Songkran to become 1 month festival

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Songkran to become 1 month festival

Post by Big Boy »

I can see a one month hibernation coming each year. I can handle 1 or 2 days, but this will be way OTT for me.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2696776
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: Songkran to become 1 month festival - WTF?

Post by Jack_Batty »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:50 am I can see a one month hibernation coming each year. I can handle 1 or 2 days, but this will be way OTT for me.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2696776
Good time to plan my annual month return to the US. I don’t do that now, but I will make that it a tradition if there is a month-long Songkran.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

She's mad. Or is it daddy's idea? Tourist aren't going to come here to be soaked every day of their holiday. Working Thais aren't going to go to work soaking wet. As an idea it's up there with the kra land bridge. Imo.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's typical Thailand - this shop is a success, so lets have a Soi full of shops selling exactly the same thing.

Songkran Day (or couple of days) is a success, lets make a whole month of Songkran Days. :tosser:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Definitely Thailand gone mad - and of the 5.1 Billion allocated budget, they don’t mention how much of it is reserved for brown envelopes!!

I normally go shopping the day before Songkran starts and keep a low profile for 2-3 days, but a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It could produce some mean riots! :shock: Even Thais will become quickly tired of being ambushed and soaked day in and day out.

The massive influx of foreigners they predict won't materialize at that time of year. Kids are in school and who in the west takes yearly holidays in April? I've never read that the Chinese crowd is keen on the event either.

I think it will go for a week and then trickle down the drain. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

10 days in Pattaya was a nightmare and people were fed up with it.
This will surely fail.
buksida

Re: Songkran to become 1 month festival

Post by buksida »

Lots of new government ministers ... lots of new stupid ideas.

Is this not the same pack that wanted to ban wearing certain clothing, ban driving, ban alcohol, ban water guns, close bars and restaurants, and ban powder, ice, and water during Songkran? What fun for a month ... come to Tingtongland!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder if this will mean a month long bank holiday, or the 7 deadly days will become the 30 deadly days?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Duty-free haven last week, one month water pistol fight today, what will it be next week? You have to worry for a country where the top politicians come up with such hair-brain schemes!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been watching the story on Thai News. From what I can make out is the extension will be in 5 areas, including the usual suspects of Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Rai. We should be fine.

The other thing they don't seem to be considering is the prediction of a massive drought in 2024.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:08 pm It could produce some mean riots! :shock: Even Thais will become quickly tired of being ambushed and soaked day in and day out.

The massive influx of foreigners they predict won't materialize at that time of year. Kids are in school and who in the west takes yearly holidays in April? I've never read that the Chinese crowd is keen on the event either.

I think it will go for a week and then trickle down the drain. :cheers:
I quote myself as the thought occurred there are more foreign expats now living/working in this country than there ever has been in history, except when the US military was here in the 60-70's.

Those people have the entire span of the Songkran break off just like Thais do. If they are young and game, the insanity may indeed go on longer than before?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Phew!!!

Another gem from the land of the U-turn

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-songkran

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Songkran 2024 to become 1 month festival

Post by buksida »

AI, more cameras mulled to boost revellers' safety
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Tuesday unveiled a plan to deploy more modern technology to ensure security measures are ramped up for this year's extended Songkran Festival next month.

Pol Gen Adit Ngamjitsuksri, an adviser to Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt, said the BMA has ordered its Traffic and Transportation Department to work on installing more CCTVs along Khao San Road, one of the top destinations for tourists visiting the capital.

The road caters to large gatherings of mostly foreign visitors, especially during festivals. Last year, at least 100,000 visitors joined the Songkran celebrations in that area.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ers-safety

Headline should read: more cameras mulled to boost BIB back pocket fund
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Im a bit confused about the extended songkran. As people still have to work, I am assuming the vast majority of Thai's will carry on as normal. A few days off, local noodle shops close, travel home and back again and then back to work. Local noodle shops re-open. So it will, for the majority, be all done and dusted much as before, is that right? We will still have the usual days to avoid travelling and all the rest of it. Or will there be a big difference compared to previous years?
Talk is cheap