Where to travel to avoid Thailand rainy seasons?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Where to travel to avoid Thailand rainy seasons?

Post by thecolonel »

Ok as we've had 65% more rain than average in first 7 days of October

AND its rained heavier since, then I have a serious question

So practically speaking where would you go to escape the rain? I say practically as in ideally travelling the shortest distance necessary but still getting pretty good weather

The whole of Thailand is out, I assume

Preferably somewhere with golf

Ideally not as far as Dubai!

All suggestions welcome, thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

buksida

Re: Where to travel to avoid Thailand rainy seasons?

Post by buksida »

I would imagine most of Southeast Asia would be out also including Laos and Cambodia as they suffer from the same weather systems. The Philippines and Vietnam bear the brunt of these massive storms, and Indonesia and Malaysia have religious issues so not good as bases.

It would probably need to be farther afield. Personally, I'd be quite content to go back to Scotland between June and October as the weather there was much better than here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

During Thailand's rainy season it's usually wet from southern China all the way to the tip of Singapore, including Vietnam, Burma etc.

The best bet I think would be Indonesia where their rainy starts more or less when ours is over, and runs all Winter and Spring. Bali is filled with Australians more or less constantly.

Philippines is also an option if you can avoid the periodic typhoons, as is Taiwan, Japan and South Korea where it rains but not usually as much as here.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:During Thailand's rainy season it's usually wet from southern China all the way to the tip of Singapore, including Vietnam, Burma etc.

The best bet I think would be Indonesia where their rainy starts more or less when ours is over, and runs all Winter and Spring. Bali is filled with Australians more or less constantly.

Philippines is also an option if you can avoid the periodic typhoons, as is Taiwan, Japan and South Korea where it rains but not usually as much as here.
Bali looks good

Average 64 mm of rain versus Hua Hin 249

Average 6 days of rain (theyll be the on the 6 days I go! Image)

Buksi, if I ever were to go back to UK on my schedule it would be Sept/Oct. to avoid the rain here. Some very fine golfing days can be had in those months. Even in Scotland! Image

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, Buksi says they've had rain out where he lives constantly for months, but is Hua Hin really that bad that you need to escape elsewhere? The last couple of days have been wet, but outside of that, we've had a couple of showers. IMHO, as this is likely to be the worst year ever, is moving elsewhere during our (3 day?) rainy season, a bit of a knee jerk reaction?
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I still believe that we're somewhat lucky in HH. Other places have had much worse weather than we've had. HH is deemed as one of the driest places in Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I knew the "rain deniers" would jump on this one ... I think I'll move back to Hua Hin if it has only been raining for 3 days this year. :roll:
It hasn't stopped for 5 fkin months down here. :cuss:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's not denial - a few showers doesn't hurt anybody. The last 3 days have been quite miserable though. As you know, my wife is quite ill, and getting her wet is a definite no. We didn't get around the lake today, and I turned around quite sharpish a couple of days ago. Outside of that, rain isn't a problem. I carry substantial wet weather gear on my wife's wheelchair as a precaution, and that has been used once this year.

I remember your comment a while back about loving this thread because somebody looks out of their window, sees it's raining and posts about it. I don't think anybody denied it, but rain in Hua Hin is such an event.

I have been watching Thai news, and regularly see how the rest of the country is being affected. Of course, I feel sorry for them, but 3 days of miserable weather in Hua Hin, and people want to bale out. I see that in the same light as you see people looking out of the window and posting that its raining.

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:41 pm It's not denial - a few showers doesn't hurt anybody. The last 3 days have been quite miserable though.
Imagine that misery for months on end, that is what it has been like down here. I'm just jealous and would seriously consider moving back to HH for a few months a year if what you're saying is accurate and it has only been pissing for a couple of days this entire wet season.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:It's not denial - a few showers doesn't hurt anybody. The last 3 days have been quite miserable though. As you know, my wife is quite ill, and getting her wet is a definite no. We didn't get around the lake today, and I turned around quite sharpish a couple of days ago. Outside of that, rain isn't a problem. I carry substantial wet weather gear on my wife's wheelchair as a precaution, and that has been used once this year.

I remember your comment a while back about loving this thread because somebody looks out of their window, sees it's raining and posts about it. I don't think anybody denied it, but rain in Hua Hin is such an event.

I have been watching Thai news, and regularly see how the rest of the country is being affected. Of course, I feel sorry for them, but 3 days of miserable weather in Hua Hin, and people want to bale out. I see that in the same light as you see people looking out of the window and posting that its raining.
This thread is about 'where' to travel not if

Also you're not a golfer so you don't appreciate the effect all this build up of rain in Sept/Oct has on the courses. Some golfers will play on anything, in anything but for some of us it just ruins the experience. And it's pretty much why we live here in the first place

Please start your own thread about rain moaners(different subject) and then most of us can just ignore it

Last edited by thecolonel on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise with bikers, we don't like months of rain because our motorcycles stay in the garage!

Back to travel, Bali sounds interesting but I have been there and it is extremely touristy and expensive, a bit like a Phuket of Indonesia!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously not everybody's perception, else the thread wouldn't have been started, but unless my memory is fading with age, I don't remember a lot of rain. In previous years you could almost set your watch by the rain for 2 hours almost daily between 2 and 6 - that just hasn't happened this year.

Points 48; Position 21
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:Obviously not everybody's perception, else the thread wouldn't have been started, but unless my memory is fading with age, I don't remember a lot of rain. In previous years you could almost set your watch by the rain for 2 hours almost daily between 2 and 6 - that just hasn't happened this year.
Can some Mod tell this Mod to stay on topic please

Thanks Image

bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Lombok, such a nice place, un xxxxed so far by mass tourism
been there many times in the "rainy season " for them and you wouldn't even know it was rainy season
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:59 pm Can some Mod tell this Mod to stay on topic please

Thanks Image

OK, Hua Hin :run:

Points 48; Position 21