Extreme jealousy in Thai relationships

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Extreme jealousy in Thai relationships

Post by HHTel »

I've noticed over the last few weeks various reports of Thai men shooting their partner or an adversary for having a relationship outside their own relationship.
Are Thai men so insecure that any affront to their ego demands retribution often by extreme measures. What is their state of mind when the only way out in their eyes is to kill your partner and/or opponent and often killing yourself.
My daughter has recently broken up with her partner after a long time relationship. Not for another guy, I might add, but that he'd become physically abusive.
She has made attempts to get the relationship back on track but eventually it comes to 'the straw that broke the camel's back' and it's time to call it a day.
Since then he's taken to stalking her, turning up at her work and other places including my house, where she's currently staying, and causing a scene. Unfortunately, stalking is not illegal here and a restraining order is almost impossible to get.
It appears that Thai men cannot move on from a broken relationship.

This is a report that I read today. Far too many similar stories:
Jealous Thai bus driver fatally shoots girlfriend in restaurant before attempting suicide

A heated argument at a Laab restaurant in Chon Buri Province ended with deadly consequences, as a Thai bus driver fatally shot his 36 year old girlfriend, an employee at the establishment, before attempting to take his own life. However, the 42 year old attacker survived, receiving serious injuries and is currently in a coma.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/j ... JpURnQbbM4
Bubba1

Re: Extreme jealousy in Thai relationships

Post by Bubba1 »

Happens everywhere. Hope you have a gun in the house to protect your family
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s definitely worrying - reports of this nature are all too familiar. Hope everything works out ok.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:I've noticed over the last few weeks various reports of Thai men shooting their partner or an adversary for having a relationship outside their own relationship.
Are Thai men so insecure that any affront to their ego demands retribution often by extreme measures. What is their state of mind when the only way out in their eyes is to kill your partner and/or opponent and often killing yourself.
My daughter has recently broken up with her partner after a long time relationship. Not for another guy, I might add, but that he'd become physically abusive.
She has made attempts to get the relationship back on track but eventually it comes to 'the straw that broke the camel's back' and it's time to call it a day.
Since then he's taken to stalking her, turning up at her work and other places including my house, where she's currently staying, and causing a scene. Unfortunately, stalking is not illegal here and a restraining order is almost impossible to get.
It appears that Thai men cannot move on from a broken relationship.

This is a report that I read today. Far too many similar stories:
Jealous Thai bus driver fatally shoots girlfriend in restaurant before attempting suicide

A heated argument at a Laab restaurant in Chon Buri Province ended with deadly consequences, as a Thai bus driver fatally shot his 36 year old girlfriend, an employee at the establishment, before attempting to take his own life. However, the 42 year old attacker survived, receiving serious injuries and is currently in a coma.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/j ... JpURnQbbM4
I appreciate stalking isn't illegal here

But dont you have a friendly policeman/police lady who you can engage to blow in his ear and make sure he does the right thing?!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So far the threat of reporting him to the police as a trespasser after coming through my gate has worked. But yes we do know some friendly cops who would 'blow in his ear'.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Bubba1 - No I don't have a gun in the house and have no intention of getting one.
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm Bubba1 - No I don't have a gun in the house and have no intention of getting one.
So you are going to sit around and ‘Hope’ for the best outcome?
Let’s hope she doesn’t become another news article.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Bubba1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:32 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm Bubba1 - No I don't have a gun in the house and have no intention of getting one.
I don't believe having a gun in the house is a bright idea nor the solution at all !!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote:
Bubba1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:32 pm
I don't believe having a gun in the house is a bright idea nor the solution at all !!!
Exactly, a gun in an inexperienced pair of hands could be more of a danger than a help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A gun - the American answer to everything!!
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:01 pm A gun - the American answer to everything!!
So what’s your solution to protect your family? A threat to call the police?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bubba1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:16 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:01 pm A gun - the American answer to everything!!
Do you have a gun in Thailand?
Talk is cheap
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

caller wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:39 pm
Bubba1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:16 pm
Do you have a gun in Thailand?
No I don’t qualify for a permit. But 10% of the Thai population has a permit to legally own a gun.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A foreigner can't legally own a gun in Thailand.

There are around 6 million legally registered guns in Thailand plus another 4 million illicit guns. That does make Thailand the highest in ASEAN.