Songkran Holiday Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: 2022 Songkran Holiday Road Accidents

Post by PeteC »

Quite honestly, that site is a mess. Broken links, data missing, code shown instead of content. :banghead:

Regardless, searching through it I could find no pathway to a previous day's numbers.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

26 killed, 238 injured on first day of Songkran travel

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ran-travel (No chart)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:18 pm Quite honestly, that site is a mess. Broken links, data missing, code shown instead of content. :banghead:

Regardless, searching through it I could find no pathway to a previous day's numbers.
I think that's why I was finding it interesting, but frustrating at the same time. I was hoping to get to this link, which is very similar https://www.thairsc.com/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PeteC wrote:This one is better as it's a portion of the RSC site in English: http://www.thairsc.com/eng/

It does state: "Data source : Traffic Accident Data collected from claims filed under Protection for Motor Vehicle Victmes Act. From RVP Company Limited in every province around Thailand."

So we can conclude, I think, that as we suspected their numbers are from insurance data.
RVP = Road Accident Victims Protection

https://www.rvp.co.th/index_en.php

Owned by insurance companies. Its shareholders:
https://www.rvp.co.th/stockholder_en.php

So very, very likely insurance data used.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess if the 'official' numbers during the 7 deadly periods come from insurance stats, if we take into account the number of people not insured in Thailand, it accounts for the low numbers.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:I guess if the 'official' numbers during the 7 deadly periods come from insurance stats, if we take into account the number of people not insured in Thailand, it accounts for the low numbers.
I would be the RSC numbers using insurance figures.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RSC numbers are the figures used all year round, so are you therefore saying they are grossly overstated, and Thailand is actually a driving paradise?

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:58 pm RSC numbers are the figures used all year round, so are you therefore saying they are grossly overstated, and Thailand is actually a driving paradise?
We all know it isn't. Spending fifteen minutes driving/riding on any highway here will confirm the fact that it is one of the most dangerous countries in the world to drive in. Watch the "accident hour" on Thai news every day and that'll also reinforce the premise.

Its pretty obvious what is happening here, the junta is manipulating the stats (as they do with covid and tourism) to make themselves look better - an "election" is approaching after all. Absolutely nothing has been done to improve road safety or reduce the shocking road fatality figures over the past few years so there is no reason for fatalities to drop by two-thirds almost overnight.

All stats here are bullshit, which is why it is not a good idea to pay too much heed to them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:RSC numbers are the figures used all year round, so are you therefore saying they are grossly overstated, and Thailand is actually a driving paradise?
No. I'm saying I tend to trust the RSC figures more than the government's 7 deadly days figures because the RSC uses information from the insurance companies. Whereas the government sets a target which its minions are likely to try and match.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

47 killed, 292 injured in Songkran road accidents on Tuesday - govt

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... esday-govt

Still no chart at link. They may have done away with them this year.

One thing made clear in today's article, the death number is only those who die on the spot, not later on in a hospital.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think that's the same for all road deaths. Only those that die on the spot and those that die later are never included.

I wonder what that would do to the annual figures.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:48 pm I think that's the same for all road deaths. Only those that die on the spot and those that die later are never included.

I wonder what that would do to the annual figures.
My thinking at the moment is that the Thai RSC site may include those who die later given that they use insurance company data to arrive at their numbers. Just a thought.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You could be right, Pete. Certainly makes more sense.

But missing out on those not insured which I guess is quite substantial. I may be wrong.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:00 pm You could be right, Pete. Certainly makes more sense.

But missing out on those not insured which I guess is quite substantial. I may be wrong.
I believe that the "insurance" is the compulsory, which is tied to the vehicle is'nt?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Road accidents, injuries rising during Songkran holiday

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... an-holiday

I guess this is today's report.