What's happened to the milk supply?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: What's happened to the milk supply?

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

hhinner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:47 pm ^^ So they do all the cows (or most of them) at the same time?
I was wondering about that, too. I'm just guessing, but I suppose that if you've got a herd of a few thousand dairy cattle, it would be very cumbersome and difficult to manage it they're all in their dry period at different times and you have to monitor the timing for each one individually. So I imagine that it would be much easier to have them (or at least large groups of them) with their dry periods synchronized.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Lots of calves at the same time then.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 pm
hhinner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:47 pm ^^ So they do all the cows (or most of them) at the same time?
I was wondering about that, too. I'm just guessing, but I suppose that if you've got a herd of a few thousand dairy cattle, it would be very cumbersome and difficult to manage it they're all in their dry period at different times and you have to monitor the timing for each one individually. So I imagine that it would be much easier to have them (or at least large groups of them) with their dry periods synchronized.
As I grew up on a dairy farm, the method is to "wean" the cows off over a week or so by first reducing milking to once a day, then after a couple of days, miss one day completely. Nature will stop them lactating after about one week, just as with removing a calf.

With big herds records are kept using ear tag numbers, and these days electronic ear tags are used that record the cows number and the scanner can be programmed to issue a notice. Cows also have to produce a calf before they start to lactate, so records of mating can also be recorded as to when to dry them off.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So, @Nereus , does this explanation for the milk shortage being caused by much of the dairy herd being in its dry period?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:58 am So, @Nereus , does this explanation for the milk shortage being caused by much of the dairy herd being in its dry period?
It may be more to do with how the farmers manage their herds in relation to available seasonal feed.
I also do not know anymore the cost of supplementary grain based feed. If cows are not getting enough feed, then by nature they will reduce lactating.

I am out of touch now with costs of production, so it could also be a trend towards farmers not getting a return on investment. The bulk of milk production in Thailand is by a few large companies, so if they are not making a profit, they may be reducing their herds, or turning to beef production. In 30 odd years in Thailand I have not heard of this "dry period" previously.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from Lotus's. They had about 20 x 2 litre bottles for sale - no rationing. Just a notice apologising for the shortage, and warning they will be out of stock soon.

I purchased 2, which will keep us going for a few days, but we'll certainly need more before the sell by date of 13 Aug.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

I just returned from the Makro in Cha-Am and it had a pretty good stock of milk – particularly Meiji 0%, which we like to use.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

After giving birth, a cow will produce milk for about 10 months before needing about 60 days of “dry period”. Historically, most cows would have calved in early spring in western countries to coincide with food supplies, although this is less of an issue in warmer countries like Thailand.

These days, farming is a sophisticated process so would expect it to be very regulated and therefore surprising that there are significant milk shortages?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

These reasons all sound fair and valid until you realise this is the first year there has been a shortage. IMHO the shortage is being manipulated and will lead to a significant price hike.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb: :thumb:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When I first moved here, large bottles of full fat were non existent. The only place to get them was at Big C in Petchaburi.
Tesco, I believe were the first to get it in HH. Since then I can't recall there ever being a shortage as there is now.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Been to Makro HH earlier, at 13.00.
They are fully stocked up at same usual price.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My milk hunt was a little easier yesterday. 1st 3 shops - zero then I got the last 2 in Family Mart Khao Takieb.

Incidentally, when I do find it, there's no increase in price.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

joelle wrote:Been to Makro HH earlier, at 13.00.
Milk price is controlled.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

hhinner wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:38 pm
joelle wrote:Been to Makro HH earlier, at 13.00.
Milk price is controlled.
I mentioned the price because some members thought there might be a hike