Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Re: Renewing a UK passport in Thailand

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm Is Anna Visa Services on Soi 94 still a good option for renewing a UK passport? My son's expires soon and I don't fancy two trips to Bangkok.
In answer of my own question I emailed them and yes, they still offer the service which costs 5,000 baht (less than two trips to Bangkok!)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Just got my new UK passport (2 weeks and 1 day from leaving the paperwork at VFS in BKK !) so went into HH immigration to get my visa transferred over.

First words were '500 baht'. I said I thought it was free and she said no. 500 baht service charge. I was going to argue but said ok. She then said I need to photocopy ALL the pages in the passport. According to the govt sites I have looked at that is not needed. I had copies of passport page, last visa, first visa and last entry. Same as when I did my last visa transfer 10 years ago. I walked out. Has the situation changed ? Or is it a HH thing ?

Is there any problem with going to cha am immigration to get the visa stamps switched over ?

Official situation

https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/002_005

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... bNlyB0uVnC
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Btw, picked up the passport from the new building. A lot less busy than trendy (in fact not a lot open in the new building).

Bit of a pain to get to, but the airport link getting off at makkasan works well. Then 1 stop on mrt and a free courtesy golf buggy from fortune towers
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

fft100 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:38 pm Just got my new UK passport (2 weeks and 1 day from leaving the paperwork at VFS in BKK !) so went into HH immigration to get my visa transferred over.

First words were '500 baht'. I said I thought it was free and she said no. 500 baht service charge. I was going to argue but said ok. She then said I need to photocopy ALL the pages in the passport. According to the govt sites I have looked at that is not needed. I had copies of passport page, last visa, first visa and last entry. Same as when I did my last visa transfer 10 years ago. I walked out. Has the situation changed ? Or is it a HH thing ?

Is there any problem with going to cha am immigration to get the visa stamps switched over ?

Official situation

As far as I’m aware, Cha Am Imm is for people living in Petchaburi province and Hua Hin is for PKK residents.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

fft100 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:38 pm Just got my new UK passport (2 weeks and 1 day from leaving the paperwork at VFS in BKK !) so went into HH immigration to get my visa transferred over.

Official situation

If you live in Hua Hin you won't be able to get it done in Cha Am
But it's not a HH thing, 500 baht at Cha Am also
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Ok. How about needing a copy of the whole passport - or was that just the girl behind the desk being awkward ?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

fft100 wrote:Ok. How about needing a copy of the whole passport - or was that just the girl behind the desk being awkward ?
Anna did all this for me. Sorry I can't recall if it was 200, 500 or free!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

TIT - it all depends on who is sitting the other side of the desk on the day you visit. I always go to the lady in the photocopy office first - she will give you exactly what you need, and the woodentops upstairs rarely argue with what she prepares.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

fft100 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm Ok. How about needing a copy of the whole passport - or was that just the girl behind the desk being awkward ?
If you go back again (which you’ll have to at some stage), hopefully you can see another IO and they might be less demanding!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Heads up on this, I've taken the agent route, using Anna on 94, as I don't want to go to Bangkok twice. She said they're very, very fussy about the photos now and recommended getting them done in a proper camera shop (third floor of market village). She said ours would likely get rejected because they were not "crystal clear", so my son will get some new ones today and then find an upstanding British citizen to countersign.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

I did get mine done at the 3rd floor in MV a few weeks ago and they were rejected by HMPO in bkk. They saw some faint shadows around the collar. Luckily there was a shop on the ground floor who did some immediately and then I went back upstairs and all was ok.

That was the trendy building. When I was in the new HMPO office this week to collect my passport, I didn't see anywhere in that building to get photos done, so you would probably have to go back to fortune town to get some more done which would take time.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Heads up on this, I've taken the agent route, using Anna on 94, as I don't want to go to Bangkok twice. She said they're very, very fussy about the photos now and recommended getting them done in a proper camera shop (third floor of market village). She said ours would likely get rejected because they were not "crystal clear", so my son will get some new ones today and then find an upstanding British citizen to countersign.
Anna was doing some herself in her shop. Maybe she stopped now?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

No photos in house, she told us to get them done at the camera shop on the third floor of MV. These were accepted. We also needed more paperwork than before, so I guess they're cracking down on overseas renewals (or she wants to cover all bases). Glad my sons will have to do it on their own from now on!
fellwalker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by fellwalker »

I am to visit, VFS (Thailand) Ltd.
The Shoppes at Belle Grand Rama 9,
131/1,141/1, Unit BS003 – BS003/1,
1st Floor, Rama 9,
Huay Kwang,
Bangkok

To get a new UK passport. Any ideas as to car parking.
Maybe park in near by multi story and get a taxi.
Or better on site.

Regards