Spelling

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Spelling

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think we've already established that I'm a bit of a language snob, but what is it with 'lose' and 'loose'? I must be turning into a grumpy old git, because that error, which I see so often everywhere, genuinely makes me want to bang my head on the desk. :banghead:
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: spelling

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:12 am I think we've already established that I'm a bit of a language snob, but what is it with 'lose' and 'loose'? I must be turning into a grumpy old git, because that error, which I see so often everywhere, genuinely makes me want to bang my head on the desk. :banghead:
Here, here :laugh: :laugh: ,there so annoying with they're grammatical errors. :naughty:
p1.jpg
p1.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 802 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^I refuse to listen to comments from some moron who can't even spell his own name... :neener: :butt:
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

You're barbed comments made me loose my mind, their so cruel :duck: In fact your a master debater. :bow:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:15 am Here, here :laugh: :laugh: ,there so annoying with they're grammatical errors. :naughty:
sateeb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:46 am You're barbed comments made me loose my mind, their so cruel :duck: In fact your a master debater. :bow:
Oh, FFS... :lach:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Spelling

Post by HHTel »

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:40 am [youtube]http://www.google.com/search?tbm=vid&sx ... xpV8D8K9JI[/youtube]
This is from Anthony Burgess:

"I once heard an army motor mechanic complain of his recalcitrant engine by crying ‘Fuck it, the fucking fucker’s fucking fucked. There you have the word used as five distinct parts of speech"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

And bizarrely, some software somewhere censored the original of the word but not the derivatives!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

:mrgreen:
Attachments
In-US.jpg
In-US.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 743 times
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not new but still find it fascinating.
Take a look at this paragraph. Can you read what it says? All the letters have been jumbled (mixed). Only the first and last letter of ecah word is in the right place:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ This probably works for other languages using a Roman-ish alphabet. It may help us read English very quickly. I don't think it would work for languages like Thai though. Certainly doesn't work with Thai for me which I still read to slowly for subtitles on movies.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:00 pm ^^ This probably works for other languages using a Roman-ish alphabet. It may help us read English very quickly. I don't think it would work for languages like Thai though. Certainly doesn't work with Thai for me which I still read to slowly for subtitles on movies. Image
Yes, that's the trick of speed reading novels, which I could do when younger. I'd place a finger in the middle of the page, moving it down slowly and casting eyes quickly left and right. You do miss some depth of good writing, and I don't think it's recommended for text books and technical manuals. :)
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:12 am I think we've already established that I'm a bit of a language snob, but what is it with 'lose' and 'loose'? I must be turning into a grumpy old git, because that error, which I see so often everywhere, genuinely makes me want to bang my head on the desk. :banghead:
This one from a friend of a FB friend took all of my willpower not to reply with a barbed comment. :banghead: :banghead: :cuss:

"Listen know matter who why when their is know point in arguing"

― George Carlin