An Eye Test Experience

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

An Eye Test Experience

Post by Big Boy »

When I moved to Thailand 10 years ago, Dr Pairat tested my eyes, confirmed I had a problem, but said there was no point in getting corrective glasses until I’d had cataract operations on both eyes.

Last year I had my first cataract op, and my right eye is very good now, but my left is starting to deteriorate badly. I had a hospital appointment 2 weeks ago, and the doc forecast 2 more years before the left eye is bad enough to operate on.

I decided to push the boat out and get a new set of specs for computer work. I knew Dr Pairat wouldn’t do it, so I asked for recommendations. Whilst I won’t name the company for deformation purposes, I will just say the recommendation that kept cropping up was one of the ‘Top’ chain of national shops selling specs in Thailand.

I walked in yesterday, accompanied by Mrs BB (she was paying as a slightly early birthday present :D
). I told the girl what I needed, and she sat me down for what must surely have been the worst eye test ever (I’ve been having eye tests regularly for over 50 years, so I know what to expect):

• She sat me at a machine, and I watched a small house go in and out of focus a couple of times. She said, OK, that’s the computer stuff done.
• She put a pair of optician’s specs on me, but insisted I keep both eyes open. Strange, but I went along with it.
• Finally, I was given a card, which I had to hold at about computer length and read with both eyes open at the same time. I kept protesting that I still couldn’t see with my left eye.

Despite many protests that my left eye was the problem, and she wasn’t addressing the problem, she was insisting testing with both eyes open was the way to go. Complaining that my right eye was compensating for the left was of no interest. At the end of the test, I had to agree, I could read the card held at computer working distance with no problem. I was not happy.

One of the reasons I decided to have new specs is this particular company had some incredible offers on frames + lens starting at 590฿. I wasn’t looking for a fashion accessory, just something that would fill the gap until my 2nd eye was fixed in 2024. There were 3 perfect sets of frames for just 1290฿. Perfect, I thought.

I wasn’t convinced with the test, but what was there to lose at 1290฿? That is when the fight started……. I’d heard it said many times that these shops were not opticians, but frames salespersons. All 3 frames that I liked were apparently useless, and would not last more than 10 days. FFS, here we go. If your product is so useless, why are you selling it? I am thinking – trained by HomePro. You don’t want that, you want this. You can’t think for yourself.

I’m ready to walk out of the shop now. The girl is showing Mrs BB all manner of designer frames that I had absolutely no interest in. Of course, Mrs BB did not want to buy something that would not last more than 10 days. She had been brainwashed. What Mrs BB hadn’t twigged was the offer also included free lifetime after sales support. So, what could go wrong with the cheaper frames?

Then the bit that took me OTT. You need the glasses for computer work. They will be useless unless you have them tinted with whatever. No, I have tried the tinting many times, I don’t like it. It makes the glass go very smeary. I’ve been wearing glasses with computers for 40 years (probably twice as many years as this girl has existed on planet Earth) – I know what suits me. She kept on and on trying to sell tinting that I didn’t want. I walked out before I really exploded, leaving Mrs BB sat in her wheelchair doing the deal.

I went back in when I’d calmed down. Mrs BB was over the moon with the ‘discount’ she had received on designer frames. I had no idea if it included tinting (thankfully, it didn’t). It was a gift, so I tried to put on a grateful face, but deep down I was not happy.

6 hours later, we received a phone call. My new specs were ready.

We went straight down to collect them. I was given the same card to hold at computer distance to try them. Yes, they seemed OK. It was a different staff this time, and they seemed to be much better/helpful.

I got home and tried them on the laptop. They didn’t feel good, and when I closed my right eye, all that I could see was a blur. Closing the left eye was not so good either. I messed about with the position of the laptop, and eventually, it was better, but not good. Certainly, no better than the specs they were replacing. I’m still not happy that my eye test was done with both eyes open. I persevered all evening with the new specs.

I tried again this morning, still not good. I decided I would wait until the afternoon, and return when the 2nd shift was on to complain.

We went back to the shop about 3pm – I was ready to argue. I explained the problem, and I was given another test – but a much better test this time. They concentrated on my left eye, and the prescription was vastly different to yesterday. No questions, they just got on with it – 2 girls testing me to make sure they got it right. Such a different attitude. I am now awaiting the phone call to collect again, which probably won’t come until tomorrow.

