AIS eSim for travel

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
DDD

AIS eSim for travel

Post by DDD »

Anyone used an AIS eSim for traveling outside Thailand? Can it be topped up and used for an extended time period?
Oh but to be wafted away
buksida

Re: AIS eSim for travel

Post by buksida »

Never used one of these but bought a temporary roaming package on my AIS One-2-Call SIM. It gave me a basic data internet connection in Cambodia for very little expense (about 120 baht a week) but only covers a handful of countries in the region.

If going to the US, UK, or Europe, its better to buy a local SIM there, AIS will sting you.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Did some research into eSIMs and they look like the way forward, but you need a top-end phone to support the technology... which mine isn't.

Leads me to the next question, has anyone tried the AIS SIM2fly?
https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/package ... ng/sim2fly

These look promising though as usual, the AIS website is confusing as hell. The packages offered seem to have expired already (July 2023) and it doesn't stipulate whether the 6GB is the data limit or the speed limit (they are two different things though I suspect it is a data limit which isnt very much at all).

I guess it needs a trip to the AIS shop to talk to a clueless teenage girl.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would suggest the next time you're in Hua Hin, you visit the AIS shop in MV, and discuss with them. They are probably the most helpful service I've found anywhere in Thailand. They are happy to sit and discuss your problem with you, and will suggest the best solution. Nothing seems too much bother for them, and they enjoy a challenge. A couple of times this year I've sat with them for over an hour until they sorted my enquiry to my satisfaction.

All of that, and the service is free.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Was thinking that as they were very good at diagnosing and replacing my son's Net Marathon SIM.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 pm Did some research into eSIMs and they look like the way forward, but you need a top-end phone to support the technology... which mine isn't.

Leads me to the next question, has anyone tried the AIS SIM2fly?
https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/package ... ng/sim2fly

These look promising though as usual, the AIS website is confusing as hell. The packages offered seem to have expired already (July 2023) and it doesn't stipulate whether the 6GB is the data limit or the speed limit (they are two different things though I suspect it is a data limit which isnt very much at all).

I guess it needs a trip to the AIS shop to talk to a clueless teenage girl.
If you already have an AIS sim and you register for the My AIS app, you can buy these packages directly and the terms and conditions are there in English, which might be easier than talking to a teenager!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I do so will have a look, cheers.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The AIS app has these packages which look very similar, but you don't need another SIM. Will give it a go when we need it.

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/package ... /ready2fly