Thailand’s new penalty point system for driving offences is now in effect

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Thailand’s new penalty point system for driving offences is now in effect

Post by joelle »

Source : Hua Hin Today

A new point system for motorists goes into effect on January 9, but police say they will prioritize encouraging awareness for the general public to understand these regulations before they are fully enforced.

According to Highway Police Division commander Maj-General Ekkarat Limsangkat, the new point system was adopted to improve traffic law compliance, reduce accidents and improve road safety.

Each motorist will begin with a total of 12 points. Points will be deducted for violations of traffic laws, with the most serious offenses resulting in the largest deductions. A driver’s license will be suspended if all 12 points are lost and their license will be revoked if they receive three suspensions within three years.

RELATED: Thailand’s new penalty point system for driving offences – here’s what you need to know

Offenses such as speeding, not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, or not wearing a seatbelt will result in a one-point reduction. Fleeing the scene of an accident will result in a three-point penalty, while drunk driving will deduct four points from the offender.

Gen Ekkara said the system will be applied to every driver, but assures that these offenders will have a chance to reform depending on the situation. While some individuals thought the point deduction for drunk driving was “too little,” he stressed that these violators will also face legal charges under the law which include prison and fines as well.
PeteC

Re: Thailand’s new penalty point system for driving offences is now in effect

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

well according to the 3 and 4 points you can lose in the thaiger article
the roads should be pretty much traffic free within a few days
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was tried in the early 200's (2002/3 I believe) A little different in that it was based on an accumulation of points up to 40. It didn't work then and was forgotten. I was stopped at the time for going through a red light, despite being waved through by a policeman. (later dropped after the policeman in question admitted the action). However, the officer at the police station said that I'd earned ??penalty points. "Thank you", I replied. "Can I pay to get more?" (joke and fortunately had a sense of humour). I used an IDP and he was asking me where in the document does he record the penalty points! Anyway, after talking to the policeman on point duty, it was dropped with an apology.

I guess the same may happen this time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’ll be a shame if it does fall into oblivion because the one thing Thailand needs is some form of bad driving deterrent but then again how will they enforce the new system, other than by a few cameras?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Those without a licence will still pay to have it ignored.