Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by STEVE G »

This might be a more affordable solution to a camper van:

The One and Only China Is Responsible for the Year's Cheapest Compact Truck Camper
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the- ... 28387.html
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:47 pm This might be a more affordable solution to a camper van:

The One and Only China Is Responsible for the Year's Cheapest Compact Truck Camper
Certainly an interesting option - incredible that a WC and shower can be squeezed in. Not much on availability, legality or cost in Europe....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 pm
STEVE G wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:47 pm This might be a more affordable solution to a camper van:

Certainly an interesting option - incredible that a WC and shower can be squeezed in. Not much on availability, legality or cost in Europe....

Probably not in Europe but I was thinking more about Thailand where many of us have pickups.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:47 am Probably not in Europe but I was thinking more about Thailand where many of us have pickups.
Without a doubt, but must admit I'm looking at all options here. Would be good to know the cost though - will have to look into it a bit more.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:10 am
STEVE G wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:47 am Probably not in Europe but I was thinking more about Thailand where many of us have pickups.
Without a doubt, but must admit I'm looking at all options here. Would be good to know the cost though - will have to look into it a bit more.

You’d definitely need deep pockets to buy a VW Campervan these days with prices +/- £80k!!
https://www.danburycampervans.co.uk/sto ... ilability/
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've seen a few of these about in northern Thailand, but they tend to cost more than the truck!

Have sent these guys an email for a quote though the article said about 200,000 THB ... no doubt shipping to Thailand and being taxed on import will double that but still cheaper than the Thai equivalent (600k - 700k).

https://www.ecocampor.com/truck-camper/fiberglass/

According to this, there are the usual stupid laws and restrictions on them here, which is typical of Thailand: https://www.findourway4x4.com/post/newl ... thourbuild
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In MV today they have the new Toyota Champ basic pickup on display and alongside it there is a picture of one configured as a camper:
Attachments
PSX_20240311_150056.jpg
PSX_20240311_150056.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 758 times
PSX_20240311_150037.jpg
PSX_20240311_150037.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 758 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've seen a few of these truck conversions around Thailand now ... and they cost more than the average house does here. :shock:

Play things for the rich kids. Additionally, with the farang witch-hunt going on at the moment, you'd probably get busted driving it.

I presume the 577K was just for the basic truck, you can at least triple that if you want a motorhome.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^Yes, campers are ridiculously expensive in Europe, new ones start at around 60,000 euros and many are way more than that.
The only difference is that there is a second hand market there but even 10 year old ones aren't cheap.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

30+ years ago Camper Vans were dirt cheap in the UK - I had two VW versions and didn’t pay a fortune for either, whereas nowadays you almost need a king’s ransom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

I can understand it in the UK and parts of Europe where rents are extortionate and a motorhome may be considered as alternative accommodation ... but in Thailand, these things are just designed and marketed to be toys for the hi-sos. Camping is supposed to be a cheap holiday, not any more it seems!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a FB Marketplace page of units for sale here. Of course the low prices are for those 20 + years old it seems.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/ba ... v-campers/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like someone is importing and selling those Chinese truck extensions for around 250k which is reasonable.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know you're not useless with your hands like me - you helped build a lot of your own house. Have you never considered picking up an old e.g. minibus and converting it yourself? I would think it could be a very self-satisfying project.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I actually have ... but have you seen the prices of old minivans in Thailand. :shock:

I'll stick to my tent!