2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:08 am Another issue is Leclerc. He never seems to be "hungry" to me, too laid back. Again, not a surprise to me if we see some changes with him in the next two seasons.
For me, Leclerc just hasn't fulfilled his potential - Ferrari have not done him justice in the past and he should have had far better results. But then again, he doesn't now seem to have the same fight in some respects. Changes are certainly happening at Ferrari, but whether recent decisions are correct or not, only time will tell.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote:Perhaps, but personally I think Aston Martin would disagree with regards to Alonso and he still has a hell of a lot to offer.

I doubt that anyone would dispute that Alonso is an incredible driver, but on his own addmission he made a serious blunder.
His hesitation and momentary indecision that led to the crash, is an indisputable reflection on his age. It definitely cannot be blamed on lack of experince, or an attitude such as that of the Dutchman!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-25/ ... /103626884

"Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race," the panel said, reported F1.com.

"He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner.

"Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed. Nonetheless, this manoeuvre created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars.

"However, did he choose to do something, with whatever intent, that was extraordinary, i.e. lifting, braking, downshifting and all the other elements of the manoeuvre over 100m earlier than previously, and much greater than was needed to simply slow earlier for the corner? Yes, by his own account of the incident he did.

"In the opinion of the stewards by doing these things, he drove in a manner that was at very least 'potentially dangerous' given the very high speed nature of that point of the track. :tsk: :duck:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:06 pm Fernando Alonso given penalty for incident that led to Russell crash

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68649182
"....The penalty dropped him from sixth place to eighth in the results. He was also given three penalty points on his licence.

But Alonso said he was "surprised" by the decision on social media afterwards: "A bit surprised by a penalty at the end of the race regarding how we should approach the corners or how we should drive the race cars. At no point do we want to do anything wrong at these speeds.

"I believe that without gravel on that corner, on any other corner in the world we will never be even investigated. In F1, with over 20 years of experience, with epic duels like Imola 2005/2006/Brazil 2023, changing racing lines, sacrificing entry speed to have good exits from corners is part of the art of motorsport.

"We never drive at 100% every race lap and every corner, we save fuel, tyres, brakes, so being responsible for not making every lap the same is a bit surprising.".....

I agree with Alonso 100%. Yet another example of F1 trying to control and dictate everything. Take a look at Russell's driving ability and experience as well. Could be a clue there.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 am
I doubt that anyone would dispute that Alonso is an incredible driver, but on his own addmission he made a serious blunder.
His hesitation and momentary indecision that led to the crash, is an indisputable reflection on his age. It definitely cannot be blamed on lack of experince, or an attitude such as that of the Dutchman!
PeteC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:53 pm I agree with Alonso 100%. Yet another example of F1 trying to control and dictate everything. Take a look at Russell's driving ability and experience as well. Could be a clue there.
I actually thought the penalty was a tad harsh, BUT - a "serious blunder" or "professional foul"? Alonso is one hell of a driver with immense experience. Russell is not quite at his level, but is still quite a driver - let's be fair, F1 sets quite a standard!

Russell was pushing very hard for the overtake, Alonso defended (professionally shall we say :naughty: ), Russell was caught in "Dirty Air" - which you could also put down to (lack of) experience....

I highly rate both drivers and discussions/arguments may well continue over this incident. I for one would be sceptical over the "indisputable reflection on his age...." comment, but then again I have to admit I am biased! :wink:

I hope to see Alonso racing for another season against LH, but then see them both gracefully retire from the track. LH will have his ridiculous fashion empire to look into :roll: , but I truly do hope Alonso will stick around to give up and coming drivers the benefit of his knowledge and experience.... It really would be a twist if that was with Mercedes!

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

but I truly do hope Alonso will stick around to give up and coming drivers the benefit of his knowledge and experience....

Yes, and that is what he and a couple of others should be doing! But it should not be in F1 races!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It can, and probably will be, argued until the next snafu pops up!
...................................................................................................................

He knew what he was doing’ – ex-F1 driver weighs in on Fernando Alonso’s Aus GP penalty

https://www.planetf1.com/news/he-knew-w ... ia-penalty

Penalised in Australia for “potentially dangerous” driving, former F1 driver Timo Glock believes Fernando Alonso knew what he was doing and used a “grey area to gain an advantage”.

Glock believes the double World Champion, a veteran of 380 Grands Prix, knew what he was “doing”.

“Alonso brakes very early and allows Russell to catch up,” the former F1 driver told Sky Deutschland. “Alonso’s idea was to catch Russell off guard, slow him down, and then accelerate early to open a gap.

“It was so extreme that Russell didn’t expect it at all. He got way too close and lost downforce.

“Alonso extends his elbows and uses the grey area to gain an advantage. He already knows what he’s doing with his experience.”
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"serious blunder" or "professional foul"
So if it not one of those two options, what is it then?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:09 pm
but I truly do hope Alonso will stick around to give up and coming drivers the benefit of his knowledge and experience....

