Headlight Misting

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Headlight Misting

Post by Big Boy »

Ever since I've been driving in Thailand, I've had a perpetual problem with a dull mist forming on the outside of my headlights, and everything I try to remove it, fails. I've bought stuff, and I even had a cousin who suggested I use tooth paste (yes, I fell for that as well :oops:). The only real success has been when I've taken the car to a garage, and have paid to have it done. Even that only lasts a couple of months, and it comes back.

I've just spent 30 minutes using a product I bought from China. As I apply it, it seems to be working brilliantly, but when the headlights were dry, I'd swear it had made the situation worse.

It really niggles me because I look at car headlights as I walk through car parks (slightly less interesting that train spotting), and nobody else in Thailand seems to have the same problem.

Can anybody please suggest a solution - I do a fair bit of night driving, and it must affect the illumination in front of me.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Headlight Misting

Post by sateeb »

Big fan of baking soda and vinegar.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Interesting, thank you. It is actually reassuring that I'm not the only one to suffer the problem. Also nice to see somebody else using toothpaste - I honestly thought I'd been wound up on that one :laugh:

I've bought the restoration kits before, but they haven't worked for me. I will try the toothpaste again, and if that doesn't work will try the baking powder and vinegar. If that still doesn't work, I guess it'll be sanding. The comments steer me towards, "Kits like 3M include 300-600-1000 grit discs then (3000 Trizact) for cutting (using a drill) with a polishing pad and polish to clarify." Or maybe just another trip to the garage.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And if that doesn’t work, you’ll need to buy a new motor!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL I know the garage solution works - I was just feeling aggrieved that nobody else had the problem. Now I know sateeb obviously suffers the same problem, and it's so widespread people have made videos about it, I feel much better. A problem shared :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Polishing with Jewellers Rouge will do the trick. You can get online from Lazada.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've polished out the headlights on my old Vigo a few times using toothpaste and also car scratch remover polish. The problem is that it takes a long time to do it by hand.
I think next time I'll get a small electric die grinder and use fine grit discs which should do the job much quicker.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:56 pm The problem is that it takes a long time to do it by hand.
Out of interest Steve, how long is a long time? Have I been too impatient? I watched sateeb's video earlier and it seemed to take seconds. Was that just YouTube magic?

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:10 pm
STEVE G wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:56 pm The problem is that it takes a long time to do it by hand.
Out of interest Steve, how long is a long time? Have I been too impatient? I watched sateeb's video earlier and it seemed to take seconds. Was that just YouTube magic?
Mine were pretty bad and it took about an hour each side.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: A bit more than my 5 minutes each side then :shock:

Thank you - I'd better try again then :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

You'll have to completely remove that oxidized layer of protective coating, polish it down and then add some sort of protective layer again, otherwise you'll still have the problem. Manufacturers started to include high impact resistant materials (aka polycarbonate) for headlights as a safety issue, I don't think it was a mandated change. Trouble is, polycarbonate, while great at impact resistance, oxidizes and turns yellow. You don't find this with the other acrylic lenses (used for signal and brake lights), but acrylic shatters on impact.
I've used Meguiar's headlight restoration kit spray, and I get over a year before I have to resand, polish and use the treatment again. And yes, you have to be aggressive to remove the coating.
I may just consider getting some two-part clear epoxy spray paint the next time, though.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just had my car in the body shop on the Pal-u road towards the bypass. They were asked to go around the whole car and fix scratches and dents. They did an excellent job as always.
My headlights had some very serious 'bloom'. I had it in my head to try the toothpaste solution after I picked up my car. However, the first thing I noticed was that my headlights are now crystal clear. I meant to ask them what they used but they appeared very busy.
I'm sure I'll notice a difference when it gets dark.

Note to myself: Stop lending your car to any Tom Dick or Harry!!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:56 pm Just had my car in the body shop on the Pal-u road towards the bypass. They were asked to go around the whole car and fix scratches and dents. They did an excellent job as always.....
How much do they charge for that? If you don't mind me asking.
I have a 17 year old Hilux that is mechanically in excellent condition and has never had a crash but it is starting to look a bit tired and could do with a touch up like that.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Charged me 8K but they had the car for 10 days and did an excellent job. A friend commented in the afternoon "Oh you've had a respray. That would have cost you!!"
That's how good the job was. They even did the wheel arches. Definite recommendation. They are very busy as I had to book the car in 2 weeks in advance.

They will give you a price on the spot after they look at what's required.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:56 pm Just had my car in the body shop on the Pal-u road towards the bypass. They were asked to go around the whole car and fix scratches and dents. They did an excellent job as always.
My headlights had some very serious 'bloom'. I had it in my head to try the toothpaste solution after I picked up my car. However, the first thing I noticed was that my headlights are now crystal clear. I meant to ask them what they used but they appeared very busy.
I'm sure I'll notice a difference when it gets dark.

Note to myself: Stop lending your car to any Tom Dick or Harry!!!
Hi HHTel. I've used Tweesak Auto in Pala-U Road for body work in the past and was satisfied at cost and job done, but that's opposite the school down at the railway crossing end. I presume you mean another place, does it have a name or could you tell us the specific location please?