Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Dannie Boy »

Some interesting and controversial results yesterday, with Liverpool claiming a last minute injury time winner that was hotly contested by Forest (who look to have a very valid grievance).

Elsewhere Chelsea were held to a draw against Brentford and fairly comfortable wins for Newcastle and Fulham. Wins also for Villa and Spurs.

In Everton’s game against West Ham, a combination of inspired saves by West Ham’s Areola and poor finishing from Everton paved the way for an Everton defeat - earlier in the season I was confident they could avoid the drop, but despite getting 4 points back, I might still prove to be wrong if they carry on like this!!

Let’s hope today’s Manchester derby doesn’t turn out to be a damp squib!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Dannie Boy wrote:Some interesting and controversial results yesterday, with Liverpool claiming a last minute injury time winner that was hotly contested by Forest (who look to have a very valid grievance).
Valid? Well same thing happened to Liverpool in the first half but opposite way. After the wrongfull start where Kelleher where given the ball and not Hudson Odoi the play went on for 2 mins, flowing back and forth with even a sideline throw so to say that contributed directly to the goal is far fetched!

Even the PL studio/ Sky said the same thing also backed up by the retired referee they use as expert pundit in these cases.

NF had their chances, Liverpool had most of the play. This game could have gone both ways but to say NH can blame that to the goal would be to push it too far. Yes, if the start from Kelleher directly contributed, but after 2 mins you cannot claim that!

YNWA

YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:Some interesting and controversial results yesterday, with Liverpool claiming a last minute injury time winner that was hotly contested by Forest (who look to have a very valid grievance).
Valid? Well same thing happened to Liverpool in the first half but opposite way. After the wrongfull start where Kelleher where given the ball and not Hudson Odoi the play went on for 2 mins, flowing back and forth with even a sideline throw so to say that contributed directly to the goal is far fetched!

Even the PL studio/ Sky said the same thing also backed up by the retired referee they use as expert pundit in these cases.

NF had their chances, Liverpool had most of the play. This game could have gone both ways but to say NH can blame that to the goal would be to push it too far. Yes, if the start from Kelleher directly contributed, but after 2 mins you cannot claim that!

YNWA
I don’t think I claimed anything other than Forest had a genuine grievance that the dropped ball was given to Liverpool when it should have been to Forest - whether or not it would have changed the outcome is irrelevant.

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It seems that everyone and their dog has an opinion about the referee re-starting the game with the Liverpool keeper, and if retired refs and pundits can't agree, I'll steer well clear of that. But if it should have gone to Forest, then the sequence of events that led to the goal, simply wouldn't have happened. And if it was a mistake by the ref then Forest have suffered more than most this season with bad decisions. And more worryingly, if it was an error, why didn't the other pitch official tell him?
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Caught up on the highlights. Forest totally stitched up! 😆
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 pm Caught up on the highlights. Forest totally stitched up! 😆
Not even seen highlights, but regardless of the earlier "controversy", 9+ minutes of extra time is ridiculous to me - additional time is not known before the 90 min mark and there's some ridiculous figures quite frankly (I think there were figures of 14 or 15 min plus in the last World Cup). Why can't the clock simply be stopped as it is in rugby so it's very clear to all? Of course I don't truly follow the sport, there will be those who disagree with me (BigBoy for one), BUT WHY NOT?! Surely it reduces controversy - or is it another avenue for (further) corruption that some will think?

(I'll return to my reading of the Pink Times... :wink: )

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I won't disagree. Its 6 or 2 x 3. Either add the time during the game or at the end. So long as the playing time is 90 minutes I'm not too bothered.

In rugby, at what level do they stop the clock in games? Surely, they won't have the technology at all levels, so I guess you have 2 standards for the same game. :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Right up for the City vs United in half hour! :D

Got my finger's crossed for a bloodbath, but will take a 1 nil city win.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:20 pm In rugby, at what level do they stop the clock in games? Surely, they won't have the technology at all levels, so I guess you have 2 standards for the same game. :?
Well that's the big issue I guess. The Ref (and only the Ref [EDIT] "others" viewing can call a Stop To Play over serios injury) will call to "Stop the Clock", this can happen for various reasons: -

An injury that the Ref deems must stop play - there are many injuries, but if it's deemed the player is NOT conscious or does not require immediate medical attention, play will continue (any medical attention otherwise is allowed on the pitch without play stopping).
The Scrummage - The Front Row are masters of the "Dark Arts", but the Ref will always have an inkling what's going on and who's responsible. Teams (on top) tend to try and waste time over this, but a switched on Ref will stop time to bollock the Front Rows.
Bollockings - As a player, you disrespect the Ref at your peril - can result in an additional 10 meters on a Penalty, a Penalty reversed, a Yellow or Red Card. In Wendyball, it's the complete opposite - Ref's fear players rather than the other way around. Should Ref's be surrounded in rugby as they are by the PD's in WB, the players involved would be off the pitch and banned. Of course, the latter is only my opinion as it doesn't happen in (normal) rugby.

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Rashford, ooof! What a goal
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bizarre and entertaining game. Rashford gets a stunner then completely fluffs his lines twice on the trot. City hammer the United goal to no avail. Then Haaland with the miss of the season...
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Foden screamer!

Being served up a treat
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Manure no threat to anyone, would love for City to go down a level/few points or two - but hell, does that mean I'm shouting for United?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:07 am Manure no threat to anyone, would love for City to go down a level/few points or two - but hell, does that mean I'm shouting for United?
To be fair they were on our tails, United. Closed the gap to three points but, fortunately, two losses on the trot has given us a bit of breathing room. Sunday is Villa vs Spurs biggest game of the season for us. They win they go eight points clear in 4th. Can't see us overcoming that. Or we could close the gap to two with a game in hand. Huge game.

Also that day, we have Liverpool vs City. Pretty big game, too. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If either City or Liverpool win, it might not decide the season, but it would be a big help - does that mean a draw is the most likely outcome?