In need of wheelchair accessible accommodation

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
brycey1@hotmail.com
Novice
Novice

In need of wheelchair accessible accommodation

Post by brycey1@hotmail.com »

Hello Hua Hin Forum,

I am reaching out in the hope that someone can help point me in the right direction to find accommodation in Hua Hin.
I recently moved to Thailand from the US and unfortunately suffered a stroke which has left me somewhat incapacitated.
I have currently lost the use of my left arm and my left leg is slowly on the mend.
I'm currently in Chiang Mai in a care home and receive daily physiotherapy which seems to be helping.

I plan on moving to Hua Hin and was wondering if anyone has any advice in finding suitable accommodation.
I would ideally be looking at a 1 bedroom condo/apartment, but this would need to have wheelchair access and have disabled fittings in the bathroom.....handrails etc.

I may also need the help of a carer a couple of times a day to help with various needs, until I make a fuller recovery.
If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be very grateful.
Big Boy

Re: In need of wheelchair accessible accommodation

Post by Big Boy »

Not from experience, so not a recommendation, but I've heard good things about Sunshine International, which may be a good place to start

https://sunshine-residences.com/
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
brycey1@hotmail.com
Novice
Novice

Hello Big Boy,
Many thanks for the reply.
The Sunshine residence looks very nice, although perhaps a bit upmarket.
Ultimately, I see myself being able to fend for myself and will take care of most things personally, so will not need too much in the way of help.
I have done a little research and was thinking more along the lines of the 'Condo chain' or somewhere similar.
As long as places are wheelchair/disabled friendly, then all good.
Thanks for the help.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Condo Chain is pretty old, and because this is Thailand, I'd be surprised if it was wheelchair friendly. However, we used to have a few members stay at the Condo Chain, so hopefully one may be able to advise.

I often find even 'wheelchair friendly' modern buildings in Thailand often take all of my strength with a good run-up to get up their ramps when pushing my wife.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:37 pm Condo Chain is pretty old, and because this is Thailand, I'd be surprised if it was wheelchair friendly. However, we used to have a few members stay at the Condo Chain, so hopefully one may be able to advise.

I often find even 'wheelchair friendly' modern buildings in Thailand often take all of my strength with a good run-up to get up their ramps when pushing my wife.
Actually, I visited a friend there last week and it's possible, there's a small ramp to the lobby but after that it's lifts and tiled floors so it's worth a look.
brycey1@hotmail.com
Novice
Novice

Many thanks for the help!
I am open to all suggestions.
A condo or a 1 bedroom apartment would be ideal.
I have a friend near Hua Hin who said he would take a look on my behalf.
Pinoydave
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pinoydave »

brycey1@hotmail.com wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:04 am Many thanks for the help!
I am open to all suggestions.
A condo or a 1 bedroom apartment would be ideal.
I have a friend near Hua Hin who said he would take a look on my behalf.
Be very interesting if you posted how you’re coping with your stroke in Thailand.

My wife had her stroke in the UK…… financially we can’t afford to retire yet…… but I think a warm climate would help her recovery
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Sorry to be late here, an additional thing to consider maybe.

If you are on a yearly renewable visa (O or O/A), the immigration office at Hin Lek Fai is inaccessible to you when you need to renew as it's on a first floor with very steep and long ramps. I'm sure they must find a workaround, when necessry, for example I was allowed by the immigration officer (I have known for many years) to take her mobile phone downstairs and take my wife's picture (instead of the required headshot on their desk camera). But you might be sitting outside in the heat for hours. Worth asking in advance. There's an Immigration office in Bluport Shopping mall, but they don't usually perform this service.

As you mentioned money as a factor in relation to choice of apartment, you might not also want to pay an agent to take care of visa extension for you each year, or you may.

Take care.