Unsafe dog toys

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
PeteC

Unsafe dog toys

Post by PeteC »

I have graphic photos that I'm not going to post until after Christmas. So this post serves as a warning that you may not want to look at them. I'll issue a warning again when I post them.

They show what happens to a small dog's intestinal track when he gets hold of soft toy filled with polyester stuffing, and eats it. In this case our 2 year old Yorkie. Being a Yorkie, instinctively he turned into a badger gutting a hedgehog.

He's on the mend, but it's a slow process.

Buy nothing for your pet that is fiber filled if it's an aggressive chewer, as the fiber could very well shred him up inside like a meat grinder. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Unsafe dog toys

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:32 pm I have graphic photos that I'm not going to post until after Christmas. So this post serves as a warning that you may not want to look at them. I'll issue a warning again when I post them.

They show what happens to a small dog's intestinal track when he gets hold of soft toy filled with polyester stuffing, and eats it. In this case our 2 year old Yorkie. Being a Yorkie, instinctively he turned into a badger gutting a hedgehog.

He's on the mend, but it's a slow process.

Buy nothing for your pet that is fiber filled if it's an aggressive chewer, as the fiber could very well shred him up inside like a meat grinder. :(
Very sorry to read about your little dog, I hope he pulls through
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

How is your Furry Four-Legged Friend now Pete? Hoping he's fully recovered and getting ready for a healthy and fresh start to the New Year!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, thanks, he's fine now after a couple of trips to the vet, 2 barium stomach x-rays and medication to heal his scraped up intestinal track.

I've decided against posting the photos mentioned above as not appropriate. It's just piles of bloody poo with polyester fibers wrapped around everything. I think the description is sufficient for readers. :shock: We had an extensive dog toy inspection and disposal process here after the event. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly an eye opener for many I'm sure Pete - and no, the photo's are definitely not needed. Thankfully though, he's still around to frustrate, pander but most importantly provide unconditional love as these furry buggers do!!

Truly happy he's fit and well....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Glad to hear all is good!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Pleased to read he is doing well and hope he will be part of your family for many more years
🐶 :cheers: 🐶
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks everyone. He's still on a special diet for another week as there are a few bits of stuff left inside that need to come out naturally.

Below is his photo (pre-fiber ingestion), and as you can see he is not your typical silky long hair Yorkie. He is a bruiser and thinks he's a pitbull :shock:, and is on the top end of size/weight for a Yorkie. The Christmas tree is on a table as he tried to eat that last year so we took precautions this year! :roll:

A big difference between him, and the personality of our two late Golden retrievers chronicled further up this thread. So, the end of this chapter in the life of Milo. Wishing everyone a happy and safe New Year. :cheers:

phpDuXVtLPM.jpg
phpDuXVtLPM.jpg (248.53 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pete, having discussed this with you thoroughly offline, which resulted in the removal of so many things in our household into the bin, I think it might help others if you simply showed an example of the very common material that caused the damage in the first instance. It was certainly an eye opener to me, and is most certainly not restricted to dogs toys.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would, but we don't have any left, it all been disposed of. :laugh: I'll look around and see if anything left in some corner or closet that's stuffed with it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we have the same problem, else I'd have posted a picture.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here we go guys, Pete was talking about stuffing used for all types of things (found in the Trash Bin on my laptop). In this case it is the stuffing pulled out of an old duvet used by one of my dogs. I'd guess most households would have similar stuffing somewhere.

368047703_1298807390818256_4898609688240327990_n.jpg
(134.45 KiB) Downloaded 3569 times

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Reading more since the day it all happened, it seems that seldom is the material toxic (China source I'm not sure at all about that!), but it poses a severe blockage and severe bowel irritation risk. Mr. Milo suffered both.