A Pub in Wales!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

A Pub in Wales!

Post by HHTel »

Nobody willing to run Welsh pub after brewery banned mobile phones, music, TVs and swearing

Even dart boards are absent and all beers, mixers and crisps are own label brands sold by pub owner Samuel Smiths

A pub in north Wales is struggling to sell as potential applicants are deterred by the "ridiculous" rules of the brewery that runs it. Music, tv and mobile phones are banned from the much-loved Sir Gawain and The Green Knight in Connah’s Quay, Flintshire.

Described as a former farmhouse “in a sea of modern housing”, even swearing is banned on the premises. Beers, mixers and crisps are own label brands sold by pub owner Samuel Smiths, while dart boards are also nowhere to be seen.

“We were in the pub a few years back... six of us, all family, on New Year’s Eve. A phone came out to take a quick photo and we were roasted for it. There wasn’t anyone else there. We left pretty much there and then... don’t want a pub with draconian rules.”
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/nobo ... MYoEktacNk

Your kind of pub, Pharvey??
pharvey

Re: A Pub in Wales!

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:07 pm Your kind of pub, Pharvey??
A "Pub in Wales" it may be, but it is a Yorkshire brewery that owns it... :wink:

To me, you've got to be realistic - what are you trying to sell, a lounge or a bar/pub? I've no problem with trying to stamp out foul language, but there'll always be a "slip" after a few drinks.... :oops: No music - fine by me, it's good to actually hear a conversation. TV's/phones - again, be realistic.....

Back in the day, rather than being "open plan", you had a "Bar Side" and a "Lounge Side" - the latter suited to these rules.... Perhaps it's what this pub needs. :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I remember the public bar being Darts no carpet usually no women, the lounge bar better seating carpet more refined clientele, the the snug a very small bar if I remember correctly it was for women.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm I remember the public bar being Darts no carpet usually no women, the lounge bar better seating carpet more refined clientele, the the snug a very small bar if I remember correctly it was for women.
I think that would be impossible in these times. Every advocate in England would be descending upon the place screaming about discrimination against women. They would be correct too.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm I remember the public bar being Darts no carpet usually no women, the lounge bar better seating carpet more refined clientele, the the snug a very small bar if I remember correctly it was for women.
I believe your memory is correct although I doubt that Mr Harvey was allowed into the Lounge Bar :duck: :wink: only joking so please don’t take offence Pete!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:33 pm I believe your memory is correct although I doubt that Mr Harvey was allowed into the Lounge Bar :duck: :wink: only joking so please don’t take offence Pete!!
No offence taken - and no, I didn't frequent the Lounge Bar!! :wink:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:36 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:33 pm I believe your memory is correct although I doubt that Mr Harvey was allowed into the Lounge Bar :duck: :wink: only joking so please don’t take offence Pete!!
No offence taken - and no, I didn't frequent the Lounge Bar!! :wink:
If I remember correctly, a pint in the Public Bar was always a few pence cheaper than in the Lounge - can’t ever remember going into a Snug - they were probably reserved for Ena Sharples and the like!!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I only used to use the public bar, occasionally the lounge if with parents. Danny boy you are right the public bar was the the cheapest
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:38 pm I only used to use the public bar, occasionally the lounge if with parents.
Pretty much my memories - I like many others took my parents out (in "Sunday best") for a drink on a Sunday lunchtime (pubs closing at 2:30pm in those days). Amazing to see the difference in behaviour by certain patrons when it came to Sunday lunchtime with their mothers in tow!! :D

[EDIT] Regarding TV's in the bar - back then, was nothing like today with the sports on TV. No Satellite TV, only 4 Terrestrial channels available (BBC 1 & 2, ITV and CH4). The TV was brought into the "Public Bar" once in a blue moon (Saturday afternoon) if the rugby was on or a big football match televised....

[EDIT 2] Not to mention we didn't have SMART Phones!!

:cheers: :cheers:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Just remembered, when I was 18 I worked part time in a bar, one person always sat in the corner drinking a pint of light ale and bitter. This cost one shilling and 10 pence a pint, in the new currency it would be the equivalent of 9 pence. :shock: The cost of a pint of bitter these days dependant on where you go is upwards of £5. :cry:
:cheers:
Edit I do not remember tv's being in the bar in the early 60's. :?
Last edited by lindosfan1 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

upwards of £5
But....But....But.... people go back to the UK, and tell us how much cheaper beer is over there. You must go to the wrong places :run:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pharvey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:37 pm A "Pub in Wales" it may be, but it is a Yorkshire brewery that owns it... :wink:
And a Samuel Smiths pub as well, so Samuel Smith beer, excellent, They used to have a pub that I frequented in Richmond, Surrey, because of the beer. Funny that doesn't get a mention in this report.
Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:43 pm
upwards of £5
But....But....But.... people go back to the UK, and tell us how much cheaper beer is over there. You must go to the wrong places :run:
The cheapest is weatherspoons the buy beer close to the run out date. I rarely use pubs locally but in London I was charged £7.50 for a pint. It does depend where you live and drink.
:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:53 pm
pharvey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:37 pm A "Pub in Wales" it may be, but it is a Yorkshire brewery that owns it... :wink:
And a Samuel Smiths pub as well, so Samuel Smith beer, excellent, They used to have a pub that I frequented in Richmond, Surrey, because of the beer. Funny that doesn't get a mention in this report.
Not a beer or stout drinker, but did enjoy their cider. (not normally good in that part of the world IMHO). Visited a couple of Samuel Smith pubs when working or visiting relatives many moons ago in Yorkshire - unfortunately not many pubs or relatives left that way!!

:cheers: :cheers:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In the early 60's the pub in Lydden-near-Dover had only one room and all sexes drank there. Down the road in Dover, there was a separate room for women in every pub.
In Sydney, there were two rooms; a man could go into the women's section with a woman, but women couldn't go into the men's section. None of the women wanted to go into the men's section. They knew what it was like and weren't interested and men didn't want to hear women's conversations. I don't think that has changed.