Football (not Premier League)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Football (not Premier League)

Post by Lost »

Some controversy with this in the prem thread, so stick other stuff here no?

Saudi league are currently building teams that, though aged a little, would make a good go at lower prem teams. Already, they've teams that are far superior to any MLS team. Not governed by fifa fair play, they have endless money. By the time their Champion's League wish is fulfilled, they'll be able to curtail their spending to abide by the rules.

Saudi league is here to stay. And possibly take over. China tried it and failed. This is different.

This isn't why I started this thread though... :laugh:

Werder Bremen 0 - 1 Bayern Munich

In the 4th minute of his Bayern debut, Harry provides a world class assist from the half way line (yes, I'll be following, and supporting, Bayern this season).

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Football (not Premier League)

Post by Lost »

And a goal from Harry. 💪
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thoughts after my first ever viewing of a full bundesliga match.

Now I see why the German's protest our prices during europa/champions league games. Electric atmosphere filled with fans. Real fans. Two nil down and the home stadium still booming. £10-20 a ticket will do that.

On the flipside our stadiums are half-filled with tourists having an experience. The 'through and through' priced out of the weekly attendance.

Though Tottenham stadium is allowing a drum to be brought in to try and rally the troops starting tomorrow. They also allowed us, after much deliberation, to do the flags last season. :? :roll:

This all leads to a "cooome on you spuuursss" whence a corner arises.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

:lach: :lach:

I wondered how long it would take you blue :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

:laugh: :thumb:

istockphoto-1035049434-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-1035049434-612x612.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Salah could be off to Saudi too. An upgrade from £350k a week to £350k a day. For every footballer that moves to Saudi, one gay Tinkerbell dies. Very sad. Heartless.

ohno.png
ohno.png (173.11 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:04 pm For every footballer that moves to Saudi, one gay Tinkerbell dies. Very sad. Heartless.
:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:

Now that is a tad harsh all around...... It has to be hard living on that kind of salary! Give the guy a rest.... :roll:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Three goals and an assist for Harry. Only the third bayern player to score three in his first 2 games. First was 1960s second in the 90s. If he continues as he is, and gets some fortune in the champs league, will finally be a genuine ballon d'or contender. Happy for him, deserves it.

Disclaimer: If spurs were playing rubbish right now and losing, I wouldn't be happy for him. I'd be actively wishing for Bayern to be crap.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

With reference to the Saudi Pro League and its absolutely disgusting figures to attract players, I still feel that no matter who plays and how the teams do, what is upper most is the shirt sales. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would someone rather wear a shirt of a team from the Premier League or any of the top European teams? What impact does a shirt in the sport shop have from Al-Ittihad or Al-Hilal next to a Man U, Barcelona or Bayern one have? Or is it purely the fact the name on the back being of one of the hugely over paid players is the attraction? :| Will these Saudi teams attract millions of Asian fans so there would be Asian tours for these teams, I think not. And finally, total kudos to Mo Salah at Liverpool, (if it was a personal decision or course) deciding to stay on in the Prem. Maybe he didn't want to spend the last days of his career in a dust pit.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Concerning Mo Salah, I don't know if the Egyptians get along that well with the Saudies which could have been a big consideration. Along with taking his family there after life in the UK. A big step down for his daughter born in the UK I think, and wife most certainly both being women in that backward Saudi society, and him. Yes, I applaud his refusal and I think a lot of the decision may have come from him but I have no proof. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had a feeling the bid to buy Salah was little more than a publicity stunt. Why else leave it so late? Liverpool had no chance of finding a replacement in the time permitted, and ayone with half a brain would have known that. Of course, if they come back with a higher offer, then I am wrong.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bachelors could have an acceptable way of life in Saudi but not an ideal place for families, even though these guys will be treated at different standards to the masses - once you get outside your pampered world, life is very different, at least it was when I worked there in 2004-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Have to disagree a little Dannie Boy, life here is slightly more normal than it was about 20 years ago, but that is getting off subject. Maybe another post will be needed for life in the middle east.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Green Nomad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 pm Have to disagree a little Dannie Boy, life here is slightly more normal than it was about 20 years ago, but that is getting off subject. Maybe another post will be needed for life in the middle east.
Well I did say it was nearly 20 years ago, so glad to hear things are improving to help our pampered footballers adjust to life in Saudi - I don’t think the 45-50°c summer heat has changed much though :banghead: :duck:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Lost »

I'm guessing down also but you never know.

Saw this on twits. Can we please start giving microphones to English fans at the end of games. Can you imagine? 🤣🤣🤣