What's happened to the milk supply?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: What's happened to the milk supply?

Post by Big Boy »

I still do. I don't believe this shortage is not being orchestrated without an ultimate goal.

Of course, as hhinner states, the price is controlled, so it could take a while before there's a government in place to approve a rise.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:41 pm I still do. I don't believe this shortage is not being orchestrated without an ultimate goal.

Of course, as hhinner states, the price is controlled, so it could take a while before there's a government in place to approve a rise.
You're probably right.
But there could have been many reasons for the shelves being empty and it was very short lived.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is it over? AFAIK, with the exception of Makro, the problem still exists. To me, the biggest worry is it hasn't happened before.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m surprised that it was so long ago, but back in 2014 there was a shortage of milk, but I don’t think we knew the exact reason why?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25682&hilit=Milk
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:01 pm I’m surprised that it was so long ago, but back in 2014 there was a shortage of milk, but I don’t think we knew the exact reason why?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25682&hilit=Milk
I drink and buy a LOT of milk, shortages such as the one we are experiencing now are not new. They’ve been occurring once or twice a year for at least several years now. Frankly, I’m a bit surprised that some think this is a new situation in Thailand….
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Been here over 20 years and have had kids growing up drinking milk every day. I, myself drinks a lot of milk. In the first few years it was very difficult to buy any milk, except the small bottles. You had to travel outside HH to find any.
Also I believe a lot of the milk earlier was reconstituted from imported powder. I'm guessing that as the local dairies have expanded, most of the milk now is a product of raw milk. Hence now when there's a problem at the dairies, there's an almost immediate shortage.
I have to say that I haven't seen a shortage like this for some years. Certainly not on an annual basis.

What I have noticed over the last few days is the appearance of some lesser known brands. There's a milk that comes with a 'black top' which is full fat milk and ok.
Also the appearance of 'Thai - Denmark' milk, also full fat. I can't tell, by taste, any discernable difference in any of them.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The last two types you mentioned HHTel have been around for some time - I actually prefer the black top full cream milk when it’s available.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

The milk shortage is back with a vengeance this week. Doesnt seem to matter what colour top or where you shop - there isn't any.....

Is this just a HH thing ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We just stopped at a 7-11 on the way back from Khao Tao. and Mrs BB went in and came out with 2 x 2 litres of Blue Top Meiji (spelling?) milk. Didn't even think about the shortage.

I still think it's probably luck of the draw at the moment. I've been lucky, so far.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Pretty sparse milk shelf in Makro yesterday. First time I've ever seen it like that.

There was also some new (to me) brand taking up a lot of the spare shelf space.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Plenty in Lotus's Cha Am
Attachments
received_125890940547325.jpeg
(211.18 KiB) Downloaded 1740 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh wow!! I spelt it right :dance:

There is clearly a shortage, but if you're lucky, you won't notice. I think that must be what happened to me in 2014 as DB reported. I was always in the right place at the right time, so didn't notice.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:32 pm Pretty sparse milk shelf in Makro yesterday. First time I've ever seen it like that.

I was in Makro early evening yesterday and there was hardly any space on the milk shelves. Unfortunately they were all the very large size which won't fit in my fridge!
There were some 'black top' milk which I took.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:10 pm Unfortunately they were all the very large size which won't fit in my fridge!
Decant it into smaller bottles....................
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

hhinner wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:32 pm Pretty sparse milk shelf in Makro yesterday. First time I've ever seen it like that.

I think that because of the shortage, there may be a bit of panic buying/hoarding going on. In BlúPort they have a sign restricting the number of containers (at least of some sizes) that you can buy.