Hua Hin Chess Tournament

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Hua Hin Chess Tournament

Post by Big Boy »

4th to 8th May at Market Village.
chess.jpg
(272.16 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: Chess Tournament

Post by Jack_Batty »

My dad taught me to play when I was eight. I then won the school chess tournament. Haven’t played since, but I feel like maybe I’m some kind of prodigy. I should enter this tournament and really find out how much I really do suck at chess.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, I'm in a very similar position, and have a similar background - was even seeded. I haven't played since 1982. I'm not even sure how to set the board up now (King & Queen) :oops:, so there's no danger I'll be entering :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Will they be checking vaccination status?
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I just registered for the Rapid Tournament on 7. and 8. May. There is an ATK Test provided by the organizer, which is included in the entrance fee of 800 Baht.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

What kind of level do they get ? Are we looking at 1800 (Old UK 150), or is a 2000+ rating needed ?

I dont think i have seen a tournament like this before in HH. Has there been one ?

With 120,000 baht in prizes (did i read that right ?), suspect a few decent players will turn up.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was discussing chess in Thailand some time ago. I got the impression that Makruk is the more popular version of chess, sometimes called 'Thai chess'. The pieces and board are almost identical although the positioning is a little different as are the moves.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I doubt a Makruk tournament would attract a decent Farang following.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Of course that's the case. Many of the chess tournaments here have been won by 'farangs' with prizes upward of 200K baht.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just did a quick google. It seems that Makruk is played by around 2 million Thais against 5,000 who play chess.
According to former world chess champion Vladimir Kramnik, "Makruk Thai is more strategic than international chess. You have to plan your operations with total care since Makruk Thai can be compared to an anticipated endgame of International Chess
Sorry. I skewed the thread which is about chess and not Makruk.

:offtopic:
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I think there will be a wide range of ratings in this tournament, from 2000 to 0. There is also a chess club in Hua Hin
but I don't go there because I live in Pranburi.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Just did a quick google. It seems that Makruk is played by around 2 million Thais against 5,000 who play chess.
According to former world chess champion Vladimir Kramnik, "Makruk Thai is more strategic than international chess. You have to plan your operations with total care since Makruk Thai can be compared to an anticipated endgame of International Chess
Sorry. I skewed the thread which is about chess and not Makruk.

:offtopic:
Actually according to the poster it's about both markruk sakol and markruk Thai.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Which minister was it who said a year or two ago that he wanted to outlaw dual pricing ? Perhaps he should look at the rules for the rapid team game.

Team fee : 1600 baht.
Team fee : 1200 baht (Thai players only).

Strangely, there is not dual pricing for the individual tournaments. Only the team. Same for the prizes. Thai only prize in the team, not the individual. Wonder why that is ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I looked over the railings at Market Village this morning, just to see what was going on. I must say, I was very surprised to see at least half the tables to be adults playing under 10 y.o. I'm not sure if this was a pucker event, or just a sort of dads vs kids practice session. Quite a lot of trophies on display - it looked as though it had been a good tournament.

Points 48; Position 20
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I played at the chess tournament on May 7th and 8th. There were 18 players in the open section, 3 of them with more than 2000 Elo points. I won the trophy for the best of 3 seniors over 60.