Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
DDD

Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by DDD »

Why is it common practice to back into parking places in Thailand? Everywhere else it seems like drivers pull straight in. Have to appreciate how good drivers are backing up though. Me and others in US, not so good. I even had someone back into me as I also was backing up.
Why don’t motorcycle riders also back in? Yeah most have no reverse but have to shuffle back from some parking spots they pulled into…
Oh but to be wafted away
Big Boy

Re: Why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by Big Boy »

I've never pulled straight in. I actually find it difficult to park straight if I go forwards into a parking bay. Maybe a slight exaggeration - at motorway service station, I might pull straight in. So you can add at least 1 Brit to your question.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was taught to reverse into a space as part of a defensive driving course I was given when driving in Saudi Arabia - it was just after a number of people had been killed by gunmen and the principle was to be ready to move as quickly as possible in the event of an “incident” obviously driving out forwards would be a lot quicker than trying to reverse out.

Even though I don’t feel vulnerable when parking in Thailand (or the UK), it’s a practice I maintain.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I don't know why they do but all I know is the vast majority of them can't do it in one or two attempts. Takes them 3 or 4 goes and that's with reversing cameras

I see it literally everyday and multiple times too. Plus they slow the whole process down. No wonder there are queues outside Market Village

The only Thai I know who's reasonably accomplished at it lived in the UK for 15 years. Enough said

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The correct way to park is 'reversing in'. Certainly in the UK that is part of your driving test.
The test in Thailand (which doesn't entail driving on a road) does require you to reverse into a parking bay.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:53 pm I was taught to reverse into a space as part of a defensive driving course I was given when driving in Saudi Arabia - it was just after a number of people had been killed by gunmen and the principle was to be ready to move as quickly as possible in the event of an “incident” obviously driving out forwards would be a lot quicker than trying to reverse out.

Even though I don’t feel vulnerable when parking in Thailand (or the UK), it’s a practice I maintain.
Very similar experience/course for me in Iran and Congo. But also, on several sites I have worked on (mining especially), it's a condition (Safety/HR ruling).

HOWEVER, in "normal" circumstances I'll drive/park "straight in" - bizarrely, the LHG will always reverse park (even at home) as she has difficulty parking "straight in"!! :roll:
HHTel wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 pm The correct way to park is 'reversing in'. Certainly in the UK that is part of your driving test.
When was this - BC or AD :D :wink: ? Not part of my test 35 odd years ago and not part of tests my nephew has taken - for that matter, the LHG had to take one when she came to the UK as her Chinese license wasn't accepted (long term).

Perhaps you are referring to "Parallel Parking" which, yes indeed the correct way is to "Reverse In" - I'm guessing this post refers more to the MV parking et al.. :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'll admit that I'm not the world's greatest driver, I don't even bother owning a car in Europe but it makes no sense to me, the road is large and the parking space small, it's much easier to reverse out into the road when you leave than into the parking space when you arrive!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:51 am I'll admit that I'm not the world's greatest driver, I don't even bother owning a car in Europe but it makes no sense to me, the road is large and the parking space small, it's much easier to reverse out into the road when you leave than into the parking space when you arrive!
Not sure about other countries but in the UK it is illegal to reverse onto a road.
:cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 am
STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:51 am I'll admit that I'm not the world's greatest driver, I don't even bother owning a car in Europe but it makes no sense to me, the road is large and the parking space small, it's much easier to reverse out into the road when you leave than into the parking space when you arrive!
Not sure about other countries but in the UK it is illegal to reverse onto a road.
I never knew that, I had a house in England for 6 years in the nineties and reversed into the road every morning!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:22 am
I never knew that, I had a house in England for 6 years in the nineties and reversed into the road every morning!
Illegal or not, it’s definitely more dangerous too.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:30 am
STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:22 am

Illegal or not, it’s definitely more dangerous too.
Luckily in Thailand, I can afford a property large enough to turn around on the road around my garden!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by HHTel »

When was this - BC or AD :D :wink: ? Not part of my test 35 odd years ago and not part of tests my nephew has taken - for that matter, the LHG had to take one when she came to the UK as her Chinese license wasn't accepted (long term).
That was back in the 60's. Admittedly I took my basic driving test in Gibraltar and my advanced in the UK. The test in Gibraltar done by the army which also included a 'commentary' while driving. It was probably more difficult than one done by the regular MOT bods.
Took mine in a long wheelbase landrover without synchromesh gears. Who remembers 'double declutching' when changing down?
Since December 2017, front and reverse bay parking has also been included as one of the three possible manoeuvres in the practical driving test for learner drivers, along with parallel parking, reversing and re-entering traffic. Examiners could ask participants to undertake a reverse or forward bay park, so it should be something you practice a lot of before taking your practical.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Because that's the intelligent way to park vs backing out, when you can't see 2/3 of behind you.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Out of idle curiosity, I just did a Google image search of some UK housing and nearly every car is parked on the drive nose in so it's definitely not normal practice to reverse in.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would imagine the fact that nobody ever gives way or lets anyone else go here would make reversing out of a spot more of a challenge.
DDD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:03 pm Why don’t motorcycle riders also back in? Yeah most have no reverse but have to shuffle back from some parking spots they pulled into…
They do if they have a big bike!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson