120 kph speed limit comes local

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: 120 kph speed limit comes local

Post by Big Boy »

When I heard about the 120kph speed limit, I actually thought how sensible. Most Interstate highways were man enough, and many abused the 90kph limit anyway. After all, 120kph is what most Brits understand.

Only Thailand could have turned something so sensible into something that has to be abused to make it work.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I wonder which politician's relative(s) scored the contract to make the new speed limit signs?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The concrete central reservation would have been more lucrative. I hate to think what happens if you hit a 5 mile long concrete wall at 120kph.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:The concrete central reservation would have been more lucrative. I hate to think what happens if you hit a 5 mile long concrete wall at 120kph.
Not to worry, you won't hit all 5 miles. And probably won't damage it too much either.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Note: a bit long, bear with me.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense.A few things to take into consideration, though.
First off, the roads where they are introducing these staggered limits were not designed as highways as per se. The 'proper' highways where the speed limits are at 120 for all lanes have conditions attached.
1. They are toll roads, and are self-contained. If you don't pay a toll, you don't get in.
2. No motorcycles allowed.
3. No buffaloes, either.

Now, the roads where they are introducing these staggered limits were, at one time, toll roads. The toll was for the purpose of expanding a single lane road into a dual carriageway.The road was originally cut through farmland basically to make it straight and was built to avoid the towns (Hwy 32, for example) as the original route up to Chiangmai went through the towns. They removed those toll booths in the early '90's once the construction was paid for.
The problem with this is that all kinds of traffic, from motorcycles through farm vehicles, is still allowed. So they used a general speed limit of 90 kph, as slow traffic would have to cross the road to access the u-turns.

Now with the introduction of the staggered speed limits, some preparation has been done. The first was changing the u-turns from being above ground to an underpass style that would not disrupt the flow of traffic in any lane. This was a pain in the butt as every time I had to make the trip up, there was construction all over the place.
However, now that it is mostly done,slower traffic can still stay in the leftmost lane, and those people who can drive faster can legally use the outer lanes without too much fear of encountering something really slow.
Also, you won't get idiots trying to go 120 in the slow lane most times, because they know that's where most of the slow traffic would be.

It does speed up my journey somewhat as I don't have to watch out for speed traps and stray e-tans in the outermost lane. A radar detector has been standard equipment in all my vehicles since the early '90's and has saved me some dosh but mostly time as I don't typically get stopped.
I believe with time the attitude will slowly change and for the better.
My two baht worth.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Also, you won't get idiots trying to go 120 in the slow lane most times, because they know that's where most of the slow traffic would be.
Haha. But you'll still get the slow traffic in the outer lane as now causing fast traffic to undertake in whatever lane looks best. Rama II is a perfect example.

Look at the HH to Ch-Am highway. The faster traffic is impeded in the outer lane by buses, pick-ups and others who think it's their right to stay in the 'fast' lane regardless of speed.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A very sensible post VincentD, but unfortunately there will be a considerable minority who won’t follow the rules of the road - they don’t do it now so it’s unlikely they’ll become model drivers overnight!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
Haha. But you'll still get the slow traffic in the outer lane as now causing fast traffic to undertake in whatever lane looks best. Rama II is a perfect example.

Look at the HH to Ch-Am highway. The faster traffic is impeded in the outer lane by buses, pick-ups and others who think it's their right to stay in the 'fast' lane regardless of speed.
But to be fair some of those pick-ups will be turning right, eventually. In 2 or 3 kms. You have to get in the right lane early you know. Preferably straight from whatever side soi they come out of.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

VincentD said: "Now, the roads where they are introducing these staggered limits were, at one time, toll roads."

According to BB (way back at the beginning) these limits have been introduced between Tha Yang and Phetchaburi.

I've been driving between Bangkok and Hua Hin since the early nineties (sometimes just on graded dirt when they were basically building the roads) and never encountered any toll other than the expressway in Bangkok. So Vincent may be right about going north but this statement doesn't seem to apply to coming south.

Can't be sure about Petchkasem north from Pak To.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Great signal to the public as if covid -19 haven't taken out enough people, encouraging people in a country with some of the worst traffic statistic in the world to drive faster, is it some kind of population reduction! :shock:
hahuahin
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:49 pm
But to be fair some of those pick-ups will be turning right, eventually. In 2 or 3 kms. You have to get in the right lane early you know. Preferably straight from whatever side soi they come out of.
This is a feeble excuse, the vast majority of them (100% of the busses) hog the outside lane because the inner ones are so smashed up they don't want to drive on them. More so on highways in the south as most of the road repair budget goes to Issan as that's where the voters (recipients of envelopes) are.

So this speed limit by lane will never work nationwide when you're constantly undertaking slower vehicles hogging the "fast" lane. Its another clear example of the "me first" attitude that makes the roads here so deadly.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter had a flight at 02:30 this morning which necessitated a night time trip to Swampy. First time I've been there since before covid. It was really weird driving through the road complex to the airport with virtually no traffic. I took advantage of the new speeds. I've always been a stickler for keeping to speed limits but this time on my return journey I used and abused the system. (Swampy to home in a little over 2 hours! Most of the time I was in the 140 - 150 kph. An experience that couldn't be repeated in daytime traffic. It was a breath of fresh air and the car got a good blowout.

Now for my observations:
There are many new 'end of limit' signs (diagonal black line on a circular white) but I couldn't get my head round what they meant. In the UK it means that you revert to the national speed limit and supercedes any prior limits. That doesn't apply here and they appeared pretty random with no obvious pattern.
As there are now speed limits for each lane, doing 120 means staying in the offside lane which negates the rule 'keep to the leftmost lane'. Consequently there isn't an overtaking lane. Doing 120 on the 'fast lane' you come across someone doing 100. He's perfectly legal travelling at the minimum speed (100) but there's no way of overtaking him. You can't legally undertake as that would mean breaking the 100 max on the middle lane. Taking that to it's ridiculousnes, you could have someone driving at 100 followed by a never ending queue of vehicles stretching behind. Imagine that on a completely empty road bar a long queue in the 'fast lane'.
Furthermore, anyone wanting to do a u-turn would join the outer lane, speeding up to the minimum (100) and technically having to approach the u-turn at that speed!!

There are numerous signs from the previous 'era' showing 90 kph but overridden by the new overhead signs and the painted on the road signs. You'd have thought someone would have been charged with covering the old signage to save confusion. If I'd have been pulled over and the cop asked me if I knew the speed limit, I'd have to respond "No idea. Do you know?"

Of course you still get the slow pickups on the outside lane. I doubt that will change.
There's also the new limits for different vehicles. To do 120 the vehicle has to have less than 7 seats. Mine is an SUV officially classed as a 7 seater. 2 of the seats are pop-up seats in the boot space. Does that mean I have to join the slower traffic lanes?

All in all it's a system that has had little thought. Destined to fail.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought they had done away with u-turns on roads with the new 120 limit. Plus, it’s vehicles with more than 7 seats, so you’re ok.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel, I think you are basically saying the same as my OP. Many of the 'old' signs mean you return to old rules i.e. limits increase in lane 1, but decrease in lanes 2 and 3 - simples (if you're a mathematician). TIT

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:35 am I thought they had done away with u-turns on roads with the new 120 limit. Plus, it’s vehicles with more than 7 seats, so you’re ok.
Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour
Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
Vehicles with more than 15 seats or weighing over 2,200 kilograms: maximum 90 kilometres per hour
Tricycles and tow trucks: maximum 65 kilometres per hour
Motorcycles: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
Motorcycles with engines of 400cc or more: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
School buses: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
Clearly says fewer than 7 seats.