Flashing Orange Light in small square box

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Flashing Orange Light in small square box

Post by centermid7 »

How in the heck you 'ol boys can beat these dead horses to such a degree I will never understand. Amber flashing traffic light = caution. End of. Cheers . . . .
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Not just 'traffic light'. Amber flashing anywhere!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

centermid7 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am How in the heck you 'ol boys can beat these dead horses to such a degree I will never understand. Amber flashing traffic light = caution. End of. Cheers . . . .
When I was at teachers training, one of the first things they installed into us was, 'There are no stupid questions. People ask because they don't know.' There are only stupid answers e.g. How in the heck you 'ol boys can beat these dead horses to such a degree I will never understand.

I think I, as many other Farangs do a pretty good job driving in Thailand, learning Thai ways, understanding the various rules, and different signage. When something is publicised that I don't understand - I can just do my own thing, knowing I am Farang, so whatever I do will be right. The alternative is to ask what it means, and try to increase my knowledge/everybody's safety.

I think I've learnt 2 things from this thread:

1. An upward pointing chevron is warning of an obstruction.

2. The new signage at the East end of Soi 88 is suspect. If it wasn't suspect, I'd have learned a whole new traffic sign.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Although I gave a 'thumbs up' to Centermid's post. I fully agree with BB.

I have run many seminars and training courses including teaching in Thailand. Like you, BB, I always made a point of saying that there's no such thing as a stupid question. It's more stupid not to raise the question in the first place. Those that ask a 'stupid question' usually find that there were many others who were just afraid to ask but still wanted the answer.

I will agree with him on the simplicity of the colours:

RED = Danger
AMBER = Caution/Warning
GREEN = 'No worries'

That should apply regardless of where these lights are displayed whether at sea, on the railroad or on highways. Even in airline pilot communication except when landing they use white and red. On the ground they use red and green.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Even in airline pilot communication except when landing they use white and red. On the ground they use red and green.
You may want to look into that a bit closer, HHTel. They gave up using lights for communication with advent of reliable radios!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I bow to your superior knowledge on that one, Nereus. I have very little knowledge of the airline industry. Just going from what I knew many many years ago from my navy days.
I remember that approach lights had two colour. If the pilot on approach saw red then he was too low so he needed to see just white lights. You know much more than I do.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

AH, you are thinking about "vasi" and "papi" approach indicator lights. They don't flash, rather the angle of veiw in the approach indicates whether or not the aircraft is high or low on the glide path. :cheers:

There is a evidently a more modern one, that I have not seen, that does flash.

https://skybrary.aero/articles/visual-a ... tems-vasis

https://skybrary.aero/articles/pulse-li ... ator-plasi
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 am
centermid7 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am How in the heck you 'ol boys can beat these dead horses to such a degree I will never understand. Amber flashing traffic light = caution. End of. Cheers . . . .
When I was at teachers training, one of the first things they installed into us was, 'There are no stupid questions. People ask because they don't know.' There are only stupid answers e.g. How in the heck you 'ol boys can beat these dead horses to such a degree I will never understand.

I think I, as many other Farangs do a pretty good job driving in Thailand, learning Thai ways, understanding the various rules, and different signage. When something is publicised that I don't understand - I can just do my own thing, knowing I am Farang, so whatever I do will be right. The alternative is to ask what it means, and try to increase my knowledge/everybody's safety.

I think I've learnt 2 things from this thread:

1. An upward pointing chevron is warning of an obstruction.

2. The new signage at the East end of Soi 88 is suspect. If it wasn't suspect, I'd have learned a whole new traffic sign.
A stupid question is one that you know the answer to but ask anyway. Your question is, therefore, not stupid.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just to update on this one.

Since asking my question, I have been studying the orange and red flashing lights (yes, sad git, I know, but it gives me a chance to air my anorak :oops: :laugh: ) for a couple of weeks and have come to a conclusion. The boxes are totally independent of any existing road sign they are alongside.

The boxes simply indicate there is an element of danger in the vicinity, and the colour of the light indicates the severity of that danger - nothing more, nothing less.

I think my mind was trying to overcomplicate things by trying to relate the box to an existing signpost. It isn't that difficult/complicated. Take both signs as separate entities.

Thank you all for trying to help me understand. I can be a bit slow with these things, but hopefully, I've got there in the end.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20