Ice cream in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Re: Ice cream in Hua Hin

Post by wenshidi »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:15 pm Do you know the story behind the new green carts? I have spotted a couple near me too. What brands do they carry?
I think the brand is Paithong. Is that rights?
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Last night, while randomly rummaging through the chest freezer in THE 7-11 near the Baguette Shop on Petchakasem Road, I was delighted to uncover a secret stash of hard-to-find Lotte ice creams. Hiding away at the back were a handful of Lotte Greek Yogurt Blueberry Ripples. At 29 baht each, they are slightly more expensive than locally made lollipops but they are well worth the price.

Milk Ice Cream (esp for Dannie Boy) sheathed in a hard yogurt shell with deep blueberry marbling. For me the shell was better than any Magnum, even though those are twice the price. The coating on this popsicle tastes just like the white chocolate they used to use for Milky Bars, which is fantastic.

I spotted a similar blueberry yoghurt ice cream in my local 7-11 on the way home, but this time by the brand, Pilot, which I have to admit I know nothing about. I wanted to do a taste comparison last night, but that would have been my third of the evening and I did not want to channelling the spirit of Violet Elizabeth later in the evening.

In the meantime I will be on the look out for more Lotte examples. The very first place I lived in Asia was Seoul, so I have a real soft spot for Lotte. Although the company is the fifth largest Chaebol, I am surprised how many people have never heard of them. I grew up eating Lotteria fast food (I do not remember all the western brands being available) and was thoroughly converted by the quality of their shrimp burgers and teriyaki burgers.

It seems that all Lotte ice creams are the same price in Thailand. This is a bit steep for things like the Soda Bar or the Melon Bar, but is probably ok for relative rarities such as the Macaron Ice Bar and the Tea Tris.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Out of a 7-11 freezer, this is most definitely my favourite (in all flavours).

ic.jpg
ic.jpg (126.07 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Have you tried the salted caramel or the new Crown? How is the cone? Not cardboard, I hope.

Still 36 baht is a bit steep for an ice cream.

Tonight, I had a Magnolia Sawasdee Durian Popsicle, which tasted just as creamy as the real thing but was only ten baht. How much real durian do you get for 10 baht these days, I ask you?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've tried all of the flavours. Cone can be disappointing if it's been in the freezer too long.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wenshidi wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:24 pm
wenshidi wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:15 pm Do you know the story behind the new green carts? I have spotted a couple near me too. What brands do they carry?
I think the brand is Paithong. Is that rights?
This is the badge from our local cart. So yes, that is correct.
ic.jpg
ic.jpg (155.02 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Ironically, the badge states, "No.1 Coconut Ice-Cream". If that refers to all flavours, my body has not detected it yet, which is extremely unusual. Hopefully, the statement refers to just their coconut flavoured ice-cream, which my family say is delicious.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

wenshidi wrote:Really? Just last night, I was stuck choosing between taro and durian. Eventually I went for a Yakult smoothie filled with jelly squares. The dog did not like them, but I did!

Still looking for the Milo Magma and The Marquis of Peanut Butter.
One for @wenshidi maybe. We were in the old shopping mall supermarket yesterday and spotted durian ice cream in one of the freezers. It comes in small plain unbranded cardboard tubs at 35 baht each. A bit sweet but creamy with good durian flavour.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

God damn, and I went to Gee and Tung during the week instead, and I they only had a very limited selection. It is a shame that the Srassing Road is such a shadow of its former self, but this means that I rarely go to Shopping Mall anymore.

At 35 baht, it sounds like it might have been the Kings' Pothong Durian, which is meant to be higher quality that the regular 10 baht Magnolia Durian.

Are there any more left in the freezer?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

wenshidi wrote:God damn, and I went to Gee and Tung during the week instead, and I they only had a very limited selection. It is a shame that the Srassing Road is such a shadow of its former self, but this means that I rarely go to Shopping Mall anymore.

At 35 baht, it sounds like it might have been the Kings' Pothong Durian, which is meant to be higher quality that the regular 10 baht Magnolia Durian.

Are there any more left in the freezer?
About 20 on Saturday.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Mini Big C at Dinosaur has the 10 baht Magnolia Durian Popsicle if you want to do a taste comparison....
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 pm I think the spaghetti ice-cream (minus the coconut) in Samero's Gelato Cafe is my favourite in Hua Hin. The eye candy is not too bad either :oops:

ic.jpg
Is that the place in MV where the girls are dressed like it's Christmas in Pattaya?
Same at the gelato stand on 2nd floor Market Village. All shapes and sizes!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes. same place Samero's GELATO Cafe.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:36 am
STEVE G wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 pm I think the spaghetti ice-cream (minus the coconut) in Samero's Gelato Cafe is my favourite in Hua Hin. The eye candy is not too bad either :oops:

ic.jpg
Is that the place in MV where the girls are dressed like it's Christmas in Pattaya?
Same at the gelato stand on 2nd floor Market Village. All shapes and sizes!
All shapes and sizes of ice cream, or girls??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you have to ask, you obviously haven't been before. Well worth a visit, even if you just order a coffee. :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:48 am Yes. same place Samero's GELATO Cafe.
Ah thanks. And one's a ladyboy? I don't go there but I see the staff walking around on the 2nd floor. I'll check more closely in future (not too closely....).