really enjoyed the experience, so I am sure, apart from going back for a roast, that we will visit again to try other dishes. When you consider what some hotels in Hua Hin charge and even some restaurants around town, although being more than I would normally pay, I think it's reasonable for an occassional treat.

The watercress, or whatever it was, wasn't my favourite, although I love watercress for it's peppery flavour in a salad, but in a roast, not really for me. I would have preferred some earthy, dark green leaves, like kale or greens. But if you look at the menu, the only veg constants seem to be spuds and carrots. The rest is 'seasonal vegetables'. So it will change.

For the record Pam could only eat half of her Yorkshire pud and left some of her meat. They came to me. In return, she got the green leaves, which she really liked.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought the “green stuff” looked like young spinach leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:05 pm I thought the “green stuff” looked like young spinach leaves?
I wished we'd asked - lol! Spinanch is my number one pet hate, as I find it just soggy and tasteless, but for all I know you maybe right!
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

While it looks OK, I have never and would never go to a five star restaurant and order a Sunday roast! Literally no pub or restaurant can dish up my ideal, which was always made at home by my nearest and dearest. I want to be inspired, not disappointed. I have never made it to my friend Fergus Henderson's London nose-to-tail joint St. John's, and probably now never will. But that's inspiration, truly offal!

I've much enjoyed the British food at several Gary Rhodes restaurants in the past, and even Jamie Oliver wasn't half bad, but a jazzy Sunday roast? Never. :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^I wouldn't mind a go at the Beef Wellington:
https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/ne ... t-emsphere
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Funny you should say that. I was just musing the list of latest posts, and thought just that. My mother and father both made a roast dinner that I loved. I have been very fortunate that my wife learnt from my father, and my DIL has learnt from my wife. Whilst I might venture out for an occasional Sunday roast, I've never found anything to compare with home cooked roast.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20