10 Unique Superstitions of Thai People

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I haven't watched this yet so please don't stone me if no good. :mrgreen: :cheers:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/10 ... hai-people

Thai culture is full of the supernatural, and here are some superstition that have been passed from generations and the reasons behind it!

Every country has its own unique culture and beliefs that make them different from others. Some ideas are based on tradition, while others are based on religion and superstitions.

As Thailand is an Asian country with the majority of local people being Buddhists, many Thai people are very superstitious and have a lot of unique beliefs.

Thailand is home to various myths that are based on a variety of different phenomena and religious events. From wanting to know about pregnancy scares, color codes, mysterious festivals, or the perfect day to cut your hair, there are myths about some of the most peculiar, random, and humorous topics.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: 10 Unique Superstitions of Thai People

Post by handdrummer »

Interesting that Buddhism and superstition are joined together. Not very Buddhist; which is the antithesis of superstition.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I enjoyed the video. I knew some of the beliefs, many were new to me. Thanks for sharing !
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Interesting that Buddhism and superstition are joined together. Not very Buddhist; which is the antithesis of superstition.
There's plenty of old animist beliefs that the Thai people think are part of Buddhism. The same is the case with Hindu beliefs (i.e. it's not good to eat beef) that remain in Thai Buddhism. The latter is not so surprising as Hinduism is to Buddhism what Judaism is to Christianity.

The kings of old chose Buddhism to become the main religion of the country because it raised the king to divinity but they didn't want to get rid of the old animist beliefs which were very strongly part of people's lives in the old. So Buddhism became a mixture of animism, hinduism and buddhism in Thai and other Dai peoples lives.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:01 pm
There's plenty of old animist beliefs that the Thai people think are part of Buddhism. The same is the case with Hindu beliefs (i.e. it's not good to eat beef) that remain in Thai Buddhism. The latter is not so surprising as Hinduism is to Buddhism what Judaism is to Christianity.

The kings of old chose Buddhism to become the main religion of the country because it raised the king to divinity but they didn't want to get rid of the old animist beliefs which were very strongly part of people's lives in the old. So Buddhism became a mixture of animism, hinduism and buddhism in Thai and other Dai peoples lives.
The further a religion develops from its source the more additions are added, and the better the control of the followers.
Jews don't eat pigs and Christians will eat anything. Orthodox Jews don't put fish and dairy products on the same plate and have separate plates for each type of food. And on and on.
I think there are about 125 rules for Thai Buddhists. Buddha must be turning in his urn.