Brit gunned down while riding scooter in Thailand in road rage incident

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Brit gunned down while riding scooter in Thailand in road rage incident

Post by buksida »

A British man has been shot and killed while riding his scooter in Thailand in an attack that officials believe may have been motivated by a love triangle.

Retired engineer Neil Roger had been driving his red Honda Scoopy home after leaving a party with friends when he was shot four times in the back on Thursday.

Police have said that the 70-year-old's brutal killing could have been a crime of passion or a road rage dispute and are investigating the phone records of his partner, Thitiphan Kamlas.

Locals in Huai Yai, Chonburi, described hearing gunshots and discovering Mr Roger, from Doncaster, South Yorks, in a pool of blood shortly before 10.30pm.

Harrowing CCTV footage from the scene showed a car overtaking Mr Roger before coming to a halt right in front of him.

The chilling footage then caught a figure emerging from the vehicle and shooting Mr Roger, killing him instantly, before jumping back into the vehicle and fleeing the scene.

Ms Kamlas arrived at the scene of the murder to discover her partner lying dead in the road.

Upon witnessing the shocking scene, the distraught 38-year-old collapsed to the floor sobbing.

Police Colonel Surakit In-am from the Huay Yai district police division said they believe the motive behind the killing could have been a "love affair or road rage" and that officers are looking into these hypotheses.

He said: "The girlfriend's phone has been confiscated and we are checking all the communication she had with him and other people.

"Three motives we are looking at firstly are that the victim was involved in a love affair, road rage or a dispute. We are also planning to interview the last people who saw [the victim] before he went home. They will know if he had an argument before leaving on his bike.

"We have to decide if the attack was planned or it happened suddenly, after something like a fight in the bar."

Mr Roger had been living in Thailand for 20 years but had recently returned to the UK to visit his sister — who had been suffering from ill health — in Doncaster.

He had arrived back in Thailand just a day before the killing and police have said they believe it was a targeted attack.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... r-28892736

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brit ... 51265.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Brit gunned down while riding scooter in Thailand in 'love triangle' killing

Post by HHTel »

"We have to decide if the attack was planned or it happened suddenly, after something like a fight in the bar."
I would have thought catching the shooter was more important than the 'why'.
Big Boy

Re: Brit gunned down while riding scooter in Thailand in 'love triangle' killing

Post by Big Boy »

A chicken and egg situation. If they know the motive, they will have a better idea of where to look. If they catch the shooter, they should learn the motive.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think checking his girlfriends phone is a good start!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Suspect surrenders for fatal shooting of retired British engineer

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... h-engineer
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Loss of face appears to have cost the unfortunate victim his life.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

And it just so happens he had a gun handy so how many Thais carry a gun in the car .
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Many more than you'd expect and not just the bad guys.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s obviously no justification for what this guy did and a sad reminder if ever it was needed, that as tempted as you may be to retaliate to bad driving, even by just a flash of the lights or sound of the horn, best left alone.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to re name the heading to reflect the road rage angle not a love triangle.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Re: Brit gunned down while riding scooter in Thailand in road rage incident

Post by buksida »

:thumb: can't trust anything from the Mirror!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:There’s obviously no justification for what this guy did and a sad reminder if ever it was needed, that as tempted as you may be to retaliate to bad driving, even by just a flash of the lights or sound of the horn, best left alone.
Thanks for the timely reminder DB

As a cyclist I get carved up sometimes and have occasionally objected vocally.

Might think again now especially if a truck!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:45 am
Dannie Boy wrote:There’s obviously no justification for what this guy did and a sad reminder if ever it was needed, that as tempted as you may be to retaliate to bad driving, even by just a flash of the lights or sound of the horn, best left alone.
Thanks for the timely reminder DB

As a cyclist I get carved up sometimes and have occasionally objected vocally.

Might think again now especially if a truck!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
I’ve done it myself in the past, only to be scalded by my wife for this very same reason - you just don’t know who you’re dealing with behind tinted glass!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It would be interesting to find out exactly when and why this "don't honk the horn" thing all started. I recall in the 90's horns were in frequent use everywhere. I had a bus horn installed under the hood on my Toyota tiger and used it frequently, usually as a warning not as an attack/complaint. Very strange IMO that the habits of an entire society changed as it has.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

It seems to be a specific thing to Thailand/Thai drivers - the horn is applied liberally in Vietnam, Burma, Nepal, and the Philippines and they don't go batshit crazy or take it personally. Must be something to do with face and that behave like an 8-year-old when behind the wheel mentality which is so prevalent here.