Fish & Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Fish & Chips

Post by caller »

If there is a specific thread about fish and chips, it's very old, so time to start again.

I found references to fish & chips under mexican food, breakfasts and just about everywhere else, but they are all over the shop, literally!

Yesterday, at his suggestion, a friend and I visited Viking Fish & chips, right next to and immediately before cicada market, if heading from Hua Hin. I have read a few reviews of this place from elsewhere, as had my friend, always positive, but the photos used with such reviews, always appeared to show that the batter was overcooked, if not burnt. And this was mentioned by others in response to said reviews, even possibly by me!

Parking is on the street, so maybe best to avoid going too late on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday evenings, if driving, to avoid the market crowds. I am sure this is a big source of customers for them in any case. We arrived at approx. 16.30 and the area was already getting busy, but the restaurant was still basically empty. We had to park on the other side of the road, a bit further north and then cross the 4 lanes at a U turn.

First impressions were very positive, indoor and outdoor seating, good aircon inside, a very modern wooden theme throughout and very friendly and welcoming staff, even before we got to the front door! The menu card was physically large, so easy to read and the options are what it say's on the tin, a choice of Cod, Haddock and Salmon, served with chips and mushy peas and a choice of dips, all mayonaise based, unelss you like Thai fish sauce. Being ignorant on such matters, we had to ask what one of the dips was! There was a salad alternative to chips and a selection of extras. In addition, there was an insert of a few Nordic / Scandi alternatives.

When the food arrived, I have to confess to being a bit concerned about the beer batter, as it looked as the photos had shown. However, we were both wrong. It was great, perfectly cooked, as was the fish inside, I had cod and my friend had haddock. Big portions of fish, very tasty and really, very, very good. You can probably tell I was impressed!

And then there was the mushy peas, served in a small bowl. At first, I thought they were normal peas, but I was wrong again. We didn't ask, but rather assumed they were home made. It's quite usual to be served mushy peas from a tin, and I think that's perfectiy okay, in view of the fact of where we are, but these were a real treat.

The chips / fries were the usual frozen variety, which probably applies to 95% of what is served elsewhere, I know El Murphy serves real chips, I think at least on a Friday, and it would be good if others did, but I appreciate that is difficult to make economical over here. I once discussed this with the English owner of a fish and chip shop in Bkk, which also served frozen fries, and he said the problem for him, was to do with supplies.

Anyway, it was a great meal, and then we sat for another hour, chatting and putting the World and Thailand to rights, without any further orders, with no hassle or pressure from the staff. And then I managed to walk out with the very nice cloth serviette which I had been fiddling with whilst chatting. I only realised when I got to the car! It was returned - lol!

This isn't the cheapest fish and chips you will find in town, but it comes highly recommended.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Fish & Chips

Post by Dannie Boy »

It sounds very similar to what would be served in the UK, so that’s a big positive. Can you give an indication of prices for the fish and chips?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was with you all of the way caller until you mentioned frozen chips - a complete turn off for me, I'm afraid.

I honestly don't understand how any chef worth his salary can be content serving frozen chips. Potatoes aren't expensive in Thailand, and don't take much time/skill to prepare.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Being a lover of fish and chips, I'll have to try that. Until now my choice has been the Zebwer on Soi 112. 2 x large cod fillets in batter and served with real chips. Again, not cheap (around 400 baht) but excellent imo.
There is an option of haddock but I'm a cod guy.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have been trying to edit my post to add photos, but it just throws me back to the main menu. So will add them here.

Cod

Haddock

Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For me, the only alternative to a newspaper is a plate! ..... lol
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:00 pm Can you give an indication of prices for the fish and chips?
950 baht for 2x F&C, 1 beer, 1 diet coke, 1 water.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:17 pm Being a lover of fish and chips, I'll have to try that. Until now my choice has been the Zebwer on Soi 112. 2 x large cod fillets in batter and served with real chips. Again, not cheap (around 400 baht) but excellent imo.
I'm a regular at Zebwer and often eat Haddock and chips, the cod is served with two pieces of fish and that is too much for me. And sometimes, I find the cooking a little uneven, the haddock is always spot on. Big portions as well. Never had real chips though. Here's that day's Haddock at Zebwer:

Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The photos do justice to the price - ok maybe a bit on the pricy side for Thailand but not extortionate. Actually, the chips look pretty good and going by the irregular shape/size, I’d never had guessed they were frozen - maybe BB should ditch his prejudice and give them a try. The “mushy peas” do look somewhat conventional that have been flattened a bit with a fork?

I’m in the UK at the moment so have ready access to “the real thing”, but will give this place a try when I’m back. :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I may be wrong about the chips. My focus is on the fish. Being in a house full of kids I view frozen 'french fries' as thin sticks as is served in McDonalds.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:17 pm I was with you all of the way caller until you mentioned frozen chips - a complete turn off for me, I'm afraid
Have the salad then! :D

I worry more about the fish. The owner of Busters in Bkk, from Surbiton originally, and who has lived and run businesses in Hua Hin, told me he couldn't ensure supplies of the right type of potato for lage scale deep frying.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Salad is too healthy for this fat git :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I haven't tried it yet, which is a bit embarrassing as it's only 600 yards from my front door, but the Fish and 'real' Chips at Cocktails & Dreams on Soi 94 has been getting a lot of very good publicity recently, and it's only about half the price of Viking.

Has anybody tried it? Do you agree/disagree?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:27 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:17 pm Being a lover of fish and chips, I'll have to try that. Until now my choice has been the Zebwer on Soi 112. 2 x large cod fillets in batter and served with real chips. Again, not cheap (around 400 baht) but excellent imo.
I'm a regular at Zebwer and often eat Haddock and chips, the cod is served with two pieces of fish and that is too much for me. And sometimes, I find the cooking a little uneven, the haddock is always spot on. Big portions as well. Never had real chips though. Here's that day's Haddock at Zebwer:

The fish looks good, although the chip’s definitely look like I was expecting for frozen ones, nothing like those in the other photo - as for the mushy peas - well words can not describe them, but I wouldn’t go as far as mushy, more like sloppy!! :laugh:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:34 pm the chips look pretty good and going by the irregular shape/size, I’d never had guessed they were frozen - maybe BB should ditch his prejudice and give them a try.
Those chips disgust me. If I saw that pictured on a menu anywhere, I would start looking for any dish without chips. As with most food related things, this is purely a 'Me' thing. Probably the way I was dragged up, where proper chips were always chunky.

As an aside, when my DIL had her Fish & Chip business, she offered both real and frozen chips. Invariably, Thais would opt for frozen 90% of the time, and Farangs showed the same bias towards the real thing.

[Edit] caller sneaked his photos in without me seeing them, so I'm not sure which chips DB is referring to. I was referring to the Zabwer chips above.

Looking at callers chips, yes, I think I recognise them as frozen - Ga Hanoi serves a similar chip. As frozen chips go, these are probably the most acceptable to me personally, but I still avoid them if I know.

Points 48; Position 20