Is Netflix Dying?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Is Netflix Dying?

Post by Lost »

How much longer can it survive in its current state. Having lost over 70% of its value over the last 6 months, and with competition greater than it's ever been for the streaming service, it doesn't look promising.

Screenshot_20220430_180901.jpg
(153.13 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

Culture wars continue to be a problem within Netflix, with customers complaining its ever prominent 'inclusive' content is too forced and 'too woke'.

But the they/them staff at Netflix oft protest that their content isn't woke enough. Recently going for the CEO after he refused to take down Dave Chappelle's stand up.

Netflix posted a 200,000 subscriber loss in its first quarter earnings. Its first loss of subscribers since 2011. They estimate they lose $6 billion a year in password sharing, so they're looking to crack down on that. Another idea they're throwing about is introducing ads to Netflix. It's a bye-bye from me if they do that (I don't pay for it but wouldn't watch it for free if it had ads).

I predict a rise in subscriber numbers for the Stranger Things release but, apart from that, they're in a bit of trouble I think.

Could Netflix be the Blockbuster Video of streaming?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Re: Is Netflix Dying?

Post by pharvey »

Well, if you don't pay for it, surely you're part of the cause of why they are looking at adds and/or additional costs aren't you?!

Personally, I enjoy the convenience and quality of Netflix and don't plan to leave. I have shared my password with my dear old Mam in the past, but then again do pay for HD quality and "Multiple Screens". Should things change, I'll simply go back to the basic option.

Whilst there's a great deal more competition now with the likes of Amazon and Disney+, they all offer something different and I believe Netflix will certainly go on successfully.

Reported losses of customers are not down to quality or competition IMHO, but a few other major factors: -

1. A huge increase in subscriptions due to "Lockdown(s)", with many now cancelling those subscriptions with a relaxation of the rules and a return to work rather than working from home.
2. A significant increase in the cost of living forcing many into prioritising the important things in life. Food & energy rate somewhat higher for many.
3. Also remember the political side of things. Netflix pulled out of Russia (& Belarus I believe) due to the war in Ukraine - how many users were lost there?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:36 am
Reported losses of customers are not down to quality or competition IMHO, but a few other major factors: -

1. A huge increase in subscriptions due to "Lockdown(s)", with many now cancelling those subscriptions with a relaxation of the rules and a return to work rather than working from home.
2. A significant increase in the cost of living forcing many into prioritising the important things in life. Food & energy rate somewhat higher for many.
3. Also remember the political side of things. Netflix pulled out of Russia (& Belarus I believe) due to the war in Ukraine - how many users were lost there?
Yup, those are the reasons Netflix gave. Almost word for word actually. Not a copy paste/job that, is it? :laugh:
Well, if you don't pay for it, surely you're part of the cause of why they are looking at adds and/or additional costs aren't you?!
Thing is, when they say 'lost revenue' for people like me, it's simply not true. I'd never have paid for it in the first place, so, I'm not lost revenue. If I didn't have other passwords to use, I simply wouldn't watch it. I'm guessing most 'lost revenue' people are similar.

I made my large contribution to the movie industry between 1998 and 2012. Hundreds upon hundreds of VHS and DVDs. Aside from going to the cinema, I will contribute no further. I've done my bit. :thumb:

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:06 amYup, those are the reasons Netflix gave. Almost word for word actually. Not a copy paste/job that, is it? :laugh:
Just keeping up with the news for once..... :neener: :wink:
Lost wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:06 am
Thing is, when they say 'lost revenue' for people like me, it's simply not true. I'd never have paid for it in the first place, so, I'm not lost revenue. If I didn't have other passwords to use, I simply wouldn't watch it. I'm guessing most 'lost revenue' people are similar.

I made my large contribution to the movie industry between 1998 and 2012. Hundreds upon hundreds of VHS and DVDs. Aside from going to the cinema, I will contribute no further. I've done my bit. :thumb:

:cheers:
Well, I guess the phrase should be "Potential loss of income" - as ultimately you should be paying if using the service.

Admittedly, I'm being somewhat hypocritical as I use the likes of YTS and Pirate Bay to download movies and shows.....
buksida

Post by buksida »

It'll die even quicker after this ...

The End of Netflix Password Sharing Is Nigh
The end of password sharing is coming to Netflix soon -- and it will be a challenge for both viewers and the streaming giant.

