Huamark police station 'safe' despite floor collapsing

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Huamark police station 'safe' despite floor collapsing

Post by PeteC »

What this story/link is about is irrelevant as compared to the following statement found as the last sentence.

"They blamed the floor's ultimate collapse on gradual soil subsidence, he said."

The building is sinking, just as all of Bangkok is. You don't often see News stories exposing that fact to the general public.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... collapsing
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Huamark police station 'safe' despite floor collapsing

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I was reading the story a few minutes ago (different link). It said the upper floors were unaffected :shock:, so they've all moved upstairs :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The building was built on the 1960's. If you look at the photos of the collapsed floor you can see one of the pilings that support the building. When that 50sqmt floor was installed without support piles it was level with the ground next to that piling.

They've said for a long time that Water World is coming to Bangkok. With climate change and sea levels rising we may actually see Bangkok as a canal city once again in our lifetimes? :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Exactly. An awful lot of something has moved to let that happen. How can they be so sure, so quickly the rest of the structure is in tact? You certainly wouldn't get me working upstairs there.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

PeteC wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:57 pm
They've said for a long time that Water World is coming to Bangkok. With climate change and sea levels rising we may actually see Bangkok as a canal city once again in our lifetimes? :shock:
Hua Mak was always flood prone, when I used to go there back in 1988/9 flood levels were usually waist high.
Back in 2011 when we had the big flood, my house in Bang Khen was under waist high water for 3 months. My wife did use a boat to inspect it, but that flood was caused by poor water management from the North down, and the then Bangkok head honcho blocking off runoff water to the point Sukhumvit was practically dry for the duration, and the people in Pathum Thani suffering for almost 6 months under water.
Don't get me started.
วินเชนท์