I am fairly confident this set of specs will help me bridge the 2 years until my next cataract op. I will confirm when I receive them.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: An Eye Test Experience

Post by Dannie Boy »

Are the second lenses “free of charge”, i.e. a replacement for what you paid for yesterday?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'm surprised Dr Pairat wouldn't do an eye test for a glasses prescription. Do you know the reason for that?

Also Dr Arunee has a clinic opposite HHH and I would expect that she would do a prescription for glasses. Was it not she who you consulted in HHH (I'm probably mistaken about that)? She also sells frames but you can take the prescription to anywhere you like. This is also true for Dr Pairat.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

He just said it wouldn't be worth doing until I had my cataracts doing. Maybe they didn't deteriorate as fast as he expected. My treatment switched to HHH, mainly because everything else was looked after by them.

Dr Pairat's tests were very thorough.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:He just said it wouldn't be worth doing until I had my cataracts doing. Maybe they didn't deteriorate as fast as he expected. My treatment switched to HHH, mainly because everything else was looked after by them.

Dr Pairat's tests were very thorough.
Thorough. Yes, I know. Image
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I used the same "Top" chain for about ten years, the one near Burger King in the centre of town and was always happy with what I got for the price but I was disappointed to see that it's gone like many other shops around town.
Glasses in Thailand still seem to be good value, during Covid I couldn't get back and had to get a pair in Luxembourg and they cost me 750 euros!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I just had my 2nd cataract op on 31st March. Delayed from the originsal planned date of August 2020, firstly, as I was already in hospital for something else, then because of covid. Dr Pairat gave me the same prognosis, not worth getting any further specs as the eye would continue to get worse until the op. He was right. Ironically, I managed okay without, but since the op I definitely need reading glasses asap, which I knew would be the case - one eye is long sighted, the other short. I saw him for the 4-week check up the other day and all is 'very good'. But I have to wait until I go back to see him next month for an eye test, simply to allow for the eye to settle down.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had my cataracts done with Dr. Pairat at least 7 years ago, maybe more. (Time flies). He gave me a 'reading eye' too. Here I am after all those years. Never needed glasses in natural light and although I can see in artificial light it's definitely not as good.

I can still read the smallest of print in good daylight. It was certainly the best Christmas present I've ever had. (My daughter paid).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My first 2 visits to Dr. Pairat went well. He confirmed that I had cataracts (about 45% ripe) and needed new lenses. I got them made there and they were fine. I also have glaucoma and he prescribed and sold me drops for that. By the time it came time for my next check-up my right eye wasn't seeing as well as my left and I told him about it and asked if I needed a new prescription for my right eye. He said no and ignored all the symptoms that I told him about. The next week I went to Time Optics, had a thorough exam, on more modern equipment than Pairat has, and the Optometrist, not a saleswoman, showed me the difference between what I was seeing and what I would be able to see with a new lense. I ordered new lenses and frames and have seen well ever since. The people at Time Optics were very pleasant and helpful and there's a young man working there who speaks excellent English.

my wife, who wears a prism lens, also had hers replaced and because it's an unusual prescription, the Optician suggested that she have the prescription checked by Dr. Arunee before having the lenses made. My wife did that and Dr. Arunee changed the prescription just a bit.

Service doesn't get any better than that. Also, I've now had 3 pairs of glasses made by Time Optic and they've all been perfect. I did try that other company and they couldn't get the prescription right and finally refunded my money.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm surprised to read a negative report for Dr. Pairat. I'm not sure about today but when I started seeing him, he was the only Ophthalmologist in HH (as opposed to an Optometrist and Optician).
He's always served me well and there are dozens of positive reports. I suppose with any profession there will be occasions when things could have been better. As an ophthalmologist he's certainly qualified at the top of his field.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, he certainly knew his stuff. I stopped going because of Covid, and when HHH asked me to resume eye exams, it just made sense to go to them as they look after the rest of me. I never had any complaints.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can understand that, BB. Being a regular customer of HHH, I'm surprised you don't have a loyalty card.... lol!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dr. Pairat may have been having a bad day. Unfortunately, his bad day became my bad day.
I may see Dr. Arunee next time.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Not to hijack the subject but my Thai insurance company wants proof that I do not have cataract and prostate cancer, so they can either include or exclude coverage for it in the insurance so I allow myself to ask where is it recommended to get it checked out.
Thank you
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm now wearing the upgraded new specs. Yes, they are better, but still not perfect. They will do a job for a couple of years.

Lesson learned though. I've seen plenty of warnings on here about the quality of eye testing at shops where the main focus is selling frames. I should have listened :oops: There is only one person to blame.

Points 48; Position 20