Post Cataract Operation Care

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Post Cataract Operation Care

Post by VincentD »

Pete, I delayed my initial surgery as the surgeon mentioned they would have been upgrading their equipment back then. They were getting a robotic type to replace their over 10 year old thingamajig and he said it would be much more accurate.
I did look it up, and there are several advantages for simple cataract replacement. Basically smaller and more accurate incision, less trauma and therefore less damage to the surrounding area during lens removal, thus faster healing. As the incision is smaller, there would also be less possibility of astigmatism had the incision been larger.
I'm also certain the older equipment would have had a bit of wear and tear over it's service life and the tolerances would be quite large..
วินเชนท์
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Does anyone know if doctor Pairat use robotics equipment?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

He certainly didn't back in the day. In all the years I've been here I've not heard anything but praise for Dr. Pairat. Myself and several people I know have had surgery there without incident.
The cataract op has been done by Pairat hundreds of times (I guess) and as far as I know, with 100% success. I don't see any reason for him to use robotic tools. Having said that, his surgical ops are now performed at Bangkok Hospital under an agreement. They were sending numbers of patients to him so it makes sense to have him under their umbrella.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:49 pm He certainly didn't back in the day. In all the years I've been here I've not heard anything but praise for Dr. Pairat. Myself and several people I know have had surgery there without incident.
The cataract op has been done by Pairat hundreds of times (I guess) and as far as I know, with 100% success. I don't see any reason for him to use robotic tools. Having said that, his surgical ops are now performed at Bangkok Hospital under an agreement. They were sending numbers of patients to him so it makes sense to have him under their umbrella.
:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had my 2nd one done two years ago and Dr. Pairat was certainly hands on then. I was at his surgery on Friday, sadly, I never thought to ask.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:I was quite impressed. especially when it was saying my name. I must say, I didn't consider calibration issues at the time Image It sort of took my mind off the op.
Was it multilingual?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it seemed to know American and English :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:47 pm That is amazing, everything I looked at yesterday was saying no alcohol. Of course, the important thing that I 'should' take notice of is the Hospital after care notice. That most definitely states 2 months.
BB, once you decided to have the cataract surgery, how long did it take for them to schedule the procedure?

I just ask because my wife has been seeing the eye doctor at HHH and he told her she would have to wait a year or more to have cataract surgery. She thought that was because that's how long the waiting list is but I think she may have misconstrued that - she also has glaucoma and I suspect that the wait is because the doctor wants to her glaucoma to be under control before she can have her cataracts done.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think my eyesight had deteriorated badly enough to need it a year ago, but the doc just kept saying not bad enough. It got to the stage where I was struggling to drive up Soi 88 or 94 at night because of the bright lights. I basically told the doc it was becoming urgent because I was really struggling. He wasn't convinced, but referred me to the surgeon. From seeing surgeon to having it done this time was about 10 weeks. For the first eye it was 3 weeks (during Covid when people were afraid to go near a hospital).

Basically, if I hadn't insisted, I would still be waiting now.

The worrying thing is, I imposed a self night driving ban on myself because I felt it was unsafe. How many others are being told it isn't bad enough yet, but haven't imposed such a ban on themselves?

The moment of realisation for me was driving home from Prachuap one night. As I crossed the flyover at Pranburi I was hit by the extreme roadwork lights - I couldn't see, and basically had to ask my son for assistance to get me through the roadworks. Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic. I got home and declared that was my night driving finished until after the op. If there had been traffic, I might not have made the op.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I had the same problem a good few years ago with Doc Pairat. He told me that my condition wasn't bad enough to warrant surgery. Having been told that I embarked on a trip back to Blighty, hired a car at M/Cr airport and drove to my home town of Bury by memory as I could barely see the road signs. I had also organised a reunion for ex colleagues and had to be right up in their faces to register them! How I ever returned the hire car undamaged still remains a mystery. On my return to HH I insisted that the op be done post haste.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The normal requirement is that the cataract has to be affected to a minimum of 50%.

How Dr. Pairat works, is that you undertake various tests on the affected eye at his surgery, then the actual op takes place at Bkk hospital about a week or so later. I think he has regular slots to use.

My 2nd one was cancelled twice by the hosspital, because of covid, then put on hold indefinitely until the situation improved, he was very busy doing cataract ops then. Before I went in for my op, I saw another patient who had just had his, waiting around, presumably to be picked up. As he now likes the eye to be covered for 24 hours. So basically the great unveiling takes place the day after at his surgery, then a 2nd appt takes place after another week, or maybe a month, can't remember now, followed by a final 6 month check up. I saw the same guy who had his done before me, at every subsequent appointment.
Talk is cheap