Euros 2024

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Euros 2024

Post by Lost »

I'm rooting for Ukraine now. Get enough heat on Southgate to get rid before Euros 24.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Southgate plays our world class players out of position in order to shoehorn his mates in. We've only ever won against those we should beat, and lost all crucial games from his decisions. Every single prominent stats, data, analysis guys in football describe Southgate as tactically inept. A poor manager.

Yet he's still here. Cos he's a 'yes man' for the FA. Sick of the bloke

I'm really looking forward to the rugby after that. :D

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Maddison, Bellingham and Saka were not firing on all cylinders within a dysfunctional system, then Southgate brought on Rashford, Foden and Gallagher and they were even worse!
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:57 am I'm really looking forward to the rugby after that. :D
Hmm, I can't say I'm bursting with enthusiasm. I will be pleasantly surprised if we win, and astonished if we win impressively.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Very poor performance from a a poor team selection. Too pedestrian, lacking in flair and ideas. Don't get the subs, we suddenly didn't have a presence on the right side of the pitch, Gallagher was brought on for what? Foden central but too crowded. Whatever Southgate was hoping for didn't materialise. Not the end of the World, but it might herald the end of Hendserson, he's dropped down a level or two in Saudi, it can't be easy to switch back when playing for England.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:07 am but it might herald the end of Hendserson, he's dropped down a level or two in Saudi, it can't be easy to switch back when playing for England.
:?

His disasterclass cameo against Croatia in 2018 should have assured he'd be, at most, a bit part player for England in future. He's not a player of that level. Never has been, he was simply blessed with a hell of a Liverpool team around him.

Yet here is starting in 2023. :banghead:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:57 am Yet he's still here. Cos he's a 'yes man' for the FA. Sick of the bloke
IMHO he's still there because he's one of the few who would even consider picking up the poison chalice. England fans want to change their manager every time they fail to bring it home. We're currently unbeaten in 5 and sitting proudly at the top of our group.

Who would replace him? Talk about sacking the bloke if you can be sure you can replace him with somebody better. Yes, there are great managers out there, but why would they give up a lucrative job to fail with England? England's failures also has something to do with the players available.

I'd love to see a change at the top, but honestly, who is better and wants the job?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I'd love to see a change at the top, but honestly, who is better and wants the job?
This is true. At this point though, I think we'd be better off with no manager. Just a computer that picks the best players on data and lines them up in their best positions. Print out the lineup for Harry, voila! :wink:

The best players being played in their best positions shouldn't be too big an ask of a football manager.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

How many times have we seen football clubs throw loads of money at new players, and on paper it looks as though they've bought the title? Its getting those players working as an effective footballing unit that is the trick. Southgate has had a fair bit of success blending a group of non-world-class players and taking them to the final stages several times.

How many superstars have Man Utd bought that turn out to be complete flops until they move on to another team. A decent coach should never let that happen.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:38 pm How many times have we seen football clubs throw loads of money at new players, and on paper it looks as though they've bought the title? Its getting those players working as an effective footballing unit that is the trick. Southgate has had a fair bit of success blending a group of non-world-class players and taking them to the final stages several times.

How many superstars have Man Utd bought that turn out to be complete flops until they move on to another team. A decent coach should never let that happen.
Not as many as Chelsea!!🤣 :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Same thing. Just trying to point out Lost's computer picking the side is bollox. If England are going to bring it home, they need a decent coach to blend the side together. Southgate is OK, but if there's somebody better out there, who is willing to pick up the poison chalice, then I would not raise any objection. However, how many coaches have we had that weren't capable of managing a schoolboy side?

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Though only a friendly, this one has a little bit of importance to it. Firstly for it being against Scotland and, secondly, Scotland's morale and support is at a high while ours is a bit mixed. A loss would be pretty dire for England and the online avalanche of #Southgateout could barrel out of control.

Leading comfortably, Scotland are unbeaten in a group including Spain (2-0 :shock:) and Haaland's Norway.

Foden in the starting lineup. Also starting is Kalvin Phillips who has played six minutes of football this season.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Comforting that we're still a better team than Scotland - by quite some margin. :D

Could have been one or two more, particularly the last play of the game. Harry surprisingly sluggish reading Foden's intentions.

In the 44th minute, after a good half, I noticed 'The England Band' squeezed in the 'Southgate you're the one' song. Silence but the trumpets. A few joined in on the last couple lines. Being polite. :laugh:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The stick Maguire gets. 🤣

The stadium loudly taunting his every touch. Most verbally abused player in football.