Who remembers listening to The Archers?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Who remembers listening to The Archers?

Post by HHTel »

The Archers’ actor June Spencer, 103, retires after more than 70 years

She has played the role of the redoubtable matriarch Peggy Woolley in The Archers for more than 70 years.

Spencer featured in the very first episode of the show in 1951. Her final performance was broadcast on Sunday 31 July.
I didn't even know it was still running. I remember my mother listening to it when I was a kid.

Just noticed this story and found it quite remarkable. Retiring at 103 years old. Incredible!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... li=BBoPWjQ
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Who remembers listening to The Archers?

Post by lindosfan1 »

Amazing, like you I remember my mother listening to it back in the 50's, as of the 1st of August 19153 episodes.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm Amazing, like you I remember my mother listening to it back in the 50's, as of the 1st of August 19153 episodes.
I've never listened to it, but I like radio shows. Is it a heavy British accent series non-British would have trouble getting an ear for, or an easy listen? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not sure of the accent today but originally it was billed as 'an everyday story of country folk'

Still broadcast every day except Saturday. So that actress just retired must have done all 19,153 episodes!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I had a quick look of what is on BBC Sounds. It appears each episode is 13-14 minutes long. If it's always been that way that's about 19 x 24 hour days to listen to all 19,153 episodes. That's a marathon challenge! :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:15 pm I've never listened to it, but I like radio shows. Is it a heavy British accent series non-British would have trouble getting an ear for, or an easy listen? :cheers:
My car radio is set for Radio 4 so I hear snippets of The Archers occasionally. In essence it's pretty much the same show as it was when I was a kid.
As far as the accents are concerned, some of the characters have a posh accent (the landowners, by and large, including the retired lady) while some are local yokels (farmworkers, village shops, etc. "Oooo arrrr") who would probably have been tugging their forelocks 60 years ago.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Can't say I've ever listened to it, but my Grandfather was an avid listener for years and years.

Seems they can be a fanatical bunch - there was a bit in the news a while back where listeners were up in arms because the show got one of the character's birthday wrong!! :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Not sure of the accent today but originally it was billed as 'an everyday story of country folk'

Still broadcast every day except Saturday. So that actress just retired must have done all 19,153 episodes!
According to https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-08/the ... 1659946561 she took a break in 50s and 60s. Still amazing though.