Low Fat Milk

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Low Fat Milk

Post by bigston »

Low Fat , No Fat...
i rather like a full fat , or whats its called here " fresh milk " i shudder at the other thought
perhaps a little too much, especially very cold
what low fat, not fat versions actually taste like milk rather than tasting like the container they come in
not into soy, or any other supposedly healthy versions, but if one stands out id be happy to try
Thanks.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Low Fat Milk

Post by HHTel »

You could always buy 'raw milk' - straight from the cow. It's available from the farm.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Everybodies taste is different, but I use Foremost 4% UHT.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It depends what your having with it - for a cup of tea I prefer the Meiji brand white top “0%” milk (it doesn’t taste as though it has <0.3% fat in it like UK skimmed milk), but for breakfast cereal I prefer the dark blue top 4% milk. But I have to agree that milk in Thailand tastes different than in the UK, here I’m happy to have semi-skimmed (1.8% fat) milk in everything.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

As per DB, I prefer semi-skimmed, as we call it in the UK, or low fat here. I find the fat free milk here has no substance and has the consistency of water. I prefer chok-chai brand, but use whatever.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I use Thai rice milk, the blue container has the least sugar. It doesn't take like milk, but I don't like milk so it suits me.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As far as I'm concerned, no such thing as milk in Asia, beit Full Fat, Low Fat or No Fat.... It's the one thing that I loved returning to Wales/the UK!!

Pretty much the only thing I could take whilst living in China/Asia, was Soya Milk.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks all,
agreed,,,, most commercially re constructed milk varies from ok to horrid
but the weeties do taste better with a good splash of the white stuff, and a nice really chilled glass also does well..
its a bit like wine tasting,
Mary Jane, the black label one and Chok Chai taste as good as any. . in the high otcane versions
the search continues..
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So if all the milk here is reconstituted, what happens to the 3,500 tons of milk produced daily from 310,000 dairy cows?
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

just ask a farmer who on sells his raw product to a "big " milk processor, to taste the end product
i have on numerous occasions..
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

bigston wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am just ask a farmer who on sells his raw product to a "big " milk processor, to taste the end product
i have on numerous occasions..
A farmer would have to be the LAST person to ask about anything! There is an old saying which goes something like the following;
"Which month do farmers complain the least?" The answer is: "February, as that month has the least number of days".

Milk production in Thailand is something most people do not even think about. It is a huge industry, considering that for centuries there was virtually no commercial milk production here.

The following is an indepth look at it from a commercial point of view that is up to date:

https://investexportbrasil.dpr.gov.br/a ... angkok.pdf

Market Research in Thailand:
Cheese and dairy products
© Canvassco 2021
Final Report
Date: October 2021
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks for those kind words , im sure my family appreciate it
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:46 am You could always buy 'raw milk' - straight from the cow. It's available from the farm.
I am sure that this has been discussed previously, and I am not going to make any judgments.

I grew up on a dairy farm in Australia, and all of the milk that we ever drank was straight from the cows.
BUT, the industry, like many things in Australia, was heavily controlled, especially regarding hygiene both in the production and then the transport to the factory and onward processing.

I have also been to several dairy farms in Thailand, and TBH I would not risk giving their milk to a cat!
It may be ok from one of the big dairy farms like Chok Chai or such, but then they would probably not sell it too you.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... n_Thailand

Factors Associated with High Bulk Milk Somatic Cell Count in Northern Thailand

In Thailand, raw milk used for human consumption should have somatic cell count in bulk tank (BSCC) less than 500,000 cells/ml. Although most BSCC of bulk milk from dairy cooperatives were less than 500,000 cells/ml, BSCC from smallholder dairy farms in cooperatives were sometimes higher than this limitation.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

grew up on a dairy farm in Australia, and all of the milk that we ever drank was straight from the cows.
BUT, the industry, like many things in Australia, was heavily controlled, especially regarding hygiene both in the production and then the transport to the factory and onward processing.

agree with that 100 %
and in lesser regulated countries im surprised its still milk, well a white liquid.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:51 am So if all the milk here is reconstituted, what happens to the 3,500 tons of milk produced daily from 310,000 dairy cows?
Yes, certainly Chok Chai farms have dairy cows wandering around in fields, I've driven past them many times on the way up to Buriram. Personally I think their milk is very good but I don't buy the low fat, it's OK for me but the cats wont' drink the stuff!