Dumped Dogs

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Dumped Dogs

Post by bigston »

About a month or so ago some kind soul dumped 5 very small puppies into a pineapple field just up the road
there are now only 3 that are growing rapidly and enjoying the facilities of our house outside area and garden
in an ideal world i would like them gone.
id be most happy for any advice..
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Dumped Dogs

Post by HHTel »

You could do what many locals do. Drop them at a temple where they'll be fed and cause a nuisance to others!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you see it) your kindness to the dogs will result in them not going anywhere and you will become the de facto owner of said soi dogs. I have had many dogs come to my household this way and had many happy times. Now long gone, no more animals at my age, as I don't need to be responsible for another life.
Your only hope is to find a couple of kind souls who will take the dogs in. Other than that, you're probably stuck with them. Back in the day, Dawn used to run an animal shelter, but she's long gone back to blighty..
Not sure if the government animal place still exists?
วินเชนท์
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

The " kind soul " tongue in cheek, was in reality just an a hole dumping his problem elsewhere
i do not wish to be stuck with them, and so far encouragement to leave the premises has had mixed results
maybe a drop off at the temple with a donation ??
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

bigston wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 pm The " kind soul " tongue in cheek, was in reality just an a hole dumping his problem elsewhere
i do not wish to be stuck with them, and so far encouragement to leave the premises has had mixed results
That's probably the best solution. The temple at the end of Smorprong has a large menagerie of dogs.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

bigston wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 pm The " kind soul " tongue in cheek, was in reality just an a hole dumping his problem elsewhere
If they are young, the adult dogs that already live at the temple will probably accept them and allow them to stay and get a few bites from the usually meager food bowls. Slightly older dogs will most likely be chased off the premises almost immediately and forced to wander down the road in hope of finding a niche somewhere else that they can then call their own and defend from future newcomers. If they are successful they will find a place to live, often the next place they encounter will already have defenders who will usher them farther down the road, and on and on. If unsuccessful finding a niche, they will slowly starve, often dying of starvation, disease or a combination of the two in fairly short order. I’ve seen it happen many times.

The “King’s Dog Shelter” is slightly better in that the dogs are given food and water, and at least initial vaccinations upon arrival, but it’s a truly miserable place. Some of the healthy ones are kept in semi-private cages where their blood is routinely harvested for use by veterinary hospitals in treating other dogs. The vast majority are put into the “General Area”, which is a large fenced area (maybe 10 Rai ?) with several thousand other dogs that are packed up in mini-packs, 10-15 per pack, each pack defending their own area. New arrivals come sedated (darted), are put into a small airlock like fenced recovery enclosure joined to the General Area, then once they awaken, the inner door is opened and the confused animal staggers out into the bedlam that is the General population where they run out into the population and try to find a niche. I’ve wandered through the General Area several times looking for “lost” dogs, the ones that had close human owners will come up to you for affection and follow closely as you wander around inside. There are a LOT of these ones, obviously had decent homes with humans at one time and got picked up in a sweep when someone called the dog catcher. I've come across friendly dogs in there that due to not having adequate exercise running, had toenails 3-4 inches long to the point where it was becoming crippling for the animal. I took note of their niche area, returned later with toenail clippers, found the dogs exactly where I left them and trimmed their nails. Paid staff members work in the General Area, collecting feces into huge sacks and removing dead bodies, often before they have severely bloated but not always. I also witnessed a dog with a leg obviously broken, swinging unnaturally in the wind, like many, if not most, it was too scared to allow a human to approach. The King’s Dog Shelter is better than starving to death but I sure wouldn’t want to live in that hellhole.

For your dogs, you should consider contacting Rescue Paws, https://rescuepawsthailand.org/
They can provide free sterilization and vaccination and possibly re-homing for your dogs. Sterilization / vaccination would be a great act of kindness that you could provide to these animals, regardless of where they ultimately go. Rescue paws runs a free clinic (donations accepted but not requested) out of the temple at Khao Tao.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The KIngs' Shelter sounds like US prisons.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The Kings sheletr was built opposite Dawns place and they shut her place down. :shock:
:cheers: :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think you have a chicken and egg problem there :D

Dawn's dogs were squatters at the King's shelter before her place was ready. My son and I were running the gauntlet of the King's shelter dogs whilst carrying Dawns dogs through the compound to their new home. We were very grateful when SteveG turned up with his truck to transport most of the dogs.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lindosfan1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:19 pm The Kings sheletr was built opposite Dawns place and they shut her place down. :shock:
:cheers: :cheers:
I thought it fell down in a storm! I haave pics somewhere of the aftermath of that.
Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

:cheers: I helped at Dawns place, went on holiday for 2 weeks came back they had shut Dawns place her dogs were transported elsewhere. It was still standing when I got back. That was the info I had from Dawn. That was 2008.
:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I remember when Dawn moved to her place. I was helping there as well and met SteveG for the first (and I guess the only) time. Can't recall who else was there.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:12 am I remember when Dawn moved to her place. I was helping there as well and met SteveG for the first (and I guess the only) time. Can't recall who else was there.
What year would that have been.
:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

lindosfan1 wrote:
My guess is 2006 but SteveG might remember better.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:21 am lindosfan1 wrote:
My guess is 2006 but SteveG might remember better.
I don't remember either exactly but it was certainly around about that time. I do remember moving dozens of dogs via a cage on the back of my truck!