Hua Hin Traffic Gridlock

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: Hua Hin Traffic Gridlock

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:45 am The vast majority of the Klong Road heading away from HH is now dual carriageway - the last remaining stretch before you reach the bypass is getting the final strip of tarmac as I type this - probably finished this week and will provide a reasonable amount of capacity on the north of HH - of course some of the biggest issues are in the central area.
Indeed. The klong road was empty on Sunday, so either the Bangkokians are unaware of this route out, or they like driving through the shuttered-up center of town. The epicenter of traffic hell is a couple of kilometers approaching the two sets of lights (north and south), and between them, on Petchkasem in the middle of HH. We usually know to avoid that part of town at the weekend, but the mrs was driving!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
caller wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:38 am Does anyone know what they are doing along the Klong Road? They appear to be 'boxing' in at least one of the canals for some considerable length and I could only assume the reason for covering it, is to create another traffic lane? But some sort of works is continuing from the HH end to soi2 at least, as I drove that route yesterday. It's a huge undertaking and nearer soi2 end, there are numerous drainage pipes left by the canal. As this road eventually merges with the bypass heading south up by Cha am, they could be planning an upgrade along it's whole length to take more traffic.
The vast majority of the Klong Road heading away from HH is now dual carriageway - the last remaining stretch before you reach the bypass is getting the final strip of tarmac as I type this - probably finished this week and will provide a reasonable amount of capacity on the north of HH - of course some of the biggest issues are in the central area.
Khlong Road before meets bypass??

Do you mean Pala U Rd? That certainly is dual carriageway

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Hua Hin Traffic Gridlock

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
caller wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:38 am Does anyone know what they are doing along the Klong Road? They appear to be 'boxing' in at least one of the canals for some considerable length and I could only assume the reason for covering it, is to create another traffic lane? But some sort of works is continuing from the HH end to soi2 at least, as I drove that route yesterday. It's a huge undertaking and nearer soi2 end, there are numerous drainage pipes left by the canal. As this road eventually merges with the bypass heading south up by Cha am, they could be planning an upgrade along it's whole length to take more traffic.
The vast majority of the Klong Road heading away from HH is now dual carriageway - the last remaining stretch before you reach the bypass is getting the final strip of tarmac as I type this - probably finished this week and will provide a reasonable amount of capacity on the north of HH - of course some of the biggest issues are in the central area.

No, where it meets what I believe is called the bypass - coming from Bangkok you keep left on Petchkasem towards Cha Am and then HH - keep right and it heads towards Pranburi and Prachuab Kiri Khan, with the Klong road about 2 kms on your left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

buksida wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:57 am
The epicenter of traffic hell is a couple of kilometers approaching the two sets of lights (north and south), and between them, on Petchkasem in the middle of HH. We usually know to avoid that part of town at the weekend, but the mrs was driving!
The two sets of lights need synchronising if possible?
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:18 pm
thecolonel wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: The vast majority of the Klong Road heading away from HH is now dual carriageway - the last remaining stretch before you reach the bypass is getting the final strip of tarmac as I type this - probably finished this week and will provide a reasonable amount of capacity on the north of HH - of course some of the biggest issues are in the central area.

No, where it meets what I believe is called the bypass - coming from Bangkok you keep left on Petchkasem towards Cha Am and then HH - keep right and it heads towards Pranburi and Prachuab Kiri Khan, with the Klong road about 2 kms on your left.

Using the Klong Road (Cholpratan Road) going North you can bypass Cha Am.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:45 am
Yes, I have driven the whole length a few times when heading back from Bangkok, as it takes me to where I want to go in town before heading home. But as I explained earlier and Terry added to, there are new works talking place along the road. The end nearest Hua Hin is often effectively reduced to one lane, so I was wondering whether new lanes will be added to restore it as a dual carriageway?

A bridge at the by-pass end would help, as per at the end of soi112, to take traffic over the dual carriageway by-pass, to head north.
Talk is cheap
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: The vast majority of the Klong Road heading away from HH is now dual carriageway - the last remaining stretch before you reach the bypass is getting the final strip of tarmac as I type this - probably finished this week and will provide a reasonable amount of capacity on the north of HH - of course some of the biggest issues are in the central area.

Ok noted.

Actually on that road I've never been further north than the intersection with the 1010 at Huai Sai Tai Temple as I turn left left there to go to Springfield and Lake View Golf.

That said I'm not sure how relevant that is to the traffic build up on Phetkasem Road from say Bluport up to the lights at Soi 70. Thats the real issue.

And the new road that BB mentions after my earlier post( back of Market Village And Bluport) looks like a minor relief road to me for just local traffic. I really don't see that putting a dent in rush hour traffic on Phetkasem.

It would also help if they moved that school (Vittayalai). Unless the new road serves the school from the rear?

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My assumption was the tunnelling of the canal was to extend the cycle track that they started there years ago. Mind you, the diameter of the tunnel seems insufficient to take the same volume of water as the canal, so I see it backing up/flooding in wet season.

If you look at the drone videos, you will see the land is being cleared for the new road nearer the railway track.

IMHO these 2 projects are not linked.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

On a lighter note, while all the other places are being knocked down on the road next to the railway the chicken place that is the biggest example of inconsiderate Bsngkokian parking is still open. Does anyone perchance know when it will shut and perhaps keep the Bangkok drivers on Petchkasem and away from the locals sub system.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It would also help if they moved that school (Vittayalai).
As far as I'm aware (and it's a common mistake). 'Vitalayai' is not the name of a school but the category of the school. Hua Hin School is 'vitalayai'. Salesian is 'Vitalayai' as are many others.
AFIK, it identifies as 'college' in it's simplistic form.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
As far as I'm aware (and it's a common mistake). 'Vitalayai' is not the name of a school but the category of the school. Hua Hin School is 'vitalayai'. Salesian is 'Vitalayai' as are many others.
Apart from the spelling (and therefore pronunciation) that's correct. วิทยาลัย (withayalai or vitayalai if you prefer) means college. Image
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:
Noted. Was simply referring to what Google maps said.

Anyway, the larger important points are

- the school just North of Market Village and

- whether parents can/must now do pick up from the rear and not from Phetkasem?

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've found that even on the busiest days, very few people use the road that goes over Hin Lek Fai mountain so you can avoid the centre of town from the south by going up 94 to 88, over the top and down the other side to the canal road.
To be honest I don't find the traffic in Hua Hin to be that much of a problem, when I'm there I drive down town virtually every day for a walk on the beach and it never takes that long. I've lived in cities where a drive to the centre and back could be three hours each way.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Phetkasem to be a toll road in future??

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:15 pm Phetkasem to be a toll road in future??

Or a low emissions zone in the centre like a lot of cities around the world are introducing.