The company has put off this moment for years. Researchers inside Netflix Inc. identified password sharing as a major problem eating into subscriptions in 2019, people familiar with the situation say, but the company was worried about how to address it without alienating consumers. Then Covid lockdowns hit, bringing a wave of new subscribers, and the effort to scrutinize sharing petered out.

Netflix didn't pursue a plan to crack down widely on the practice until this year, as subscriber losses mounted. At a company gathering outside Los Angeles early this year, Co-Chief Executive Reed Hastings told senior executives that the pandemic boom had masked the extent of the password-sharing issue, and that they had waited too long to deal with it, according to people who were at the meeting.

More than 100 million Netflix viewers now watch the service using passwords they borrow -- often from family members or friends, the company says. Netflix has said that it will put an end to that arrangement starting in 2023, asking people who share accounts to pay to do so. The company expects to begin rolling out the change in the U.S. early in the year.

Netflix's crackdown risks squandering years of goodwill the company has built up over the years and angering consumers, who have a crowd of other streaming services to choose from.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/24 ... ng-is-nigh
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well in all fairness, sharing a password for a "single screen" should be (and now is) illegal. I did pay for "Multiple Screens" (x 3 was the deal), and shared the password with my mother - as I understand it however 2 seperate IP addresses can't share the same code.
I've therefore changed my account, but still happy to pay for the privilege of watching Netflix - I'm very fortunate to have access to Disney Plus through my O2 account and also access Amazon Prime (we order a great deal through Amazon, so the free postage with Prime is well worth it).

Looks like rugby is going to the likes of Amazon and Netflix (for some documentaries), so happy to stick with them - will be giving BT Sports the boot when the contract ends....

"Netflix Dying"? Nah - don't count on it soon. Plenty of competition, but they're still there.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I must admit, I do use my mate's password to access it on his account. :oops:

But to be honest, I rarely use Netflix and certainly wouldn't pay for it so won't miss it. The movies are all 5-6 years old at least, but there are a few docos and the odd original that are worth watching. I can download anything I really want to watch when they block it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:26 pm I must admit, I do use my mate's password to access it on his account. :oops:

But to be honest, I rarely use Netflix and certainly wouldn't pay for it so won't miss it. The movies are all 5-6 years old at least, but there are a few docos and the odd original that are worth watching. I can download anything I really want to watch when they block it.
The backtracking is insane on this one... :laugh:

buksida

Post by buksida »

I presume this applies to Netflix in Thailand also.

Netflix’s password-sharing crackdown is here
Netflix is about to kick your best friend off your account — unless you pay for them to share your account, that is. On Tuesday, Netflix revealed the details of how its crackdown on password sharing will affect viewers in the US and how much it will cost to keep extra people on your account.

If you have the Netflix Standard plan that costs $15.49 per month, then you have the option of adding one extra member who can use the service outside your household for $7.99 extra each month. Anyone who pays for the Netflix Premium package with 4K streaming has the option of adding up to two extra members, but each one will still cost another $7.99. The US isn’t the only country where the new rules are rolling out either, as Netflix in the UK will charge subscribers £4.99 each month for extra member slots.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... per-month/

It does ...
348907491_924929465441225_2947059972141245524_n.jpg
348907491_924929465441225_2947059972141245524_n.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock: I signed up to Netflix 2 weeks ago for my DIL mainly, but its there if I want to use it as well. Mind you, I have to admit I've been called a tight git, but I'm only paying 369฿ for use on any 2 devices at any time. I must say, I was surprised at how cheap it was, but that isn't reflected by the above post.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:26 pm I must admit, I do use my mate's password to access it on his account. :oops:

I'm not sure why you would say that "the movies are all 5-6 years old at least" - unless you haven't actually looked recently, that is.

Netflix has any number of 2023 and 2022 movies, (also 2021, 2020 and so on). Not least their own Netflix original movies that they release on their platform as soon as they're made.

I just did a quick check and found at least half a dozen 2023 movies and a dozen or more 2022 movies within about 2 minutes.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, you're right, there are some newer movies on it now. Still don't think its worth paying for though (especially the Thai version which has a lot of obscure Korean stuff). Maybe I've just gotten used to downloading anything I want to watch.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My DIL wanted it for the Thai soaps, Thai movies and the Western movies dubbed in Thai.

She also enjoys watching the Western series as they become available (agree, they can be downloaded), but for a very little cost (could have been 189฿/month), even this tight git wasn't going to say no. She's now got everything at her fingertips for next to nothing,
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Prime Video has sensed an opportunity. Their latest post. :mrgreen:

20230525_200034.jpg
(66.85 KiB) Downloaded 370 times