Monthly golf membership

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Monthly golf membership

Post by Taylor707 »

Hello fellow golfers. I'm new to this forum, so apologize in advance if I'm posting this question in the wrong section.

I'm usually in Pattaya every year from October-April or longer but want to try spending a month (October) in Hua Hin this year before heading to Pattaya. Been there a few times for about a week each time and really enjoyed it. Want to see how it goes spending a month there which might end up leading to longer. Not really into the Pattaya party scene and enjoy the more chill vibe of Hua Hin. Also like the variety of great restaurants as well as all the great golf options which leads to my question...

Are there any type of monthly golf memberships for someone in my type of situation? Ideally it would be one that included more than one course. Would like to play 2-3 times per week and possibly more if I do go the membership route. Otherwise, I guess I'll just look for sports days or twilight deals.

I do still like Pattaya as I have many friends there and there's lots of reasonable golf options. I can also avoid the party scene most of the time and mainly hang out at more chill bars when I am out a few times a week. Just looking for other options.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Taylor.
lomuamart

Re: Monthly golf membership

Post by lomuamart »

Some of the courses have the occasional offer of xxx number of rounds over a period of time for discounted green fees but I think you'll find them few and far between as we enter "high season" in October. And I doubt you'll find courses offering group deals.

One option would be to approach the societies in town and see if you can get some games in as a guest. The societies play all the courses in the area. If you want help with that, let me know.
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taylor707 »

Appreciate the reply. Yes, a golf society could be another way to go as well as a good way to meet some locals.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Hua Hin has no equivalent of Pattaya Sports Club so the only way to get cheaper deals for all courses is to try to join with one of the societies. That may be a problem as they all have a permanent resident requirement to quality for cheaper rates, you may however be able to play as a guest.
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taylor707 »

PJG wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm Hua Hin has no equivalent of Pattaya Sports Club so the only way to get cheaper deals for all courses is to try to join with one of the societies. That may be a problem as they all have a permanent resident requirement to quality for cheaper rates, you may however be able to play as a guest.
Thanks for the reply. I read something about that on one of the society websites. Think it said you need to live there 3 months of the year which I'd qualify for. Got my Thai drivers licenses and bank account there but visa may be an issue as I usually just get a 60 day tourist visa at my local Thai embassy, extend 30 there and then take a trip somewhere to leave and enter again
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Most of the societies are not even slightly interested what kind of visa you have or whether you are staying permanently. The only important factor is "Are you a nice person to play with?". If the answer is "Yes" then you will have no trouble joining almost all of them. You would then get a 50% reduction on green fees.
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taylor707 »

HarryVardon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:00 pm Most of the societies are not even slightly interested what kind of visa you have or whether you are staying permanently. The only important factor is "Are you a nice person to play with?". If the answer is "Yes" then you will have no trouble joining almost all of them. You would then get a 50% reduction on green fees.
Appreciate the reply and no problem fitting in with others. I like to play well but primarily there to have fun and not take the game too serious.

I've got a golf line group n Pattaya with some full time residents there for others that come and go. My rules for the group are to come out to have fun. Don't care if you're a beginner or a pro but have proper etiquette and treat the caddies with respect.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I play in a society that only plays at Lake View. You are welcome to play as my guest whenever you like. But if you want to play different courses you will have to contact one of the other groups.
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taylor707 »

HarryVardon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:30 am I play in a society that only plays at Lake View. You are welcome to play as my guest whenever you like. But if you want to play different courses you will have to contact one of the other groups.
Appreciate that. May I ask why your society only plays that course? Also, last time I was there and went to enquire at Seapines, I asked a couple members that were just finishing how the course was. They were helpful and honest saying it wasn't in good shape currently and to go play Lake view or Palm Hills I think (can't remember). They said they had a membership that included both courses. Thinking it was Palm hills if I remember correctly cause I didn't end up playing it, but didn't end up playing Lake View that trip which I remember enjoying.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Basicaly, most of our members are members of Lake View. Members don't pay green fee and get a reduction in the buggy fee (600 instead of 750).
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Think I am right about the residential qualification for the larger Societies that play all the courses, wasn't really talking about small groups that play specific courses.
Try posting your question on the Hua Golf Facebook group. Most of the Society Admins monitor that group so you should get an answer.
GeeLuv
Novice
Novice

Post by GeeLuv »

In February 2022, Palm Hills offered a monthly membership for 9,900 baht. It’s still up on the website, you can inquire with them. I would say it’s the 4-6 best in town behind black mountain, Banya and Springfield. On par with Lakeview and Sea Pines. It’s also a good location if you stay on the north side of Hua Hin.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Sea Pines is 3500 per month
any day any time
can start any time not just 1st of month
caddie 350/buggy 600
Taylor707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taylor707 »

Thanks for the help guys. I contacted Palm Hills and they're still offering that monthly deal. Seapines deal sounds like it ends at the end of this month but 3,500 seems crazy cheap. Is the course in rough shape or something? Little over 100 baht a day?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

How things change. It does not seem so long ago (but in reality it was) that I paid US $ 100 for a monthly weekday only membership at Springfield. This was green fee only so buggy and caddy were extra but good value for a fairly new 18 hole course (that shows how long ago it was).
Never played at Sea Pines but heard that it is well used being an army course and there used to be issues of large groups which slowed play considerably.
While green fees have gone up it does seem that there is not too much change in caddy or buggy fees. I have not played for a long time now as I find mountain biking a better exercise and considerably cheaper.