Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by HHTel »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:47 am Out of idle curiosity, I just did a Google image search of some UK housing and nearly every car is parked on the drive nose in so it's definitely not normal practice to reverse in.
Absolutely. Seems to be a different mentality parking on your own drive. I never reversed into my drive .... ever! Never entered my head. Your brain probably tells you "I'm not parking. I'm entering my own property!!"
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The highway code rule 201 gives guidance on reverse parking. It does state where you can.
how ever reversing out of a drive is impossible following the rule 202

Rule 201
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Rule 202
Look carefully before you start reversing. You should use all your mirrors
check the ‘blind spot’ behind you (the part of the road you cannot see easily in the mirrors)
check there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you.
Reverse slowly while checking all around,looking mainly through the rear window
being aware that the front of your vehicle will swing out as you turn.
Get someone to guide you if you cannot see clearly.
Reversing out of a drive mirrors are useless, looking mainly through the rear mirror does not see people or traffic coning from left or right side.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

At my house in Hua Hin I aways reversed into the car port. These people can't see a frigging train coming while driving, so they are unlikely to notice a car!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A more pertinent question might be; why do Thais drive in reverse down a street, into oncoming cross traffic, rather than make a 3 point turn and proceed to the corner? Don't they teach 3 point turns in Thailand?
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 am Not sure about other countries but in the UK it is illegal to reverse onto a road.
:cheers:
Only from a side road into a main road - not from your own driveway, at least according to the extracts from the Highway Code that have been quoted.
Rule 201 [...] When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Rule 202
Look carefully before you start reversing

This makes it clear that you can reverse onto a road from a driveway - it just isn't recommended.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by lindosfan1 »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 am Not sure about other countries but in the UK it is illegal to reverse onto a road.
:cheers:
Only from a side road into a main road - not from your own driveway, at least according to the extracts from the Highway Code that have been quoted.
Rule 201 [...] When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Rule 202
Look carefully before you start reversing

This makes it clear that you can reverse onto a road from a driveway - it just isn't recommended.
Read it properly if you reverse out most of the time you cannot see clearly, as stated in me previous post if you reverse out with bad vision and a car hits you, you will be prosecuted. Hi lighting part of the guidance is not clever. :banghead:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Part of the problem here is that quoting from the Highway Code is fine but it isn't a legal document. Some of the rules are in fact law but many are not.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:10 pm Part of the problem here is that quoting from the Highway Code is fine but it isn't a legal document. Some of the rules are in fact law but many are not.
Interesting, being the driving test is based on the highway code, could you advise which ones are not law?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:40 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:10 pm Part of the problem here is that quoting from the Highway Code is fine but it isn't a legal document. Some of the rules are in fact law but many are not.
Interesting, being the driving test is based on the highway code, could you advise which ones are not law?
The Highway Code is not something I've read since the 1980s but I've had a look and if you read the introduction, it points out that the parts that are legal requirements use the words must/must not in bold text.
It does also point out that the other parts can be used against you in court to establish liability but are not illegal and use the advisory wording such as, should/should not or do/do not.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It does also point out that the other parts can be used against you in court to establish liability but are not illegal and use the advisory wording such as, should/should not or do/do not.

Typical Thai twaddle and fence sitting.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Slightly going off subject, but that’s probably why more and more people are using dash cams, so that they can’t be blamed when innocent.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 pm It does also point out that the other parts can be used against you in court to establish liability but are not illegal and use the advisory wording such as, should/should not or do/do not.

What has the UK Highway Code to do with 'Thai twaddle'?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:35 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 pm It does also point out that the other parts can be used against you in court to establish liability but are not illegal and use the advisory wording such as, should/should not or do/do not.

What has the UK Highway Code to do with 'Thai twaddle'?
Same same!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

As your typical vehicle is articulated in the front and had no blind spots there either, it makes a lot of sense to position the non-articulated end of the vehicle towards the rear (dead-end) of the parking spot. It is also human nature to 'keep your back to the wall' especially in crowded situations like in a train so you are in a better position to take an action when you see a situation. The fact that we don't have eyes in the back of our heads is also another possible hindrance.
In keeping with the topic of why Thais do it, well in a typical shopping center carpark you have a central lane with parking on either side, you want to have better articulation coming out to where even a tenth of a degree counts, especially if there is another lane of cars parked in front of you and you'll have to push them out of the way. Pray you don't have to deal with the numpty who has actually engaged his handbrake.
Swampypoom parking is a good example of why this is your typical parking preference in Thailand. My two baht worth.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a Pajero and parking in neutral is impossible. The ignition key is locked in on anything else other than 'P'ark.