Yes, and that is what he and a couple of others should be doing! But it should not be in F1 races!
I see your point Nereus and tend to agree - as I mentioned though, I'd just like to see them for another season on the track. And yes, it's a selfish point of view! :wink:
Nereus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 pm
"serious blunder" or "professional foul"
So if it not one of those two options, what is it then?
Well, I'd go for the comments below and say "professional foul"....
Nereus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:14 pm He knew what he was doing’ – ex-F1 driver weighs in on Fernando Alonso’s Aus GP penalty

https://www.planetf1.com/news/he-knew-w ... ia-penalty

Penalised in Australia for “potentially dangerous” driving, former F1 driver Timo Glock believes Fernando Alonso knew what he was doing and used a “grey area to gain an advantage”.

Glock believes the double World Champion, a veteran of 380 Grands Prix, knew what he was “doing”.

“Alonso brakes very early and allows Russell to catch up,” the former F1 driver told Sky Deutschland. “Alonso’s idea was to catch Russell off guard, slow him down, and then accelerate early to open a gap.

“It was so extreme that Russell didn’t expect it at all. He got way too close and lost downforce.

“Alonso extends his elbows and uses the grey area to gain an advantage. He already knows what he’s doing with his experience.”
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Fear, faith, friendship: Inside F1’s most precious relationship

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68597260. (Long article, but good)

Eyes blinded by a blend of floodlights and blurry bodywork. Eardrums drenched in the whirring neighs of 1,000 mechanical horses. Nostrils stained with the stench of burning brake ducts. Spine rattling to-and-fro against the rhythms of the road. Limbs and neck wrestling relentlessly with immense gravitational force.

Firing a Formula 1 car around a racetrack at top speed is one of the most intense sensory experiences a human can undergo.

During races, drivers can suffer motion sickness, light-headedness and vision glitches. They can lose up to 3kg in under two hours while at the wheel.

With the success and failure of their split-second decisions laid bare for the world to witness, a driver's existence can be isolating as well as physically draining.

But an F1 driver is never racing entirely alone.

They are accompanied, always, by the guidance of a softly-spoken ally at the other end of the team radio system, aiming to maximise the driver's result at race end.

That voice belongs to the race engineer................
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Vintage photos of British F1 drivers at link.

Japan’s Indy 200 - 1966: Remembering the first time IndyCars raced at Fuji Speedway

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/28/spor ... index.html
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A tad late on parade sorry - just a few hours away from Free Practice and the start of the F1 Weekend! Sadly Red BS and Crashappen will bounce back no doubt as the track really does suit them - and let's be fair, I can't see the petulant one suffering mechanical issues on the bounce. I remain hopeful for the Scuderia though who realistically are the only chance of an "upset" :( . Rain could have made things interesting as it has done in the past at Suzuka, but even this is not on the cards.....

Certainly closer to your time zone (HH/Thailand/Asia) than mine here in Wales! Don't forget your picks for those of you in the Prediction League: -

NOTE: TIIMES SHOWN ARE UK.
JAP-F1-SCH.png
JAP-F1-SCH.png (189.57 KiB) Viewed 197 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

It's only FP1 I know and you can't take much if anything from it, but....Damn, Red BS look very quick :roll: :(

Mercedes didn't look bad, but they were on "Softs"... Williams are once again in dire straits - Sargeant missed out on the Australian GP after his car was given to teammate Albon, this due to the fact that Albon damaged the chassis of his car prior to the race and Williams didn't have a spare. Sod's Law now, Sargeant in the driving seat during FP1 with a repaired chassis had a major prang and it looks like Williams are yet again in a spot of bother... :(

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

FFS - the briefest of kips and taking meds early just to see FP2..... And no bastard wants to come out due to a spot of drizzle! :cuss:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Surprise, surprise, Crashappen and Red BS close out the Front Row in Qualifying... :roll:

Lando Norris follows in 3rd for the "Best of the Rest" sharing the 2nd Row with Sainz. Leclerc however in the 2nd Ferrari is way back in a disappointing 8th. Somewhat mixed fortunes for Mercedes - despite placing 7th, it's Hamilton's best start of the season so far and his car was looking as good as it has been for some time (still, a significant +/- 0.6 sec off Pole though). Teammate Russell will certainly be less pleased with P9. Another massive display from Alonso giving him P5 on the Grid - I would dearly love to see him at Mercedes next season....
F1-JAP-QUAL-1.png
F1-JAP-QUAL-1.png (87.95 KiB) Viewed 151 times
F1-JAP-QUAL-2.png
F1-JAP-QUAL-2.png (73.65 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Main Race 06:00 (UK Time) Sunday 07.04. :thumb:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Before suffering the wrath of "Nereus" for my bias for Mercedes and against Red BS... :wink:

"Meanwhile, Mercedes were on the receiving end of a €5,000 fine – but not a grid drop – after the stewards found that they’d unsafely released Russell into the path of McLaren’s Oscar Piastri in Q1."

A non-event quite frankly and talk about a Grid Penalty by some was ludicrous...How do they come up with figures for these fines? What in God's name is Euro 5K to the Mercedes F1 Team?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 037NASWCIK