Baht falling, which is best currency to transfer in, USD or GBP?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Baht falling, which is best currency to transfer in, USD or GBP?

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hi all,

I need to transfer a few thousand of either USD or GBP to Thailand on Monday or Tuesday, which currency is stronger against the Baht? Pound looks good on the basis of the last few days, but I don't know if that's coming back from a weaker position than the Dollar over recent months.

Cheers :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Baht falling, which is best currency to transfer in, USD or GBP?

Post by STEVE G »

GBP to USD hasn't moved much in the last two weeks so I don't think it will make much difference.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:39 pm GBP to USD hasn't moved much in the last two weeks so I don't think it will make much difference.
It's the exchange with the Baht I'm interested in. I have both so can remit either.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:44 pm
STEVE G wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:39 pm GBP to USD hasn't moved much in the last two weeks so I don't think it will make much difference.
It's the exchange with the Baht I'm interested in. I have both so can remit either.
Have a look at https://www.xe.com/ it'll give current exchange rates, history and trends.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes I realise that but the Baht is weakening pretty much equally against them both.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:05 pm
Yes I realise that but the Baht is weakening pretty much equally against them both.
Thanks, I appreciate the information!
buksida

Post by buksida »

GBP has increased against THB by 8.9% over the past six months. USD has increased by 1.9% over the same period according to xe.com charts so Sterling has had a better run so far this year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

But the only important thing is what is the rate today?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just a thought but the baht could get a lot weaker next week when the junta senate refuses to endorse Pita as PM.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
DDD

Post by DDD »

That’s my bet also. I find elections bring an optimism which doesn’t pan out as hoped. Thinking the baht may drop into August at least
Oh but to be wafted away
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks Guys.

I think I'll monitor day to day and maybe wait as long as I can. :thumb:
PineappleHUAHIN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PineappleHUAHIN »

If changing ca$h in say Hua Hin or BKK, which has better value <? To change CHF, US$ or Euros into THB ? Thanks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

PineappleHUAHIN wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:57 pm If changing ca$h in say Hua Hin or BKK, which has better value <? To change CHF, US$ or Euros into THB ? Thanks.
Welcome aboard, this place offers one of the best cash exchange rates in Hua Hin: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28571&start=19
PineappleHUAHIN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PineappleHUAHIN »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:33 pm
PineappleHUAHIN wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:57 pm If changing ca$h in say Hua Hin or BKK, which has better value <? To change CHF, US$ or Euros into THB ? Thanks.
Welcome aboard, this place offers one of the best cash exchange rates in Hua Hin: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28571&start=19
ok thank you for the information. In your experience you would recommend to change which type of currency that seems to have better value ? chf, euro or usd in cash ?
buksida

Post by buksida »

You'll get the rate on the day no matter what currency it is. I only have experience with USD.