Traveling to Singapore

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Traveling to Singapore

Post by Big Boy »

Somewhere I've fancied going for quite a while, but never got around to it, and then Covid struck. I'm just looking at a few of the places to go, and everything looks spotless, and well designed. This is just a random question, and probably one than many would not even have considered. Is Singapore wheelchair friendly?

I've been looking on various pages, and it looks very promising. Mrs BB is not totally wheelchair bound - she can manage short distances (i.e. I can carry the folded wheelchair) using her stick.

If the answer is positive, then I will probably be back with a lot more questions.

VincentD has already said on the Cannabis thread:
The public transport system is wheelchair friendly so no worries for you there.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Singapore

Post by HHTel »

I've lived in Singapore twice, once for 2 and half years back in the 60's (very different place then) and 8 months in the early 90's. I've visited a couple of times in the years before Covid. I've found it to be very progressive and very very clean. I'd be very surprised if they're not way ahead of other countries in their wheelchair access.

Just had a quick browse. You might find the link below interesting. Basically since 1990 all buildings must be barrier free and wheelchair friendly. The same applies to public transport. The government provides funds to developers to meet these goals. I think you'll find they're far ahead of Thailand.

https://www.msf.gov.sg/policies/Disabil ... nment.aspx
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One further note: If you intend to drive there then forget taking your car into Singapore. You would need to leave it in JB (Jahore Bahru). On our visits, we've stayed in a hotel in JB and took day trips into Singapore. Very much easier.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm Somewhere I've fancied going for quite a while, but never got around to it, and then Covid struck. I'm just looking at a few of the places to go, and everything looks spotless, and well designed. This is just a random question, and probably one than many would not even have considered. Is Singapore wheelchair friendly?

I've been looking on various pages, and it looks very promising. Mrs BB is not totally wheelchair bound - she can manage short distances (i.e. I can carry the folded wheelchair) using her stick.

If the answer is positive, then I will probably be back with a lot more questions.

VincentD has already said on the Cannabis thread:
The public transport system is wheelchair friendly so no worries for you there.
I shall be interested also in this thread because I am interested in going to Singapore again - last time was 2006, and I thought by train from HH would be the nice?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Re: Traveling to Singapore

Post by buksida »

Also interested in this as I'd like another trip to Singapore (or anywhere really). I presume there are only flights out of Bangkok?

Last went there in 1998 when it looked like this (I took that from the botanical gardens) ...

singapore6.jpg
singapore6.jpg (196.88 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I'd suggest flying there and back. If you stay in JB, you will need your passport each time you go through the causeway. Do settle your accommodation beforehand as it can get quite expensive looking for it on your own.
The public transport system is very good, but only operates between 5 am and midnight. The taxis will also add a surcharge of 50% of your fare between midnight and 6 am. Grab is popular, but as they are the owner's own vehicle, are probably not suitable for wheelchairs.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The one thing you will notice is that the locals always seem to be in a rush to get everywhere, and there is a fair amount of walking between the MRT stations, especially at the interchanges. Get a stored value ticket for each person and just top up as needed. The single value tickets are a ripoff.
My mum is 90 and still uses the MRT; used to be a really slow walk but she now does use a wheelchair.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Another thing that annoyed me the last time I was back was the amount of people using electric scooters on the pedestrian walkways. Keep your eye open for these people, Grab delivery riders the main culprits.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

A lot of good and interesting food can be found at the hawker centers, but you will have to queue for ages. The locals also have a bad habit called the 'chope culture' where they will put a tissue pack on a table at the hawker center to 'chope'(reserve) that table..
Do some YouTube 'research' to get an idea of where to go.
BTW, Sentosa is overhyped and overpriced.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Also get your vaccination paperwork in order, you can't dine in at hawkers centers and other places unless you're up to the requirement. I believe two jabs and one booster is enough.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I too have spent a lot of time in Singapore, both working and living there. I first went there around the mid 1970’s to dry dock a ship. The original dockyard was at the base of Mt Faber, which is now overseen by the cable car to Sentosa. At one time the biggest graving dock east of Suez.

https://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/tag/dry-dock/

Also docked a ship in the King George 6th graving dock at Sembawang. (that's not me in the front row)

https://www.roots.gov.sg/places/places- ... ge-VI-Dock

The place has a lot of old colonial history if you are interested. Also spent some time at the old British Army base at Changi, where you can see fine old colonial buildings.

I cannot agree with Vincent about Sentosa. If you had any family in WW2, then it is a must visit place.

But modern Singapore is not the same place it was in my times! Ultra-modern glitzy shopping centres, surrounded my lush green gardens. A place where everything works and is maintained.
A vast user friendly MRT train system that runs very nearly over the whole island. Senior people are respected and young ones will trip over themselves to give up their seat if crowded.

It is NOT a cheap place, either to live there, or just visit. English is spoken in most places, including taxi drivers! All taxis have meters, and credit card payments are normal.

It is hot and humid, pretty much all of the time, so carry a bottle or two of water.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is all great information guys, I'm taking it all in. We're fully vaccinated (4 shots), although Mrs BB's passport has expired. Until that is renewed, I can't do her International Certificate.

I'll certainly be looking to take in the Naval Dockyard area (dockyards aren't usually wheelchair friendly), and it's good news the cable car goes that way. Many of my ex-colleagues worked there, and it was one of the potential postings that attracted me when joining the Civil Service. Alas, I joined, and they decided to close the place.

I'm still in early planning stages yet, and that in itself will be quite a challenge. I'll probably need to hire a wheelchair, but my wife's oxygen supply is my biggest headache is going to be a major challenge. A lot of stuff going through my mind at the moment, but I'm enjoying it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think you may be able to knock the International Certificate off your list. Input from other travelers valuable, but I think what's on your SAT-MOPH app record on your phone would be adequate, or even better perhaps travel with the hard copy certificates in your briefcase.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm not sure what the 'Naval Dockyard' would look like now as it's a commercial dockyard now. I was based at HMS Terror from '64 to '66 when that whole area from Sembawang to the causeway was a RN base.

Someone mentioned Changi. When I was stationed in Singapore it was still referred to as Changi Prison although the army was based there. It was infamous as a POW camp during the Japanese occupation.

As Nereus says, it is very expensive so be aware of that.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

and it's good news the cable car goes that way.
No,no, the cable car to Sentosa overflys what was the original Keppel Dockyards. I think that the graving dock may have been filled in.
All the ship repairs places that were there have been moved to Jurong, on the west end of the island.

Not sure about the old Sembawang area anymore. It was already a privare dock when I was there, albeit the looney hospital was still operating alongside of it! What used to be the Admirals House is also privately owned, either that or leassed out. I actually stayed there on one occasion.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!