Making a good stew (Beef or other)

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Re: Making a good stew (Beef or other)

Post by KhunLA »

HarryVardon wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 am I miss the only "real" stew on the list - Lancashire Hot Pot. But seriously that is a very bad list, it doesn't even contain Goulash which is one of the best stews in the world.
TasteAtlas ... before lists being posted on forums, I've never heard of them, so do wonder who is doing the voting ...

"TasteAtlas food rankings are based on the ratings of the TasteAtlas audience, with a series of mechanisms that recognize real users and that ignore bot, nationalist or local patriotic ratings, and give additional value to the ratings of users that the system recognizes as knowledgeable. For the “Top 100 Stews in the World” list until April 15, 2024, 24,784 ratings were recorded, of which 15,356 were recognized by the system as legitimate. TasteAtlas Rankings should not be seen as the final global conclusion about food. Their purpose is to promote excellent local foods, instill pride in traditional dishes, and arouse curiosity about dishes you haven’t tried."
Last edited by KhunLA on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

How are curries, Dals, Kormas, Tikkas, Hot Pots et al classed as Stews - they aren't, plain and simple! The name gives it away does it not?

"Braised" meat is way closer to a stew than the above, but is still not a stew..... I'll give you "Lancashire Hot Pot", but "Sichuan Hot Pot"??!! Good God, it's nowhere near.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 pm How are curries, Dals, Kormas, Tikkas, Hot Pots et al classed as Stews - they aren't, plain and simple! The name gives it away does it not?

"Braised" meat is way closer to a stew than the above, but is still not a stew..... I'll give you "Lancashire Hot Pot", but "Sichuan Hot Pot"??!! Good God, it's nowhere near.
I don't cook. Anything. Ever.

However, I did still question the list. It's just I was more eager to do the tikka masala post. :D
Oxford dictionary. Stew: a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am
Oxford dictionary. Stew: a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
Yep, was waiting for that one.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I don't suppose the Scottish delicacy that is STOVIES would be classified as a stew but then again neither is a curry.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

A curry is most definitely a stew. The fact that Westerners use the word and Asians don't is irrelevant. People decide which meat and other ingredients they want to use, put them in a pot and cook it slowly, that's what stew means. Local 'definitions' may deviate (Lancastrians note), just as a cooked early evening meal in the UK is dinner for some but tea for others, and arguments rage, but a stew is a stew whatever you call it! :duck:

PS - I would say Sichuan hot pot (huoguo to me, steamboat or hot pot to others) is not a stew as the cooking time is short and is not designed to break down the fibres of large or tough chunks of meat.